Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

USA To IST best way to get J - married segments?

Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

So I churned some credit card points in the hopes of getting more business availability on TK and being able to transfer. Lo and behold after reading a bunch of threads on here and looking into it myself looks like there are hardly any business flights (45k miles) direct USA (IAH or DFW) to IST. I"m talking about next February, September, even I looked for December this year...

I also read that TK saves alot of these for married segments? So my question is... is there a way to use married segments to get to Istanbul and get me better availability - I'm sure I could skip lag - Would I get banned if I do this? Anyone have experience with this? Is there another way?

Addtionally let's say I wan to go to portugal so I can utilize the married segments - but I want to do it multi city so I have a few days in Istanbul first... I believe there is no way to search this with award flights on TK website right? Thanks for the help
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingTurk1
So I churned some credit card points in the hopes of getting more business availability on TK and being able to transfer. Lo and behold after reading a bunch of threads on here and looking into it myself looks like there are hardly any business flights (45k miles) direct USA (IAH or DFW) to IST. I"m talking about next February, September, even I looked for December this year...

I also read that TK saves alot of these for married segments? So my question is... is there a way to use married segments to get to Istanbul and get me better availability - I'm sure I could skip lag - Would I get banned if I do this? Anyone have experience with this? Is there another way?

Addtionally let's say I wan to go to portugal so I can utilize the married segments - but I want to do it multi city so I have a few days in Istanbul first... I believe there is no way to search this with award flights on TK website right? Thanks for the help
More experienced people might chime in but:
1. TK for award tickets started recently a practice of even for "married segments" trying to charge you the sum of the two segments (i.e. USA IST + IST XXX instead of USA IST XXX at 45k). I usually got it 'resolved' by the sales office as they could ticket a recent OPO-IST-MLE as 45k instead of what the agents on the phone wanted. So this is to say married segments might not be your saviour.
2. I think beyond just getting banned (which is always a possibility) you have potential issues of asking to check your luggage only through IST, which the check-in agents in IAH and DFW might not allow.
3. TK has very little availability US - IST and release so well in advance... but... I can see availability: i can see Jan 29 or Jan 30 with seats available. Same for example for Feb 12th (1 seat) or 19th / 22nd (2 seats). This changes rapidly so... YMMV

I would setup some alerts on ExpertFlyer (although not always reliable!) and check regularly, specially if you have flexibility around dates. If you want to try the married segment route you can try to reach a sales office but do keep in mind that any connection > 24h will trigger charges for the two segments as separate and I don't think even sales office will be able to help with that). Also unsure if this won't invalidate the better availability you're seeking.

Finally you might want to look at upgrade availability, which might make sense for you as it is usually more available (class J vs. I) and given (1) it accrues miles; (2) TK charges crazy taxes on top of the miles - it might just make sense!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa

I would setup some alerts on ExpertFlyer (although not always reliable!) and check regularly, specially if you have flexibility around dates.

!
Didn't Star Alliance just banned ExpertFlyer?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ G, AZ E
Originally Posted by AfterHour
Didn't Star Alliance just banned ExpertFlyer?
Most *A carriers did but not TK.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
2. I think beyond just getting banned (which is always a possibility) you have potential issues of asking to check your luggage only through IST, which the check-in agents in IAH and DFW might not allow.
!
Regardless if tagged to final destination by the check-in agents in the US, the OP always be able to ask for the luggage upon arrival in IST. If the OP is not boarding the IST-XXX flight the checked luggage will not be loaded on the flight but stay in IST (to be collected there by the OP). So regardless if the agents in the US decide not cooperate and tag bags to IST only, the OP will be able to collect the bags at IST (it is just a bit more complicated than if tagged to IST only)
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Regardless if tagged to final destination by the check-in agents in the US, the OP always be able to ask for the luggage upon arrival in IST. If the OP is not boarding the IST-XXX flight the checked luggage will not be loaded on the flight but stay in IST (to be collected there by the OP). So regardless if the agents in the US decide not cooperate and tag bags to IST only, the OP will be able to collect the bags at IST (it is just a bit more complicated than if tagged to IST only)
Exactly. This is the I dont feel well syndrome (and therefore cant take my next flight).
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerby
Exactly. This is the I dont feel well syndrome (and therefore cant take my next flight).
what happened to "honesty is the best policy."?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by AfterHour
what happened to "honesty is the best policy."?
Sure, there are other more honest ways. You can wait in the airport till your connecting flight has left and say that you (intentionally) missed your connecting flight. I dont recommend this method as your connecting flight will be delayed because of the unloading of your baggage.
What about honesty may not be always the.best policy? 😁

Last edited by flyerby; Oct 30, 2023 at 1:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.