Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting to Turkish at ATL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Connecting to Turkish at ATL

Next month, we will be connecting from a domestic DL flight to int'l Turkish flight (TK32) in Atlanta. They are on separate tickets and we will have checked bags.

I assume we will need to exit the secure area to collect bags, then must check-in/check bags with Turkish. I already understand the hazards of separate tickets, but want to be fully informed so we don't waste valuable time figuring out how to make the connection. We have allowed 3 hrs.

According their website (and other sources) THY uses "Terminal N - Domestic (North)" However, the ATL terminal map does not show a THY check-in desk there, however is shows one in the International Terminal. Google maps shows them in the International Terminal as well. Since Delta supposedly has all of the Domestic South, if Turkish is located in the Domestic terminal it should be on the North side, but it is not listed (too small a presence?).

So, where is/are THY check-in desk(s)?
Will I need to collect our bags, take a shuttle to the International Terminal, to check in, then go through security again?
Or will I be lucky and be able to collect bags in the Domestic Terminal, go upstairs and check in/ check bags with THY before going through security to our gate?
What gate(s) do the TK flights typically depart from? FlightAware, etc. only shows they depart from Terminal N, but never lists the gate.

I have limited success talking with THY on the phone and unfortunately their Atlanta office is closed today.

A little help would be appreciated.

p.s. What lounge do THY business passengers use.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Turkish check in is in the International terminal. If you have checked bags, you will need to go to the domestic terminal to collect your bags, then take the shuttle over to the international terminal to check in with Turkish. You will then enter concourse F through security. 3 hours should be enough time to do this as long as Turkish does not have too early of a check in cutoff.

Turkish will be using either concourse E of F.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:27 pm

TK32 almost always uses gate F3
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I knew the info at the Turkish website had to be wrong or out-of-date!

Follow-up question. Should I wait for the shuttle or grab a cab to get to the International Terminal if I can find one willing to make such a short trip?

Last edited by ABS1107; Feb 7, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ABS1107

Follow-up question. Should I wait for the shuttle or grab a cab to get to the International Terminal if I can find one willing to make such a short trip?
I would've just wait for the shuttle. ATL domestic side is a mess right now and it may not be easy to grab a cab.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Next month, we will be connecting from a domestic DL flight to int'l Turkish flight (TK32) in Atlanta. They are on separate tickets and we will have checked bags.

I assume we will need to exit the secure area to collect bags, then must check-in/check bags with Turkish. I already understand the hazards of separate tickets, but want to be fully informed so we don't waste valuable time figuring out how to make the connection. We have allowed 3 hrs.

According their website (and other sources) THY uses "Terminal N - Domestic (North)" However, the ATL terminal map does not show a THY check-in desk there, however is shows one in the International Terminal. Google maps shows them in the International Terminal as well. Since Delta supposedly has all of the Domestic South, if Turkish is located in the Domestic terminal it should be on the North side, but it is not listed (too small a presence?).

So, where is/are THY check-in desk(s)?
Will I need to collect our bags, take a shuttle to the International Terminal, to check in, then go through security again?
Or will I be lucky and be able to collect bags in the Domestic Terminal, go upstairs and check in/ check bags with THY before going through security to our gate?
What gate(s) do the TK flights typically depart from? FlightAware, etc. only shows they depart from Terminal N, but never lists the gate.

I have limited success talking with THY on the phone and unfortunately their Atlanta office is closed today.

A little help would be appreciated.

p.s. What lounge do THY business passengers use.
TK only has a counter in the INTL terminal, that is complete false information if they are listed anywhere else. TK uses the Club at ATL just like all carriers not named or in bed with DL. You also have access to the United Club with either a C ticket or *G which is as far as can be from F concourse. If you're AMEX Plat, you can use your DL arrival bp and go to the DL SkyClub in F which is far superior to any other lounge at ATL.

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
Turkish check in is in the International terminal. If you have checked bags, you will need to go to the domestic terminal to collect your bags, then take the shuttle over to the international terminal to check in with Turkish. You will then enter concourse F through security. 3 hours should be enough time to do this as long as Turkish does not have too early of a check in cutoff.

Turkish will be using either concourse E of F.
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
TK32 almost always uses gate F3
Only DL and sometimes AFKL use E, all other INTL carriers use F. TK cuts off at 60 minutes, so this means OP has 2hrs of actual time, which still should be more than enough time.

Shuttle is free and they run every 10 minutes, not worth paying for a cab.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!

4 weeks and one PCR test to go- Jordan & Egypt, Petra to the Pyramids. Been trying to do this tour for three years now.

Follow-up question- if we show Trusted Traveler or Global Entry cards during check-in will/can TK agent put TSA Pre-Check on our boarding passes and save us a little time getting through security?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Thanks all!

4 weeks and one PCR test to go- Jordan & Egypt, Petra to the Pyramids. Been trying to do this tour for three years now.

Follow-up question- if we show Trusted Traveler or Global Entry cards during check-in will/can TK agent put TSA Pre-Check on our boarding passes and save us a little time getting through security?
Yes, should be possible, but do note that ATL F security has suspended Pre √ due to the pandemic. There might be a Priority lane which opens when you ask the line dragon, but this depends on mood and knowledge of the agent.

Also, THY.com has the useless and inaccurate info as below:

What is a Known Traveler number?

Topic: Check-in Last modified: July 09, 2019
This number is used for flights to the US and shows that the pre-flight checks and safety scans required for the trip have been completed.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll play it by ear.

It may be incorrect, but the TSA website says Pre lane(s) should be available for ATL F departures at the time we should be getting screened. But as you said we can always ask if it is not open and the regular lines are long. I don't want to waste time at the counter, but if it takes just a few key strokes, that could save us a little bit of time. It is too bad that while THY participates in Pre it can't be added when booking online or added to a FF profile. We are so used to getting on DL tickets.

If I can make it from one side of AMS to the other to my outgoing Delta flight home, after a late arrival from Budapest, in under 30 min. (flat out sprint and pre-COVID) I should have a good chance to do it in the amount of time we have. Besides, it looks like TK32 is often late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.