Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Say hi to Türkiye Hava Yolları or maybe Türk Hava Yolları

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...rkiye-airlines

Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:29 pm
jxd

I'm not turkish but from my limited understanding, "hava yollari" means airlines, and turkiye (turkey) airlines just sounds odd.. to me at least
84fiero and brokenwindow like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
Sounds odd to everyone. Trying to change the name of the most well known brand of the country is a bad idea. But he is a politician. Very bad one. And that is the game he chose today.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don’t know how to create the “ı” character with my keyboard, and I am not motivated enough to google it, so I will either continue to call the the airline Turkish Airlines, or I will spell it with an “i”.

And I will also continue to use the English name Turkey for the country, just like I use the English names for countries like Great Britain, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Austria, United States, … when speaking English, and their respective names in other languages when I speak/write in other languages.
redadeco and cad-spe like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Read on the news that one of the reasons for changing the name from Turkey to Türkiye was that when searching on the net the former will give you results about poultry.
The same does not hold for Turkish. The top results refer to TK.
rozy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don’t know how to create the “ı” character with my keyboard, and I am not motivated enough to google it, so I will either continue to call the the airline Turkish Airlines, or I will spell it with an “i”.
FYI, Alt+0239 = ï

The name of the airline in Turkish is Türk Hava Yollari (literally, 'Turkish Air Ways') so it would seem reasonable to put that on the side of the aircraft, but rebranding it as Türkïye Hava Yollari (in order to promote the rebranding of the country itself) seems a bit awkward, rather like suddenly having to fly with Britain Airways.

Then again AF is not French Air and QR is not Qatari Airways, so it is just a matter of which 'style' one is used to.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:50 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Nonsensical move. Turkish Airlines is Turkey's strongest brand and now to change it into something which is not easy to promote globally is just silly. By all means use it locally (Türk Hava Yolları worked fine so far) but I doubt this will catch on globally.

On the country question the argument that Turkey is being confused with the bird is just feeble and speaks more to one person's insecurity than to a real problem. The vast majority of people will stick with Turkey no doubt.
z4017, TPJ, sydunipete and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Just tried with voice on Google Translate - new name will be very hard to pronounce for many (me including)
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
If they feel they must make a statement of chance, why on earth not go back to the (I think, grammatically correct?) Türk Hava Yollari as in the old days? This new version just sounds silly...
rozy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
FYI, Alt+0239 = ï
The character is ı, not ï. And neither my iPad nor my Mac have an Alt key
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerby
Read on the news that one of the reasons for changing the name from Turkey to Türkiye was that when searching on the net the former will give you results about poultry.

Deckter likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The character is ı, not ï. And neither my iPad nor my Mac have an Alt key
I guess you gotta add a Turkish keyboard from the settings…
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I guess you gotta add a Turkish keyboard from the settings…

Right, I already have four for languages I actually know and use, so I am not going to do that to be able to write the new name of Turkish Airways just to please Erdogan.
miamiflyer8, rozy and cad-spe like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:08 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
What a horrible rebranding. This will decrease their passenger count.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
this is such a bad move for the single most prominent brand from Turkey
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.