Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

ZRH-IST-TBS: Is it worth paying $250 extra for C (A321)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Trying to book ZRH-IST-TBS, business is $250 more than Y. Trying to understand if it's worth it. All flights are listed as A321. Do I understand correctly that some of them gave proper C seats and some of them are just Y with blocks middles?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If 250 USD is the total for all four segments, then I would say it is worth it. That's 62.50 USD per segment, and you'll get a comfortable seat (think US domestic F seat, but with a lot more legroom) as well as a good three-course meal with a choice of mains. You'll be among the first pax off the plane, which will give you more time to transit at IST. At IST, you can access the Business lounge, which is equivalent to the M&S lounge, but a lot less crowded. And probably you will have shorter lines at immigration at TBS. I would pay.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
ZRH and TBS flights are likely to have recliner J seats.
Euro-J configured A321's are mostly used on domestic and TRNC flights.

In addition, the OP would have more baggage allowance, would not need to pay for advance seat selection ( unless he has TK Elite/Elite Plus status ), if he prefers to fly J.

Also as TK passengers are usually not familiar with online check-in and usually travel with a checked bag, Economy check-in lines would be longer at outstations compared to the Business Class check-in lines. Be aware that TK doesn't use any online software to verify vaccination or COVID tests, thus if Georgia or Switzerland requires proof of vaccination, passenger locator form or a COVID test by the time the OP travels, he would need to wait at the check-in line.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by AntonS
Trying to book ZRH-IST-TBS, business is $250 more than Y. Trying to understand if it's worth it. All flights are listed as A321. Do I understand correctly that some of them gave proper C seats and some of them are just Y with blocks middles?
I’m impressed you found a fare difference so small.

Originally Posted by ffay005
If 250 USD is the total for all four segments, then I would say it is worth it. That's 62.50 USD per segment, and you'll get a comfortable seat (think US domestic F seat, but with a lot more legroom) as well as a good three-course meal with a choice of mains. You'll be among the first pax off the plane, which will give you more time to transit at IST. At IST, you can access the Business lounge, which is equivalent to the M&S lounge, but a lot less crowded. And probably you will have shorter lines at immigration at TBS. I would pay.
Even if it is $125 for the one way trip, I’d say it’s worth it given how good TK is on these short flights. I’d certainly feel better about paying $250 for TK compared to some of AY’s short haul offers

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
ZRH and TBS flights are likely to have recliner J seats.
Euro-J configured A321's are mostly used on domestic and TRNC flights.

In addition, the OP would have more baggage allowance, would not need to pay for advance seat selection ( unless he has TK Elite/Elite Plus status ), if he prefers to fly J.

Also as TK passengers are usually not familiar with online check-in and usually travel with a checked bag, Economy check-in lines would be longer at outstations compared to the Business Class check-in lines. Be aware that TK doesn't use any online software to verify vaccination or COVID tests, thus if Georgia or Switzerland requires proof of vaccination, passenger locator form or a COVID test by the time the OP travels, he would need to wait at the check-in line.
Do you happen to know where to find a list of which A321’s are euro-J configured?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Do you happen to know where to find a list of which A321’s are euro-J configured?
The Complete Guide to the Turkish Airlines Fleet
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:51 pm

I’ve just flown LHR-IST-TBS and paid considerably more than $250 extra to fly Business than Economy. I would say for $250 it is definitely worth it.

The LHR-IST leg was on a 787, but the IST-TBS leg was on an A321 with the latest regional Business Class seats. The seats were comfortable, wide and had a lot of legroom, a big TV, menu and great food and onboard service. I was on the flight that arrives at TBS at 00:30 and there was no queue at immigration as I was one of the first to get there.
TPJ likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:38 pm

Today's aircraft is the blocked middle seat TC-JPS. I've got this flight (IST-TBS) in December and am hoping not to have the Euro-seating.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Today's aircraft is the blocked middle seat TC-JPS. I've got this flight (IST-TBS) in December and am hoping not to have the Euro-seating.
Today TK387 was an A321 with the good business class for online check-in but then changed to an A320 (all euro-business). The same thing with TK377 today. It seemed to be all A321s earlier this week so there must be some reason why both the early flights changed to A320s today?

Rather disappointing, although at least you get reasonable legroom (they only seat 159 vs 180 in the standard euro/ LCC configuration) and a tablet for entertainment.

Also annoying that since they are often used on domestic flights they arrive at a gate at the domestic terminal and then you have to get a bus to international arrivals.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:27 pm

Today TK387 was an A321 with the good business class for online check-in but then changed to an A320 (all euro-business). The same thing with TK377 today. It seemed to be all A321s earlier this week so there must be some reason why both the early flights changed to A320s today?

Rather disappointing, although at least you get reasonable legroom (they only seat 159 vs 180 in the standard euro/ LCC configuration) and a tablet for entertainment.

Also annoying that since they are often used on domestic flights they arrive at a gate at the domestic terminal and then you have to get a bus to international arrivals.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:34 pm

And again today, TC-JPP 3-3
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:01 pm

And again today, TC-JPP 3-3
And tomorrow it looks like TC-JPJ will be operating TK377.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.