Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Advice for arriving in Istanbul - metro and phone

Old Feb 7, 2023, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG PLT

The new M11 line to Kâğithane is very fast and nice, but you need an Istanbulcard to get on it (in spite of the Istanbul metro website saying it's free). Right at the moment, none of the new machines which take credit/debit cards is turned on, so there are only two old machines operating, which only take cash (a 100TL note to get an Istanbulcard with 5 journeys). There are no ATMs in the Metro station, so you must get a100TL note from an ATM in the airport before heading to the metro. When I was there, one of the machines was out of Istanbulcards, which seems to be a common occurrence, so check each one either side of the metro gates. You can set English as the preferred display language by clicking the left bottom/top buttons to select the union flag.

If you have a Google Pixel phone, it seems to insist on trying to connect to a 3G service for which it doesn't have a band receiver, meaning you mostly don't get any data connection. To get data, you have to set the phone to select LTE bands only (use *#*#4636*#*# to pull up the hidden Testing/Phone Information menu then select "LTE only" under "Set preferred network type").
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Useful information. I cherish and hang on to my now over six year old Istanbulkart....
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by jejb
The new M11 line to Kâğithane is very fast and nice, but you need an Istanbulcard to get on it (in spite of the Istanbul metro website saying it's free). Right at the moment, none of the new machines which take credit/debit cards is turned on, so there are only two old machines operating, which only take cash (a 100TL note to get an Istanbulcard with 5 journeys). There are no ATMs in the Metro station, so you must get a100TL note from an ATM in the airport before heading to the metro. When I was there, one of the machines was out of Istanbulcards, which seems to be a common occurrence, so check each one either side of the metro gates. You can set English as the preferred display language by clicking the left bottom/top buttons to select the union flag.

If you have a Google Pixel phone, it seems to insist on trying to connect to a 3G service for which it doesn't have a band receiver, meaning you mostly don't get any data connection. To get data, you have to set the phone to select LTE bands only (use *#*#4636*#*# to pull up the hidden Testing/Phone Information menu then select "LTE only" under "Set preferred network type").
Thanks, is your Pixel bought in the US? If that's the case it could be the 4/5G bands they are trying to connect in Europe as we use different bands. I had a google nexus phone bought in the US a while back and I couldn't connect to 4G because they don't have the same frequency.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
At the moment, the airport metro is free of charge until February 23, 2023 ( maybe only for Turkish citizens though ) and due to the tragic events in the Southeastern part of Türkiye, the airport metro is operating 24/7 until Sunday night,

nacho and YLWflyer like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
At the moment, the airport metro is free of charge until February 23, 2023 ( maybe only for Turkish citizens though ) and due to the tragic events in the Southeastern part of Türkiye, the airport metro is operating 24/7 until Sunday night,

https://twitter.com/Marmaraytcdd/sta...67986504667136
This didn't seem to be true on Wednesday 8 February when I went from Kağithane to IST on M11. You were still required to present Istanbulcards as normal. The screen didn't show the usual "we've charged you 9.90" screen, so it could be it charged zero *my Turkish isn't good enough to know what it actually said), but without a card you still can't get on the Metro.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks, is your Pixel bought in the US? If that's the case it could be the 4/5G bands they are trying to connect in Europe as we use different bands. I had a google nexus phone bought in the US a while back and I couldn't connect to 4G because they don't have the same frequency.
Yes, it's a US pixel. My problem is there's no overlap in the 3G range. There is in the LTE range. Türk Telecom (preferred Fi provider) seems to prefer 3G and the phone complies even though it can't get data on that band. The only way to get Data on Türk Telecom is to force the phone to refuse 3G by setting it to LTE only (for which a US phone usually does have overlap with European LTE phone bands).
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Yes, it's a US pixel. My problem is there's no overlap in the 3G range. There is in the LTE range. Türk Telecom (preferred Fi provider) seems to prefer 3G and the phone complies even though it can't get data on that band. The only way to get Data on Türk Telecom is to force the phone to refuse 3G by setting it to LTE only (for which a US phone usually does have overlap with European LTE phone bands).
Yes it does but not many. Bought a OnePlus 8 from the US 2 Black Friday ago for $249. LTE bands are pretty overlapped between Europe and the US but there's only 1 5G band on that phone that is used by my provider which means that 4G+ is the fastest it can do.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
This didn't seem to be true on Wednesday 8 February when I went from Kağithane to IST on M11. You were still required to present Istanbulcards as normal. The screen didn't show the usual "we've charged you 9.90" screen, so it could be it charged zero *my Turkish isn't good enough to know what it actually said), but without a card you still can't get on the Metro.
You always have to touch in with the Istanbulkart even if it says it's "free". But you are not charged.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Danny Martello
You always have to touch in with the Istanbulkart even if it says it's "free". But you are not charged.
Yes, it is correct that you would still need to tap a card to get the free service.
However, digital İstanbulkart's are free through the İstanbulkart mobile application on the App Store or Google Play for those who are willing to avoid paying for a new card.
DiamondMile likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.