Old May 13, 21, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Howís Mesa House nowadays?
Old May 13, 21, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by Basanez View Post
Howís Mesa House nowadays?
If we're still talking Cairo, that'll be the Mena House. It's been the Marriott Mena House for the last three years or so, but it's been around since the turn of the 19th century. For tourists intent on spending time around he pyramids it's ina splendid location. Pricey, and they'll milk you for rooms with views, but it's a great choice.
Old May 13, 21, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
If we're still talking Cairo, that'll be the Mena House. It's been the Marriott Mena House for the last three years or so, but it's been around since the turn of the 19th century. For tourists intent on spending time around he pyramids it's ina splendid location. Pricey, and they'll milk you for rooms with views, but it's a great choice.
Sorry for the typo. Yes I meant the Mena House. Years ago I stayed at the Le Meridien Pyramids for a couple of nights to avoid traffic when going to the pyramids and I remember seeing the Mena House. But back then it was undergoing remodeling/change of hands to Marriott (I believe circa 2016), and I havenít been back to the area for a couple of years. I wanted to try the St Regis Cairo for a night or two, and possibly use a couple of free night certificates for the Mena House, but didnít know if it was a good choice nowadays/during covid. I appreciate your comment and the info. Iíll think Iíll go ahead and pull the trigger. Thank you!
Old May 16, 21, 5:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Quick recap about the airside antigen test: Today, I decided to stop by at the antigen test counter before transfer security just to ask whether it's open to anyone.

They checked my destination, and as Finland accepts antigen tests, I was invited to take the test. The whole process took 25 minutes, during which they registered my passport details, took the sample and printed the results. 175 TLY (17 euros, more or less) payable by credit card. Very easy process.

Finland doesn't require an advance test from those few who are allowed to enter, but if you don't have a test result, you will have to get tested at the airport, which can be time-consuming. (By the way, at CAI, nobody asked anything about covid tests.)
Old May 16, 21, 10:37 am

Onward to Greece via IST

Piggybacking on this, just to confirm. Flight for Izmir to IST on a Wednesday afternoon, onward to Greece that evening TK. US citizen so all I need is proof of vaccine is this correct?

Thank you.
Old May 16, 21, 10:39 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Conan126 View Post
Piggybacking on this, just to confirm. Flight for Izmir to IST on a Wednesday afternoon, onward to Greece that evening TK. US citizen so all I need is proof of vaccine is this correct?

Thank you.
Yes, this is correct.
Old May 18, 21, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I stay at the Semiramis mainly for its location though as a grande dame of Cairo's hotel scene it also has a comforting buzz. I've never been seriously upset by any of its services, but you are spot on about the antiquated bathrooms. And service can be glacial if they don't smell a tip.

Ramadan is an awkward time, and lot of what daytime effort is available to Semiramis management seems to go into preparing and coordinating the iftar excesses.

The IC CityStars is slicker, more modern in every sense of the word, and the bathrooms are sleek. it's way out of the centre in Nasr City, but close to the airport, and it forms part of the city's most glitzy mall complex. It's usually significantly more expensive than he Semiramis.
I wrote about my experience in the Semiramis thread over at the IHG forum.

I would have wanted to visit the CityStars mall just to see the contrast between it and the rest of the city, and I was planning to, but it seemed so far away from everything, so I let it be. I should probably have stayed the last night at IC CityStars, which would have enabled me to visit the mall easily. OTOH, at 6 am, the drive from the Semiramis to the airport took only 20 minutes, so in that respect, I was close to the airport already...

Cairo was a great experience.
Old May 19, 21, 12:35 pm

I'm well aware of the Turkey 72 hour PCR rule, but just want to make sure I don't fall into a trap with my itinerary in case that PCR test goes wrong.

I'm flying JFK-IST-ZAG all on Turkish Air, business class, no checked bags. Croatia is allowing vaccinated people and I'll have that all in order. My connection in IST is something like 26 hours, so I plan to go into Istanbul for a day and would get the PCR test before my departure from the US.

My question is, let's say the PCR test result doesn't come in time for my JFK-IST flight boarding. Will the fact I am connecting in IST onto Croatia allow me to rely on the Croatia rule as a transit passenger even with the 26 hour connection? I want to make sure a connection that long doesn't imply to airline staff that I'm entering Turkey. If my PCR test were to not come in at all, I would sit in the transit area and stay at the Yotel Airside. I imagine outside of the provider losing my test result completely, it would come in by the time I got to IST, but that's a whole other thing. Just want to be prepared to take whatever precautions to ensure my PCR test is ready in time if needed.

Thanks!
Old May 19, 21, 12:42 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin View Post
I'm well aware of the Turkey 72 hour PCR rule, but just want to make sure I don't fall into a trap with my itinerary in case that PCR test goes wrong.

I'm flying JFK-IST-ZAG all on Turkish Air, business class, no checked bags. Croatia is allowing vaccinated people and I'll have that all in order. My connection in IST is something like 26 hours, so I plan to go into Istanbul for a day and would get the PCR test before my departure from the US.

My question is, let's say the PCR test result doesn't come in time for my JFK-IST flight boarding. Will the fact I am connecting in IST onto Croatia allow me to rely on the Croatia rule as a transit passenger even with the 26 hour connection? I want to make sure a connection that long doesn't imply to airline staff that I'm entering Turkey. If my PCR test were to not come in at all, I would sit in the transit area and stay at the Yotel Airside. I imagine outside of the provider losing my test result completely, it would come in by the time I got to IST, but that's a whole other thing. Just want to be prepared to take whatever precautions to ensure my PCR test is ready in time if needed.

Thanks!
A 26 hour connection would be considered as a stopover rather than a transfer, thus you would need to meet the entry requirements for Turkey. Also, if you have bags, your bags wouldn't be checked thru to your final destination and you would need to reclaim them at Istanbul.

To make that itinerary, you would need to have a COVID test meeting the Turkish entry standards; otherwise, you would be denied boarding at JFK.
Old May 19, 21, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
A 26 hour connection would be considered as a stopover rather than a transfer, thus you would need to meet the entry requirements for Turkey. Also, if you have bags, your bags wouldn't be checked thru to your final destination and you would need to reclaim them at Istanbul.

To make that itinerary, you would need to have a COVID test meeting the Turkish entry standards; otherwise, you would be denied boarding at JFK.
Thanks, that's what I suspected but had to be sure. What's another couple hundred dollars at this point to avoid a problem? Haha thanks again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: