Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

original TK vs. Anadolujet TK for domestic flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:52 am
Original Poster

I plan to book a flight from Istanbul to Izmir

What is the major difference between original TK vs. Anadolujet TK for a domestic flight ?
in terms of SmileMiles accumulation for my status ? and Star Alliance lounge access? check-in baggage and cabin baggage limit (a school bag) or other important factors?
The price different is 193-160 = 33 TRY (see attached photo)? Is there anything negative about Anadolujet TK and SAW airport?

Original TK flying out IST
Anadolujet TK flying out SAW

I stay in Taksim. It looks like more airport buses going to SAW every 30 mins, while every 40-60 mins to IST ?
I guess no PCR test is required for domestic flight? If the price is the same, I shouldn't consider Pegasus or Aztec ?

Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Both TK & AnadoluJet are the same in most parts;
- You would receive the same miles when crediting to Miles&Smiles.
- The baggage allowance would be the same. Miles&Smiles extra baggage allowance applies on AnadoluJet flights
- Boarding is from the back to front ( no elite boarding due to COVID )
- Cabin baggage allowance is the same ( One cabin baggage max 8 kg & one personal item that could fit under the seat )

However,
- AnadoluJet flights doesn't offer lounge access to TK Miles&Smiles members anymore ( you need to pay ), partner *G's are still welcome though ( The lounge in SAW is closed at the moment due to COVID )
- TK Elites and Elite Plus's could not choose seats for free of charge until they arrive at the airport on AnadoluJet flights. On TK metal, it's free of charge except for exit-row and bulkhead seats.
- No priority check-in at SAW for AnadoluJet flights, all people with status needs to go to the regular line, however, as I mentioned before, the agents would be able to see your status and your extended baggage allowance

- No PCR test is required to travel inside Turkey; however, you would need to provide your HES code which would be indicated on the top right corner your traveler entry form.
- There is no such airline called Aztec in Turkey and if you would like to fly Pegasus Airlines, they are a nice LCC, however, you would need to pay everything extra ( seat, extra baggage, etc... ) on Pegasus or purchase a bundled package in advance.
fbrdky likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
IST vs SAW for domestic flight as *G

hopping onto this - I am in Turkey with the family this summer, and flying Istanbul to Dalaman. On the day we want to travel, the convenient IST flights are sold out, but there is a decently-timed flight from SAW. I've never flown out of SAW, never considered it when old IST was in operation, but now that the new airport is such a schlep from town it doesn't seem like it would be much of a difference in a taxi from Taksim.

Qs:
- is there much of a difference in time to SAW (assuming I can get a taxi to go over to Asia side)?
- how is SAW to get through?
- is there priority checkin for non-TK *G? [with the family, we'll have bags...]
- any priority security?
- any domestic lounge?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Stewie Mac; May 23, 2022 at 9:57 am
Old May 24, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
hopping onto this - I am in Turkey with the family this summer, and flying Istanbul to Dalaman. On the day we want to travel, the convenient IST flights are sold out, but there is a decently-timed flight from SAW. I've never flown out of SAW, never considered it when old IST was in operation, but now that the new airport is such a schlep from town it doesn't seem like it would be much of a difference in a taxi from Taksim.

Qs:
- is there much of a difference in time to SAW (assuming I can get a taxi to go over to Asia side)?
- how is SAW to get through?
- is there priority checkin for non-TK *G? [with the family, we'll have bags...]
- any priority security?
- any domestic lounge?

Thanks in advance
To answer your questions;

- From Taksim, unless you are leaving at rush hour, going to SAW would take about 10-15 minutes more than going to IST with a private vehicle or taxi. As the distance is longer and as there are tolls on the route to SAW, the taxi would be a bit more expensive than going to IST.
- There are also Havabus buses to SAW from Taksim, after July 1, Havaist would take coach shuttle bus operations to SAW however, the routes that they would operate on the way to SAW are still not yet announced.
- There is a CIP terminal which non TK*G pax could use with one guest which is located somewhere totally different than the regular terminal. Shuttle buses depart from the arrivals level of SAW to the CIP terminal which has priority check-in and the lounge. Non-TK*G doesn't passengers doesn't have the option to use the lounge as a family thus if you wish to use this service for more than 2 people, you might be asked to pay.
- Other than the CIP terminal, AnadoluJet does not offer any priority check-in counter, priority security or lounge service at the regular terminal. If you wish to use fast-track security, there is an airport operated service for a fee as well as a Plaza Premium Lounge ( which is much better than the TK Lounge at the CIP terminal ) which you could pay or enter with a PriorityPass, etc... membership.
Stewie Mac and fbrdky like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
I plan to book a flight from Istanbul to Izmir

What is the major difference between original TK vs. Anadolujet TK for a domestic flight ?
in terms of SmileMiles accumulation for my status ? and Star Alliance lounge access? check-in baggage and cabin baggage limit (a school bag) or other important factors?
The price different is 193-160 = 33 TRY (see attached photo)? Is there anything negative about Anadolujet TK and SAW airport?

Original TK flying out IST
Anadolujet TK flying out SAW

I stay in Taksim. It looks like more airport buses going to SAW every 30 mins, while every 40-60 mins to IST ?
I guess no PCR test is required for domestic flight? If the price is the same, I shouldn't consider Pegasus or Aztec ?

what are the dates?

the prices are very low!
Old May 25, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by axxoo25
what are the dates?

the prices are very low!
The post you quoted was shared back in April 2021 when Turkey still had those weekend and evening curfews due to the COVID-19 pandemic which made travel more distractive for locals.
Not adding the factor about the exchange rates and the fuel prices back then.
axxoo25 likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I've flown Anadolujet (domestic and international) and Pegasus (domestic) out of SAW in February and March. A few confirmations and clarifications:

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

- Other than the CIP terminal, Anadolujet does not offer any priority check-in counter, priority security or lounge service at the regular terminal. If you wish to use fast-track security, there is an airport operated service for a fee as well as a Plaza Premium Lounge (which is much better than the TK Lounge at the CIP terminal ) which you could pay or enter with a PriorityPass, etc... membership.
This is correct insofar as there's no *G or M&S Elite priority check in with Anadolujet. If you haven't experienced non-elite treatment in airports for a while, you'll find the whole experience at SAW to be a bit humbling... Anadolujet check-in lines seem to move a lot slower than Pegasus, though things may be moving faster now that the covid-era HES codes have been phased out. Pegasus really forces you to use the self-service kiosks and their baggage drop is true self service (as in you literally apply and scan your own baggage tag without assistance from check-in personnel), which to their credit generally results in a faster check-in experience for those without status. Seat pitch and in-flight service is a little worse on Pegasus, but if you're not desperate for TK EQMs or in need of the extra baggage allowance I'd consider the two carriers to be basically a toss-up.

I didn't attempt to access the separate domestic CIP terminal, though it looks like they should only be charging 195 liras per person and are currently honoring *G status. Fortunately, there's hardly ever a line for the post-check-in security checkpoint for domestic flights in the main terminal, which has become a bit more relaxed in recent years.

Per the website, the only Priority Pass lounge at SAW at the moment is Kepler in the international terminal which is one of those personal sleeping/working pod concepts, more like Minute Suites than a real lounge. There is a Plaza Premium Lounge that is available through the Amex (Platinum) Global Lounge Collection, but Priority Pass won't be accepted. The former TK international lounge at SAW is still open and still has *A Gold signage, but the dragon said that the signage is out of date and charged me 300 TL per person for entry in what I look back on as one of the dumbest impulse purchases in recent memory. I'm not disputing ISTFlyer's claim that it's a situation analogous to United Club where I could have entered for free if my status was through a carrier other than TK, though I'm surprised to hear this since I specifically remember the dragon insisting that Anadolujet is not part of *A and the website mentions that the fee applies to all. In hindsight it wasn't worth it at all... just cold cheese sandwiches probably coming from the same kitchen as domestic flight catering, lukewarm pide and soft drinks. The lounge was almost eerily deserted compared to what it was like before SAW operations were demoted from TK mainline.

Overall, I was disappointed with Anadolujet to the point that I might tolerate the additional travel time and cost from my pied-a-terre in Atasehir to the new airport for the full TK experience going forward. Landing at SAW is totally fine, especially if your destination is east-of-Bosporus, but I just don't have enough patience for the departure experience there. (The possible exception might be December-early March, as SAW handles snow a lot better than the new airport...)
Old May 30, 2022, 5:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by axxoo25
what are the dates?

the prices are very low!
prices are 2x/3x times higher than last year at same period (but as ISTflyer correctly pointed out it was due to low demand)

Despite prices pikes , they are still very interesting for foreigners as the lira keep crashing down (now its 1€ = 17.6 TRY , compared to 16TRY at the time OP made this screenshot)

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
( The lounge in SAW is closed at the moment due to COVID ).
Is it the same in ESB ? Cause i forgot to ask and they removed all mentions of CIP in the airport

Last edited by fifty_two; May 30, 2022 at 9:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.