Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkey on UK red list - transiting through Istanbul

Turkey on UK red list - transiting through Istanbul

Old May 7, 21, 10:09 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Grateful if we could circle back to the topic of this thread: Turkey being on the UK's red list and avoid going off topic.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
daisymay2 and zsc like this.
Old May 8, 21, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
LHR flights cancellations: how likely and when?

I have a return trip out of LHR connecting in IST on 23 May coming back 1st June. This is becoming unviable now due to the hotel quarantine requirements.

Any thoughts on if / when TK may start cancelling LHR services? Iím ok with the voucher but Iím thinking I should hold on for now in case thereís a cancellation and a full refund without penalty (all sectors booked in J class which allows cancellation but thereís a penalty - donít remember what it was but a few hundred quid I think)
Old May 8, 21, 1:13 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Like others, I was disappointed to see Turkey put on the UK's red list. To me it seems hard to justify given how cases are falling in Turkey and yes politics may be involved here. However, I hope Turkeys inclusion on the list is short lived. Logically it should be removed soon, not that logic has much to do with UK government policy.
Old May 8, 21, 3:46 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Well numbers in Turkey are pretty high by European standards. The UK seemingly is also concerned about major air hubs hence the suggestion that super connectors in the middle east could remain on the red list for the foreseeable future even if the countries themselves are improving, maybe they consider IST in the same vein. I bet we will see more of this whack-a-mole approach for the months to come.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 8, 21, 3:54 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
The answer is yes, you would be considered as arriving from a red list country
Many thanks for the response.

Apparently the Red List will be reviewed every 3 weeks, and I've got a couple of months to go before travelling, so there's still hope.

Of course the downside is that I'm already using the voucher for last year's cancelled trip, so I'm not sure what will happen if the inclusion in the Red List remains; that and the fact that, with my final destination country being Amber, I might not get favourable terms on the domestic flights, with MS, or from the hotels.

Fingers crossed that things will change for the better.
Old May 8, 21, 4:01 am

Back on topic, the new rules take effect from 4am, Wednesday 12 May. From then, only British Citizens and residents will be able to get onto the flights into the UK. I would guess there will be some consolidation of flights after that. Whether the traffic will justify a single flight a day, I do not know.

I was planning a return set of flights into Africa next week, so this has messed that up. I will probably still do the outbound on TK. No idea for the return now though. I simply will not be imprisoned in a hotel in my own country, so another route will be needed.
Old May 8, 21, 5:15 am

Some more depressing news. The UK operates two lists. The red list which has been discussed here and the less well known flight ban list. Turkey has also been put on the flight ban list which means there will be no direct flights between Turkey and the UK (England technically) from Wednesday. I find it very hard to see the justification for this. If you have a flight booked for Wednesday onwards, it will be cancelled.
Old May 8, 21, 5:32 am

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
Perhaps this is the reason ???
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56984057
Old May 8, 21, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork View Post
Perhaps this is the reason ???
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56984057
That was not breaking the rules, so long as anyone doing it stayed in Turkey for 10 days. However, given the level of understanding of those in government here in the UK, it may be connected.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old May 8, 21, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Like others, I was disappointed to see Turkey put on the UK's red list. To me it seems hard to justify given how cases are falling in Turkey and yes politics may be involved here. However, I hope Turkeys inclusion on the list is short lived. Logically it should be removed soon, not that logic has much to do with UK government policy.

I'm not sure what role political considerations might play in this, apart from the obvious one of protecting the health of people in the UK.

I think there's been a polite measure of scepticism about Turkey's position ever since the last year's fudge in disease reporting came to light.

THY has made heroic attempts to maintain the viability of its intercontinental hub at Istanbul. A consequence of this has been connecting passengers from infection hot-spots circulating airside at IST. My understanding is that the requirement for a Covid-negative test before embarkation on the Istanbul leg is driven by immigration regulations at the final destination. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong

Join those two plot lines with relatively high reported levels of transmission in the country, and the break-of-journey quarantine by-pass dodge, and it's not all that surprising that THY flights from Istanbul are regarded as potential vectors of disease. Inconvenient and unwelcome, but understandable in a world where Tristan da Cunha might be the answer to our summer holidays.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old May 8, 21, 6:11 am

Tui, one of the main holiday operators in the UK is selling holidays to Turkey from 7th June. I don't know if that is a recent change or if they have been tipped off about the ban.
Old May 28, 21, 7:19 am

Some small progress from a TK email today:

Dear Passengers, As of June 14, 2021, our flights to the United Kingdom departing from Turkey are planned to start reciprocally on the Istanbul Edinburgh route.

Our passengers who are British national, Irish national, who have the right to remain in the UK (this includes if you have a visa to work or study in the UK), who have a certain type of job mentioned in the exemptions link, or traveling for essential medical treatment will be allowed to enter the UK. These passengers can be accepted on our flights provided that they complete the PLF form, submit the Covid-19 negative test issued at their first departure point maximum 3 days prior to their flight departing from their origin point result, and have a hotel package reservation.

Apart from this, flights from the UK to Turkey and flights to other countries with stopovers in Turkey continue as scheduled.
Note, hotel quarantine is required still but the outright travel ban to the UK, is not so complete from the 14th June.
Old May 28, 21, 8:09 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Some small progress from a TK email today:

Note, hotel quarantine is required still but the outright travel ban to the UK, is not so complete from the 14th June.
At least passengers could now purchase round-trip tickets out of the UK.
DaveS likes this.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; May 28, 21 at 4:54 pm
Old May 28, 21, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
At least passengers could now purchase round-trip tickets out of the UK.
Although, it would make much sense for UK citizen passengers to fly to LIS or OPO with TK, enjoy a 10 day holiday in Portugal and then fly to the UK without any hotel quarantine and self-isolation.
I think you'd need to be certain Portugal is accepting UK passengers arriving from anywhere other than UK. SEF (the portuguese border agency) aren't exactly clear about it:

ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 28, 21 at 4:47 pm
Old May 28, 21, 4:54 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Thanks for alerting me, corrected my original post.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: