Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Visa for Forced overnight layover in IST Due to Schedule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

On a mileage ticket SFO to IST to ATH in Business Class.
Due to delayed flight, we are now forced to overnight in IST. Turkish Air claims they will cover hotel, transport, and meals.
We are trying to figure out what Visa's we need and who pays? We both have USA passports.
Anyone with any experience with this?
We called Turkish but they had no idea at all shockingly.
Also if anyone has experience with how this is handled would be great any input / suggestions.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
As an american you'll have to get the visa from: www.evisa.gov.tr. I have seen evisa places inside the airport .. however it's better to be safe than sorry. Call them and ask them how that is intended to go. You can't leave the airport without it.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. We had sort of hoped that Turkish Airlines would in some way handle the process and costs given this is due to a flight delay. But sounds like that isnot the case.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This might be out-of-date, but I remember getting a Turkish visa on arrival (USA passport) at IST and paying exactly with a USA $20 bill. (My impression was that this was the only possible payment method then.) It didn't take long, but there was an official behind a counter with a mob of people handing him passports and the twenty dollar bill. He would stamp the passport and hand it back: no questions or anything.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Yes, TK would cover hotels, transportation and meals at Istanbul due to the delay.
However, getting the correct documents to enter Türkiye is the responsibility of the passenger so OP, you would need to pay for your own visas.

I am not sure if visa on arrival is still a thing but I remember that desk open when I last passed in front of it last month after arriving from an international flight.
DiamondMile and thaitraveller like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I will note that TK has been really amazing with the flight change and communicative, responsive, and flexible. They have really been good. We just couldn't find anyone on this one point. The SFO team was very good.
Always unfortunate with things go wrong, but they really handled it all very very well and impressively.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

PS: What hotels does Turkish Air put biz passengers in in IST? Any recs?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
PS: What hotels does Turkish Air put biz passengers in in IST? Any recs?
You will be assigned at hotel when you arrive at the TK hotel desk in the arrivals hall (after immigration and customs); i.e. same procedure as if you were eligible for a transfer hotel. You will not be assigned a hotel in advance/by the staff handling the rebooking. There is a dedicated thread with a lot of info on the TK transfer hotel program.

TK is not going handle or pay for your visa. Depending on your new transfer time at IST, it may not be worth to spend a few hours at hotel far away from airport. Just stay at the airport until the following day. This is very common at IST and as you have lounge access it is no issue.

EDIT: Have you been rebooked to 26AUG TK1841 IST-ATH at 01:20 or to 26AUG TK1843 IST-ATH at 07:40 ?

26AUG TK1841 at 01:20 is fully booked so most likely you have not been rebooked to that flight. You can try to ask at the lounge upon arrival at IST if seats have become available for this flight in the meantime. It would solve your issues with visa etc.

If you have been rebooked to 26AUG TK1843 at 07:40, you have effectively a 12h transfer at IST, which will give you around 5-6 hours at the hotel (because you will be picked up by the TK hotel shuttle bus from hotel around 4 hours before your flight), so you should take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to stay airside at IST rather than going for transfer hotel.
thaitraveller likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 26, 2022 at 1:27 am
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
It was 50$ when I got one a month or so ago, but it's a 6mo multiple re-entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.