FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   133 miles to Elite (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2106618-133-miles-elite.html)

gzinzani Jan 4, 2023 5:35 am

133 miles to Elite

Hi, I am just 133 status miles away from the Elite status and I am looking for some way to get these before to book the next flight. Any suggestion or anybody that is very generous? :D
I'm thinking to transfer some Mariott Bonvoy points to M&S, but will this increase my "status miles" or just the "regular" miles?

MoPat Jan 4, 2023 11:00 am

You might be able to buy them.

Few years ago it was the same for me. I was able to buy them in the Turkish Airlines application. Check it in the application under the point "miles transactions" and let us know if it's still working ✌🏽

gzinzani Jan 4, 2023 11:17 am

Unfortunatly is allowed to buy miles only if you are M&S member since more than one year wich I am not

starflyergold Jan 4, 2023 11:17 am

You need a flight to gain status miles or buy up on the TK website depending on your cycle (except TK credit card holders in Turkey)

gzinzani Jan 4, 2023 11:32 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 34892176)
You need a flight to gain status miles or buy up on the TK website depending on your cycle (except TK credit card holders in Turkey)

The idea was to buy directly the next flight as Elite member but looks like I cannot buy the miles due to recent membership (<1 year)

No chances with Marriott points conversion?

SK AAR Jan 4, 2023 11:37 am

Originally Posted by gzinzani (Post 34892232)
No chances with Marriott points conversion?

Not possible. Will not increase status miles. Just fly the next TK / Star Alliance flight and wait for the miles to post.

sydunipete Jan 4, 2023 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 34892254)
Not possible. Will not increase status miles. Just fly the next TK / Star Alliance flight and wait for the miles to post.

Correct. Status miles come from flying (or credit cards in Turkey or when buying miles if permitted). Hotel bookings provide bonus miles (that don't count towards status).

ivanwmc Feb 20, 2023 7:37 pm

Can I buy status miles from the 2nd year of M&S membership or from the 2nd year after first crediting miles to M&S?

Stil Feb 21, 2023 2:44 am

Originally Posted by ivanwmc (Post 35027699)
Can I buy status miles from the 2nd year of M&S membership or from the 2nd year after first crediting miles to M&S?

As far as I remember you can not buy status miles in you first circle (2years)
If it were me, I would take the flight just to be sure and if it was very important to me.

monopod Feb 26, 2023 7:49 am

I believe you can only buy status miles to keep the current status in your 2nd year. You can't buy up to the next status. (Say if you're 2nd year Classic Plus, you still can't buy your way up to Elite)

Jaenks Feb 26, 2023 8:54 am

Originally Posted by monopod (Post 35042992)
I believe you can only buy status miles to keep the current status in your 2nd year. You can't buy up to the next status. (Say if you're 2nd year Classic Plus, you still can't buy your way up to Elite)

That is not correct. You can buy up status from Classic Plus to Elite. Do not remember in what year she was but upgraded just month before required 40k status miles of the 12 months period. Have helped done that to my friends daughter.

MD/DC Flyer Feb 26, 2023 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks (Post 35043162)
That is not correct. You can buy up status from Classic Plus to Elite. Do not remember in what year she was but upgraded just month before required 40k status miles of the 12 months period. Have helped done that to my friends daughter.

There is a limit on how many miles one can buy for status retention or upgrade. So while one can upgrade by buying miles, it is only applicable if one is very close to the new status anyway (i.e., you cannot buy miles to just upgrade starting with the lower level without any additional miles).

• Classic members can purchase max. 5,000 Miles for upgrade, Classic Plus can purchase max. 10,000 Miles for upgrade and 5,000 Miles for Classic Plus renewal, Elite can purchase max. 10,000 Miles for upgrade and Elite renewal, Elite Plus can purchase max. 10,000 Miles for Elite Plus renewal.

ivanwmc Feb 26, 2023 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Stil (Post 35028280)
As far as I remember you can not buy status miles in you first circle (2years)
If it were me, I would take the flight just to be sure and if it was very important to me.

Originally Posted by monopod (Post 35042992)

"Members can purchase every 1,000 status miles for 70 USD, Classic Members up to 5,000 Status Miles for status upgrades, Classic Plus members 5,000 Status Miles for status renewal, 10,000 Status Miles for status upgrades, Elite members up to 10,000 Status Miles for status upgrades and status renewals, Elite Plus members up to 10,000 Status Miles for status renewals."

"Classic members can purchase max. 5 000 Miles for upgrade, Classic Plus can purchase max. 10 000 Miles for upgrade and 5 000 Miles for Classic Plus renewal, Elite can purchase max. 10 000 Miles for upgrade and Elite renewal, Elite Plus can purchase max. 10 000 Miles for Elite Plus renewal."

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...64a6146055.png

ivanwmc Feb 26, 2023 12:56 pm

We can't purchase status miles for TK M&S Classic renewal, because it is automatically renewed without any qualification requirements.
We can't purchase status miles for TK M&S Elite Plus upgrade, because it is the highest TK M&S tier already.

Jaenks Feb 26, 2023 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 35043218)
There is a limit on how many miles one can buy for status retention or upgrade. So while one can upgrade by buying miles, it is only applicable if one is very close to the new status anyway (i.e., you cannot buy miles to just upgrade starting with the lower level without any additional miles).

My response was about ability to not buy upgrade at all, which was not correct information. I am aware about the limit but that was not stated in the post to which I replied.