Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Advice Pls BHX/MAN-IST-MLE Business -New to Turkish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Afternoon all, just booking a return business trip to Maldives for October and jumped to Emirates but wow, price was over £8k for two persons. Checked Qatar & Emirates and the like and is worse again.

Looking at Turkish at a cheaper alternative at about £6k. Better of course but unsure of their product. Would appreciate any guidance or opinion if it's a worthwhile option or likely be a disappointment. I heard very mixed reports.

I think it's small units out of the UK and A330's and similar IST onwards. But as I say, I have zero experience of their product, in the air and on land. Advice, suggestions, links etc would be gratefully received. Many thanks
Old May 31, 2022, 8:40 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If you are familiar with EK mediocre (2-3-2, not even fully flat) C-class product on B777, TK on A330 is 2-2-2 and fully flat. So obviously a win...

All the rest is the same: both offer generally great soft product, but if something goes wrong be prepared to fight for your rights (but I guess with 99,9% of passengers everything goes smoothly).

Also: lowest EK and QR business class fares do not allow for lounge access. With TK all fares would allow you to use lounges... Might be another win...
Atacama40 likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
If you are familiar with EK mediocre (2-3-2, not even fully flat) C-class product on B777, TK on A330 is 2-2-2 and fully flat. So obviously a win...

All the rest is the same: both offer generally great soft product, but if something goes wrong be prepared to fight for your rights (but I guess with 99,9% of passengers everything goes smoothly).

Also: lowest EK and QR business class fares do not allow for lounge access. With TK all fares would allow you to use lounges... Might be another win...
Thanks for the heads up. Not tried TK before but trying keep an open mind and not just side with the known. It is A330 onwards from IST which sounds positive. Think is A321 BHX/MAN to IST ... little less good.

I read that their catering and drinks service was good on board and at IST TK lounge. At BHX and MAN it's just third party lounges not even outstation. Not a huge deal if the on board service is solid.

Don't recall ever having a problem with lounge on EK or QR but all the same, interesting try something new if the product is as solid as it sounds. And more than £2k cheaper. Is a fair amount.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The TK A321neo has very nice J/C class seats; obviously not lie-flat, but certainly spacious and comfortable; much better than Euro-style seats with other carriers. IFE is very good with a large screen. Wifi should work as well (free in J/C class)
Atacama40 likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 31, 2022 at 9:56 am
Old May 31, 2022, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The TK A321neo has very nice J/C class seats; obviously not lie-flat, but certainly spacious and comfortable; much better than Euro-style seats with other carriers. IFE is very good with a large screen. Wifi should work as well (free in J/C class)
So the A321 (one that runs out of BHX/MAN) is 2-2 it sounds like? And is the on-board food and drink as good as some reviews mention? Thanks for the information
Old May 31, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Atacama40
So the A321 (one that runs out of BHX/MAN) is 2-2 it sounds like? And is the on-board food and drink as good as some reviews mention? Thanks for the information
Yes, a 2-2 configuration in J/C. Full meal in J/C; pretty good. Take a look in the TK catering master thread for what you can expect.

Turkish Airlines Catering Master Thread | Photos, Menus & Reviews ( 2019 onwards ) - Page 43 - FlyerTalk Forums

I had the meal pictured in #625 on a CPH-IST flight last week
Atacama40 likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 31, 2022 at 10:26 am
Old May 31, 2022, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, a 2-2 configuration in J/C. Full meal in J/C; pretty good. Take a look in the TK catering master thread for what you can expect.

Turkish Airlines Catering Master Thread | Photos, Menus & Reviews ( 2019 onwards ) - Page 43 - FlyerTalk Forums

I had the meal pictured in #625 on a CPH-IST flight last week
Appreciate the link SK AAR. Have to confess I find the search logic (or more likely my logic) very hard to use to best effect. This is really useful. Have to say, I'm tempted to give TK a go
Old May 31, 2022, 1:48 pm

It will most likely be the 2-2 one with around 45inches pitch. If it’s a NEO you get quite a large and clear entertainment screen too with a good choice of TV and film and complimentary 1GB wifi to use onboard.

I’ve just done FRU-IST on one of the NEOs (5hr40min) and thought the seats were quite comfortable. The food was good although I thought the breakfast main course was a bit bland (it was the cheese pastry).

Another advantage of TK is that coming from the UK you will likely not need to re-clear security in IST.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:03 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

Don't recall ever having a problem with lounge on EK or QR
This is a relatively recent development. EK introduced it first (2 or maybe 3 years ago) than QR (and AY) followed - no lounge access on the lowest C-class brand.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
There’s also a timetable to consider.
TK usually flies once a day to MLE but the others fly more than that.
TK is a 4 hour and 7 hour flight and the other is the opposite 7 hour and then 4 hours flight (on MAN-X-MLE).

Depending upon your requirements, one may suit you more than the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.