Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Choose seat, operated by Malaysia Airlines?

Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours

Hi all,

I have a Turkish Airlines ticketed flight from BUD to MEL in business. The leg from KUL to MEL is operated by Malaysia Airlines and manage my booking on Turkish doesn't allow me to select my seat for the Malaysia Airlines leg, only BUD to IST and IST to KUL. Is there any way I can get one allocated for the KUL to MEL leg?

TIA
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
As TK and MH use different booking systems you'll need to contact TK for the MH Amadaeus reference. That should allow you to choose a seat otherwise you might need to call MH to do it specially.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
Thanks for the tip! I got my Amadeus reference from MH in the end. However, they say they don't have access to select the seat. When I go into manage my booking via MH's website, it says "seat map not available". Any other top tips or advice? :-)
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
I flew KUL-MEL (in Y) on 31 October on a TK codeshare (MH149/TK4809) but couldn't get the correct PNR out of TK to enable me to do seat selection on MH (the second PNR did allow me to select seats on the TG codeshare though). In the end, I was stuck down the back of the bus (on an aisle fortunately) as I could only get the boarding pass from the MH transit desk in KUL.

I'm also struggling to get my miles for that leg credited to a frequent flyer program I use (SQ or QF), because SQ doesn't recognise bookings on MH when filling out the 'claim missing miles' form (just using the TK references is rejected). Currently waiting to see how I go claiming through QF on the basis of MH being the operating carrier and fellow OW member (although I suspect that also won't work as TK is the marketing carrier)...

So all in all a bit frustrating (but better than the lengthy 22 hour layover I was facing in BKK)...

Last edited by MELso; Nov 20, 2022 at 4:37 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by MELso
I flew KUL-MEL (in Y) on 31 October on a TK codeshare (MH149/TK4809) but couldn't get the correct PNR out of TK to enable me to do seat selection on MH (the second PNR did allow me to select seats on the TG codeshare though). In the end, I was stuck down the back of the bus (on an aisle fortunately) as I could only get the boarding pass from the MH transit desk in KUL.

I'm also struggling to get my miles for that leg credited to a frequent flyer program I use (SQ or QF), because SQ doesn't recognise bookings on MH when filling out the 'claim missing miles' form (just using the TK references is rejected). Currently waiting to see how I go claiming through QF on the basis of MH being the operating carrier and fellow OW member (although I suspect that also won't work as TK is the marketing carrier)...

So all in all a bit frustrating (but better than the lengthy 22 hour layover I was facing in BKK)...
I am curious on your success with QF. I have the same situation later, but am planning to already use my BA number and not wanting it to be credited to TK. I know it from the rules should not work. So am curious. Please update on the outcome.
Is there anywhere on the boarding pass stated (sold as TKxxxx)?

Cheers!
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I am curious on your success with QF. I have the same situation later, but am planning to already use my BA number and not wanting it to be credited to TK. I know it from the rules should not work. So am curious. Please update on the outcome.

Cheers!
On a related note did MELso need to pick up the BP at KUL or did you collect at IST?

Last edited by marble35; Nov 22, 2022 at 11:09 am Reason: Wrong person tagged
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert

Cheers!
Yeah - it was a MH boarding pass with MH149 displayed prominently, and the TK codeshare code underneath in smaller font.

QF has come back unsuccessful though, so will try emailing SQ with my ticket number although I suspect this too will fail and I'll have to add the miles to a TK M&S account (goodness knows what I'll be able to do with a couple of thousand miles in M&S?!?).
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:02 pm

It's very unlikely you can get the miles with SQ or QF.

For *A, the operating carrier needs to be a *A carrier, regardless of the marketing carrier. You won't get any SQ miles on a MH-operated flight.

For OW, both operating and marketing carriers need to be OW. It's marketed by TK so you won't get any QF miles either...
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:29 pm

Looking at other threads, *A relies on the operating carrier being part of *A to determine eligibility (in this case MH, part of OW), while OW relies on the marketing carrier being part of OW to determine eligibility (in this case TK, part of *A), so unfortunately I think this falls between two stools. But I'll email SQ and see what happens (expecting a 'no' though)...
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:59 am
Original Poster

By way of update on this, I added my Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold) frequent flyer number via the Malaysia Airlines app. This enabled me to see the seat that has been reserved for me but it's still impossible to change it. Malaysia Airlines say they can't do it as it's a codeshare and I need to speak to Turkish Airlines. Turkish Airlines say they cannot do it and I need to speak to Malaysia Airlines. Impossible to resolve it seems!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Looking at other threads, *A relies on the operating carrier being part of *A to determine eligibility (in this case MH, part of OW), while OW relies on the marketing carrier being part of OW to determine eligibility (in this case TK, part of *A), so unfortunately I think this falls between two stools. But I'll email SQ and see what happens (expecting a 'no' though)...
Hi MELso,

What was the outcome of this? I am in the same situation - with TK, they awarded me the award miles but not the status miles (they kept referring to it as Bonus miles - which I have no idea what they mean).
For me these status miles are important for me to move to E+.

Cheers!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:27 pm

Oops - slipped my mind! Sorry about that...
Old Dec 6, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF,OZ,AC,VB,BA,SQ, EY, QR
Any workaround? I have an Oman Air Flight number on Malaysian and seem to be in the infinite loop!
Old Dec 6, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by etrust
Any workaround? I have an Oman Air Flight number on Malaysian and seem to be in the infinite loop!
In your case, you may also seek help either in the MH or WY group forums.
etrust likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.