Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Mileage accrual: surname with two word, but on the ticket without space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

A question about mileage accrual if the name on the ticket is not exactly the same as in the Miles and Smiles program:

I have booked several flights with Aegean Airlines with an online travel agency. My surname consists of two parts (e.g. 'VAN BASTEN', 'MAC LANE'). During the booking process the website automatically adjusted my surname as written without space, even if I tried to change it manually. So on the confirmation and on the ticket my surname is written without space (e.g. 'VANBASTEN', 'MACLANE'). Also on the Aegean Airlines website I can find my booking only by entering the whole name without space (while with bookings with other online travel agency I can find my my booking only by entering it with space). So, just two questions about that:

1. As far as I know this shouldn't be any problem at check-in if on the ticket the surname is without space while on the passport it's with space, correct?

2. Since I want to accrue the miles on Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles program, I'm wondering if this is a problem? I'm registerd in the Miles and Smiles program as e.g. 'VAN BASTEN' OR 'MAC LANE' but not as 'VANBASTEN' or 'MACLANE'. Will there be a problem with the mileage accrual in general? Flying regularly with Aegean Airlines the miles normally get credit automatically when on the ticket my surname is written in two separate word. Does anybody have personal experience?

3. (added question). It's not only that the surname is written in one word, but in some booking also 'MR' is attached to my first name, e.g. 'WILLIAMMR VONBASTEN'. I know this shouldn't be any problem at check-in, but again, what about mileage accrual?

Since these flights are also meant to be kind of status run, these are obviously quite relevant questions to me

Last edited by Maksy; Nov 11, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Old Nov 12, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by Maksy
A question about mileage accrual if the name on the ticket is not exactly the same as in the Miles and Smiles program:

I have booked several flights with Aegean Airlines with an online travel agency. My surname consists of two parts (e.g. 'VAN BASTEN', 'MAC LANE'). During the booking process the website automatically adjusted my surname as written without space, even if I tried to change it manually. So on the confirmation and on the ticket my surname is written without space (e.g. 'VANBASTEN', 'MACLANE'). Also on the Aegean Airlines website I can find my booking only by entering the whole name without space (while with bookings with other online travel agency I can find my my booking only by entering it with space). So, just two questions about that:

1. As far as I know this shouldn't be any problem at check-in if on the ticket the surname is without space while on the passport it's with space, correct?

2. Since I want to accrue the miles on Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles program, I'm wondering if this is a problem? I'm registerd in the Miles and Smiles program as e.g. 'VAN BASTEN' OR 'MAC LANE' but not as 'VANBASTEN' or 'MACLANE'. Will there be a problem with the mileage accrual in general? Flying regularly with Aegean Airlines the miles normally get credit automatically when on the ticket my surname is written in two separate word. Does anybody have personal experience?

3. (added question). It's not only that the surname is written in one word, but in some booking also 'MR' is attached to my first name, e.g. 'WILLIAMMR VONBASTEN'. I know this shouldn't be any problem at check-in, but again, what about mileage accrual?

Since these flights are also meant to be kind of status run, these are obviously quite relevant questions to me

Quite a common issue with Turkish Airlines.

I normally wait until after the flight & raise a feedback query attaching a copy of passport & miles are always then added.
Maksy likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lioneye

I normally wait until after the flight & raise a feedback query attaching a copy of passport & miles are always then added.
Thanks! So I prepare myself to send a few feedbacks then, actually after every flight But as long as TK will credit without further complications then that will be fine.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye

Just an update for those searching this subject.

Following my lastest TK flights, which all showed the joined first & second names, I logged into my miles account and was simply able to add the flight details into the missing miles section and they all uploaded correctly.

You need flight numbers, ticket numbers & booking class.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Let us see if the miles post automatically; somehow I'm a bit sceptic here...
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Let us see if the miles post automatically; somehow I'm a bit sceptic here...
Not sure what you mean by automatically.

I added them manually and they all posted & are still there a week later.

Same with my wife's account who had the same middle name issue.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I mean when you book a flight and add the number - or add it during OLCI/check-in. I wasn't referring to retroactive applying for miles for flights in the past.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I mean when you book a flight and add the number - or add it during OLCI/check-in. I wasn't referring to retroactive applying for miles for flights in the past.
Ah right, the issue I had pre-flights was that an error message would pop up saying the ticketed name didn't match the account name so couldn't be added.

No such message appeared post flights & I was able to add the flight details whilst logged into my account.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 4:41 pm

Throwing in the (Turkish) Towel

We've had the same name problem and none of the above options have worked for us. I had ticket numbers, boarding passes, etc. After website fails, phone calls, feedback messages, and emails, I was finally able to add my own miles for a recent family trip via the feedback route. We tried the same with my son but they won't add his miles without a copy of his passport (which I didn't have to provide to get my miles). There is no way I'm sending a copy of his passport to this company. Not even going to bother to open M&S accounts for the rest of the family as this doesn't exactly instill confidence in this program. After spending hours of my time trying to get my own miles added and our unsuccessful attempts to get my son's added, we decided to close his zero miles account (after the phone agent suggested it). Nope. They won't close it without a copy of his passport. Since I don't want to go through this every time I fly Turkish Airlines, I'll likely just fly another airline if I have a choice.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Welcome to FT. If your son has flown TK, the airline already has all his passport info, so sending TK a copy will not provide them with any information that they don't have already.
Lioneye likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:06 am

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it. My problem is not with them having his information (I understand that they already extracted it when he travelled with them), it's with sending a copy of his passport via email over the internet. The obstacle is with them having combined his first and middle names into one long name on the ticket, which seems to be standard practice for them. And the onus is on me to "correct" their mistake. They did the same with all of our names, but I wasn't required to send a copy of my passport to get the miles (though it DID take hours of my time to sort it all out). Not sure why they're now requiring it for my son. Turkish was a good option for one of the countries we like to travel to. But this is just way too much work to have to go through every time I book with them.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Welcome to FT!
At least the situation here seems better than some other airlines who would ask your selfie with your passport page in your hand similar as you were signing to a crypto website.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by hatethisbit
Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it. My problem is not with them having his information (I understand that they already extracted it when he travelled with them), it's with sending a copy of his passport via email over the internet. The obstacle is with them having combined his first and middle names into one long name on the ticket, which seems to be standard practice for them. And the onus is on me to "correct" their mistake. They did the same with all of our names, but I wasn't required to send a copy of my passport to get the miles (though it DID take hours of my time to sort it all out). Not sure why they're now requiring it for my son. Turkish was a good option for one of the countries we like to travel to. But this is just way too much work to have to go through every time I book with them.
When I did it I uploaded the passport to the feedback page. Even if you do it on an email what's the risk? You can get a photo of any passport on the internet so the chances of theft/clone are non existent.

Bite the bullet & do it. I know it's a ball ache but you may want to use Turkish at some point in the future.
hatethisbit likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:04 pm

I haven't run into that one yet, thankfully. That's a bit crazy.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:10 pm

Fair point. I might try to submit the request again. I've got to do this for five people, though, so I'll probably wait until I have a chunk of time to screw with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.