Tk sucks on irops

Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK G, A3 G
Tk sucks on irops

Was on a itin from DXB-IST-HAM with a 1:10h transit in IST. The outbound DXB-IST was delayed by one hour due to weather. I was sure TK would put me on next flight same day, but no, at the transit desk was told I'm rebooked for the next morning flight and had to overnight in Istanbul. As I saw the last flight on same day was still available to purchase online, I enquired and was told the flights has only seats in business class which are not possible to take, because my booking was in economy. Naturally I asked to talk to a supervisor, but also she refused. After demanding to return to Dubai, they finally gave up, upgraded some people to business class and gave us two seats apart from each other in Economy. After heading through security to the Lounge I was able to get economy seats assigned together from the lounge attendant.

Turkish is really most stupid airline when it comes to treatment in situations of irregularities, they won't give you any available seat. They constantly blaming the customer for their own mistakes. Funny they won't even hand out stand by boarding cards, but will send people to the hotel, even if the flight would leave in the end with open seats.

For me personally, that was really my last flight with them. They should not treat any customer like this and for sure not their most loyal alliance customers.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ G, AZ E
Sorry to hear about you experience. I usually handle IROPs in the TK lounge. They seem there to be of better service.
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I think there is a misunderstanding here. There is no duty to let you travel in business class when Economy class is full. No airline will do that. TK did everything by the book here by rebooking you until the next day. You should be happy that TK was actually able to accommodate you on the flight that you wished, but perhaps the real issue here is that you not happy that TK decided to upgrade others (most likely TK Elite+, Elite or S A Gold pax) rather than you ?

Gate staff was even able to seat you together, so what are you actually complaining about ?
ovacikar, SKT-DK, flyjfk and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I think there is a misunderstanding here. There is no duty to let you travel in business class when Economy class is full. No airline will do that. TK did everything by the book here by rebooking you until the next day. You should be happy that TK was actually able to accommodate you on the flight that you wished, but perhaps the real issue here is that you not happy that TK decided to upgrade others (most likely TK Elite+, Elite or S A Gold pax) rather than you ?

Gate staff was even able to seat you together, so what are you actually complaining about ?
I find that the OP is saying a different thing. OP is complaining that TK didnt put them in the next available flight although the flight was not fully booked. TK should have proactively upgraded Y passengers to make room for the OP to catch that flight. In practice, they didnt and therefore OP has the full right to be angry and disappointed with the TK service. I also think that you missed the fact that OP is at least a *A G or more because the OP continued the handling of the matter at TK lounge. Had you looked at the OPs profile, you would know that the OP is not only *A G (A3 G) but also TK G.
LAX/HKG likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerby
TK should have proactively upgraded Y passengers to make room for the OP to catch that flight. In practice, they didn’t and therefore OP has the full right to be angry and disappointed with the TK service.
You certainly have high expectation to the TK agents doing the rebooking! If a flight is fully booked in Economy it is not the duty nor can be expected from transfer desk agents to start upgrading (other) pax to accommodate 2 pax on a flight. This is not reasonable to expect that and most likely not even possible for the TK agent doing the rebooking. If a flight is fully booked (in Economy) it is fully booked and the pax in Economy can't be rebooked to that flight. Period. The expectation that TK agents should go the extra mile to accommodate even Elite pax, is simply not reasonable.

Do you expect TK also to start off-loading other pax from the flight to accommodate 2 Elite pax?

Originally Posted by flyerby
I also think that you missed the fact that OP is at least a *A G or more because the OP continued the handling of the matter at TK lounge. Had you looked at the OP’s profile, you would know that the OP is not only *A G (A3 G) but also TK G.
Correct, my bad. Still the complaint sounds more like sour grapes comments to me, i.e. disappointment that TK didn't upgrade them but decided to upgrade other pax.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:13 am

You certainly have high expectation to the TK agents doing the rebooking!
Correct. I certainly have high expectations from TK.

Do you expect TK also to start off-loading other pax from the flight to accommodate 2 Elite pax?
It doesnt matter what I expect. It is a known practice with airlines that when a flight is overbooked the airlines elite passengers are not the ones who are going to be left on the ground (unless they volunteer).
AJNEDC and Deckter like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You certainly have high expectation to the TK agents doing the rebooking! If a flight is fully booked in Economy it is not the duty nor can be expected from transfer desk agents to start upgrading (other) pax to accommodate 2 pax on a flight. This is not reasonable to expect that and most likely not even possible for the TK agent doing the rebooking.
I believe this is indeed a very reasonable expectation. If there are empty seats, then TK can decide who gets an upgrade, but to have irrops pax wait until the next day while the plane jets off with empty seats is unreasonable.

I'd say, if OP had expected a seat in J, that would have been a bit unreasonable. But to expect a seat in Y (and have TK upgrade whoever they wish if necessary) is completely reasonable.
AJNEDC, LAX/HKG and Deckter like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Deleted. Violated the rules of not debating drunks and/or fools.

Last edited by tkelvin69; Oct 28, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Well. first, it was a weather delay so it appears they filled Y either with those passengers or was full prior. Second, demanding to be returned to Dubai says a lot about your demeanor and approach. They probably had other passengers to assist rather than unreasonable demands.

Did YOU take any proactive steps prior to departure?
Yeah, the OP himself proactively checked that there was a flight leaving the same day, and which was not full. Says so in the first post.
What other "proactive" steps do you suggest OP should have taken?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:30 am

Correct, my bad. Still the complaint sounds more like sour grapes comments to me, i.e. disappointment that TK didn't upgrade them but decided to upgrade other pax.
Having read and re-read OP's post, I do not share your sentiments at all.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Having read and re-read OP's post, I do not share your sentiments at all.
And thats what is really important. 🙄

Last edited by tkelvin69; Oct 28, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:03 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Well the thread title is what every regular TK flyer should remember. They generally suck at IROPS. Now as for accommodating pax in another service class, it really varies and while it can work sometimes the expectation should not be that it will work, elite or no elite.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
And thats what is really important. 🙄

The OP could have called or changed flights on the app. It was a short connection with a weather delay. Perhaps an experienced flyer might have taken action before departure instead of waiting until the connecting flight and then wanting to go home when they didnt get their way.

The OP really didnt understand options and how airlines work. Seats for sale doesnt equate to available seats on the flight. There could have been other misconnecting passengers. TK did rebook him but how are they to know the desires of every passenger?

lots of assumptions but no action and, frankly, a childish post.
In my experience you can't change anything on the TK app less than 24 hours before the flight departs. At least that was the case last time I tried, one year ago. Calling is not necessarily easy without incurring very costly roaming charges, unless you have prepared in advance for things like that with a Skype/Google voice/etc. account.

I obviously also do not understand how airlines work, as I'd think if I can buy a seat on a flight, there are seats available on that flight.
Possibly you could educate me on how that works?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
I obviously also do not understand how airlines work, as I'd think if I can buy a seat on a flight, there are seats available on that flight.
Possibly you could educate me on how that works?
Some airlines including TK would sell last minute expensive tickets and oversell the flight, where they usually make a profit by dumping someone to a future flight or seeking volunteers ( or basically relying on no-shows or people without correct documentation ) even if they are due to pay compensation and duty of care as they make a profit.

The law allows TK and other airlines to overbook their planes by 10%.
SK AAR, eqeqeqx, nacho and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is an important point, ISTFlyer. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.