FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   No alcohol served on my flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2039791-no-alcohol-served-my-flight.html)

Longton May 9, 2021 6:21 pm

No alcohol served on my flight

I usually fly Emirates but yesterday I flew with TK from Tbilisi to Manchester.

The Istanbul to Manchester leg was in the afternoon and just over 4 hours.

I asked for a beer and the flight attendant said "we don't serve alcohol".

I asked if it was due to Ramadan and unfortunately I couldn't understand the reply.

The food was almost inedible - dry minced kebabs, with rice and two pieces of courgette.

So with poor food and no booze I won't be booking with TK again!

ISTFlyer May 9, 2021 8:56 pm

Since COVID, TK isn't serving alcohol in Economy Class.
Nothing to do with the month of Ramadan; alcohol is served in Business Class at the moment.

It's just cost-cutting.

LondonElite May 9, 2021 9:24 pm

I’m not convinced TK has a monopoly on poor food and no alcohol in Y, so you may run out of airlines soon!

infrequently May 9, 2021 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 33239469)
I’m not convinced TK has a monopoly on poor food and no alcohol in Y, so you may run out of airlines soon!

Emirates is a safe bet for better alcohol in Y policies. Its CEO even called BA a low-cost carrier because of BA's pay-for-food policies on shorter flights.

warakorn May 10, 2021 7:42 am

I asked for a beer and the flight attendant said "we don't serve alcohol".
Sir, you flew in Economy - what do you except?

IAN-UK May 10, 2021 7:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 33239469)

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 33240181)

Come on, it was beer :D

LondonElite May 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Expect? Accept? ;)

craigthemif May 10, 2021 1:55 pm

I thought that one could be temporarily banned from FT for admitting to flying Y. Beer or no beer... :D

ffay005 May 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Longton (Post 33239157)
The food was almost inedible - dry minced kebabs, with rice and two pieces of courgette.

Had the same dish IST-CAI this evening. Quite tasty, IMO. I used the hummus as a sauce to moisten the dish a bit. The white chocolate mousse was excellent.

I'm happy TK serves hot meals in Y on such short routes. Must be the only carrier to do so on intra-European flights.

infrequently May 10, 2021 11:41 pm

In 11 years of flying between CGK and IAD pre-covid, I have never not been able to get complementary beer / wine in Y (usually whiskey too). Cutting out booze in Y is a ghetto LCC move.

Sandy Hopper May 20, 2021 3:36 pm

“Do you have alcoholic beverages (May 5)? “
“No, because of Covid.”
”Okay. I’ll have an Ayran then.”
”I’m sorry. No Ayran,”
”Because of Covid?”
”I’m sorry. It’s procedure.”

HarbourGent Nov 27, 2023 9:45 pm

I recently flew long-haul TK in economy and asked for a whisky. Before the pandemic they sometimes served an excellent Scotch malt. No whisky at all now: the flight attendant told me that spirits have been cut from economy.
That is a significant service diminution by Turkish in my view. I sent them a letter to that end.

hfly Nov 28, 2023 5:30 am

TK has never served any "excellent" Scotch Malt. Much like their Bailey's "looks" like Baileys, and is instead "Irish Cream drink" (or whatever) they served either JB once upon a time, or something literally named something like "Scotch Malt". Just to be clear, they started serving spirits in economy BEFORE the pandemic, I make this differentiation because it is not like this was a "pandemic" thing that one should hope returns, but rather a budget decision at the time, whether we agree on it or not.