Search

Upgrade Miles&Smiles Membership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&Smiles Elite
Upgrade Miles&Smiles Membership

Dear Flyertalk members,

I´m a Miles&Smiles Elite member, can I purchase status miles to upgrade to Elite+ membership?
If so, how many status miles can I buy?
I´m elite member since 2019, but this year Im flying more than previous years, probably I´ll be able to make 60k/65k miles so it will be great if I´ll be able to buy 15K/20K to be Elite+.

Thank you in advance,
Safe travels,
José
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Sure, but as far as I'm aware you'd also need to fly... check the website for requirements to reach a certain level.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
As far as I know you can buy status miles to preserve your card status only. You can buy bonus miles and convert them to status miles tho. But if you need 15.000 status miles, this means you need 75.000 bonus miles. (5 to 1 ratio) I am not sure if you can buy that many miles.
From website:
In the second year of membership, Classic Plus members can buy a maximum of 5,000 Miles. Elite and Elite Plus members can buy up to 10,000 Status Miles to preserve the card status level before their card's expiration date. You can buy 1,000 Status Miles for 70 USD.

Last edited by rozy; Jan 13, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Jose Rodrigues
Dear Flyertalk members,

I´m a Miles&Smiles Elite member, can I purchase status miles to upgrade to Elite+ membership?
If so, how many status miles can I buy?
I´m elite member since 2019, but this year Im flying more than previous years, probably I´ll be able to make 60k/65k miles so it will be great if I´ll be able to buy 15K/20K to be Elite+.

Thank you in advance,
Safe travels,
José
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Check from the website the quantity after you have flown those 60k/65k miles.

Originally Posted by rozy
As far as I know you can buy status miles to preserve your card status only. You can buy bonus miles and convert them to status miles tho. But if you need 15.000 status miles, this means you need 75.000 bonus miles. (5 to 1 ratio) I am not sure if you can but that many miles.
From website:
In the second year of membership, Classic Plus members can buy a maximum of 5,000 Miles. Elite and Elite Plus members can buy up to 10,000 Status Miles to preserve the card status level before their card's expiration date. You can buy 1,000 Status Miles for 70 USD.

There is no such a thing with Miles&Smiles as converting any amount of bonus miles to status miles unless someone is M&S credit card holder which OP probably are not . Regarding to the last month practice of a friend, he could purchase the missing 13k status miles to get Elite from Classic Plus. Since that was not reasonable he took the flights and then purchased only 1k status miles for 70USD. They come with 1k miles bucket.
Jose Rodrigues likes this.

Last edited by Jaenks; Jan 13, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&Smiles Elite
I do fly, I use to fly 40.000 miles per year but this year I should fly 60.000 to 65.000 miles.

I´m elite member and to be Elite Plus member I need to fly 80.000 miles, so I asked If anyone knows if I can purchase the other 15-20.000 miles that I´ll need for sure to Upgrade my status membership.

I search and search and I can´t find any answer on the Turkish Airlines website
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
Originally Posted by Jaenks
There is no such a thing with Miles&Smiles as converting any amount of bonus miles to status miles unless someone is M&S credit card holder which OP probably are not .
I have to say that I didnt know that miles conversion was something related with the credit card. I am a credit card holder so I've used this option 7-8 years ago to be an Elite for the last 500 miles.

Sorry for my mistake.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jose Rodrigues
I do fly, I use to fly 40.000 miles per year but this year I should fly 60.000 to 65.000 miles.

I´m elite member and to be Elite Plus member I need to fly 80.000 miles, so I asked If anyone knows if I can purchase the other 15-20.000 miles that I´ll need for sure to Upgrade my status membership.

I search and search and I can´t find any answer on the Turkish Airlines website
You will not find the answer on the TK website because you cannot officially buy miles to upgrade your status.

However, as I believe one poster mentioned, let us know when you are actually at 60-65k miles. Because sometimes the website glitches and you can buy status miles even when you shouldn't be able to...

Note that "per year" is irrelevant. For upgrading status what matters is a rolling 12-month period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.