Search

Turkish pilot told me I'm a "f*******le"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Ok a quick refresher course in the FT rules:

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#offensive
I think the intention of the FT rules you mentioned is to protect fellows of these forums from offensive words against them, but not to protect 3rd parties in general and airlines in particular from reporting about their miss behavior. As OP did, using the least vulgar wording in these scenarios is a virtue.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
non-confrontational ?

Originally Posted by Gnopps
….. I politely told him to wait in the queue like everybody else, and that if he has a special right as captain then please talk to the guard about it.

I should emphasise here that I was at no point confrontational nor rude and I was completely calm when speaking to him.

when self-reporting an incident includes the claim that the reporter was calm, polite and non-confrontational, I long to hear the other side's story

The OP might have remained calm, and its possible he was polite. But it's hard to credit "non-confrontational" to his behaviour.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
In this case however there was a clear crew line, the pilot in question chose not to use that one but the one meant for passengers.
This was interesting info, so there was a dedicated crew lane but the crew member did not want to use it.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I might have moved without being prompted, but the TK captains language was totally unacceptable and inappropriate.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Thanks all for your comments!

In my mind there are two things to note here:

1. Is the pilot allowed to use his uniform to pass other people in the immigration queue to enter Turkey? As explained earlier, I argue not, as there is a separate file for crew and he had himself chosen to stand in line at the back of the single file business class passenger line. It might be that I was in the wrong here and that Turkey immigration allows for uniformed pilots to pass all other people, irrespective of line but I doubt that to be the case.

2. Is it ok for a uniformed pilot to curse at other people? In my mind, it is not appropriate to curse at someone like that - I certainly wouldn't do that in a situation like this. The fact that he was representing his employer makes this even worse. If he is trying to use privileges as captain, then he should also act in that capacity. This might of course be a cultural thing, where it is more acceptable to curse at strangers in some cultures compared to others. (thinking NYC where you here curses more than at my native HEL )?

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Air crew has priority. Make way next time instead of making a wise remark. Seems like your brought this upon yourself.
I did not make wise remark (or how would you define it?). In terms of priority, I again argue that air crew do not have priority to skip past people in the passenger line to reach the immigration booth to exit the airport when there is a separate line for crews (unless instructed otherwise by airport personnel).

Originally Posted by Danny Martello
If I get this right the OP sent a complaint to TK via feedback form? I think that's hilarious. By now a lot of people are having a good time and admire the captain for his verbal astuteness and for being spot on. And I don't even know what "fxxxxxxxxxle" means nor do I care to know. After all I want smart people on the the flight deck. Air crew have priority!
I did indeed send a complaint as I believe the pilot was trying to use his uniform to get perks he wasn't entitled to (I may be proven wrong here) and for cursing at me. He was not trying to reach the flight deck, he was exiting the airport.

Originally Posted by Davvidd
It is never good to use any pfeffel words in public. But it may mean that he has another flight on a certain time and needs to get his res. I always make way for crew and in some airports, the crew always checks in at the business class counter too.
I too make way for air crew, airport staff, people about to miss their flights, people with small kids, etc (and happily do so as I've been on the receiving end as well ) at especially security control. But as proven here, I do not make way for a pilot in the immigration line to exit the airport in the passenger line, when there is a crew line. In this case the pilot was not entering the airport (to get to a flight) but exiting the airport.

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I am with OP here. If there is a crew queue but the crew are in the normal queue, I would not be inclined to move unless asked politely or instructed by an airport worker. Based on the language used afterwards, I wouldn't expect that he asked particularly politely, and I am not generally keen to do favours for rude people.
While I don't remember his exact wording, I should defend the pilot here and say that I do think he asked politely albeit in an entitled way. Something like "Could I please pass you, I am a captain." (but again, I do not remember exact wording). As I wrote earlier, he was already pretty upset though as I could hear him cursing behind me as the queue was moving so slowly.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
when self-reporting an incident includes the claim that the reporter was calm, polite and non-confrontational, I long to hear the other side's story

The OP might have remained calm, and its possible he was polite. But it's hard to credit "non-confrontational" to his behaviour.
I am absolutely with you here and am one to ask the same question when I read reports such as these I don't know what else to add here though. We didn't have any interaction prior to him asking me, the only thing I could add is that it took some moments between the curse and him pushing past me during which I explained that I do not believe he was entitled to move past and for him to please see the guard if otherwise.
By saying "Non-confrontational" I mean that I did not try to escalate the situation beyond saying no.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I am absolutely with you here and am one to ask the same question when I read reports such as these I don't know what else to add here though. We didn't have any interaction prior to him asking me, the only thing I could add is that it took some moments between the curse and him pushing past me during which I explained that I do not believe he was entitled to move past and for him to please see the guard if otherwise.
By saying "Non-confrontational" I mean that I did not try to escalate the situation beyond saying no.

.. and I was trying to be non-confrontational in my post

You most certainly confronted the pilot, though i'm sure you were not overtly aggressive about it. Although his response was unwarranted, rude and totally unprofessional, and you felt bruised, maybe its something to chalk up to experience.

Sadly, even the smallest element of passive aggression can be a red flag to some temperaments and in certain situations, and for a pilot fresh from the adrenalin of the flight deck that might hit a trigger point.

Years' ago, doing volunteer work in west Africa, I tried the same thing with an army man who marched to the front of a queue for short-supply tickets to a gig (long story): he clicked his fingers and I was marched away. No harm done, but I've chosen my arguments more carefully since
Gnopps, nwflyboy, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Post Update

As promised, here is the final update: Turkish Airlines called me and said that they were sorry this happened, but aren't able to investigate it any further as they did not have access to the security camera footage for that area.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:48 am

As promised, here is the final update: Turkish Airlines called me and said that they were sorry this happened, but aren't able to investigate it any further as they did not have access to the security camera footage for that area.
Noooooooooooooo!

Oh well.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
It is never good to use any pfeffel words in public......
oof, now I've GOT to know what pfeffel words are. I will probably be sorry I looked it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.