Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocking of adjacent seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Blocking of adjacent seat

I recently flew FRA-IST and the return on TK in economy. This was booked from EWR all on a UA ticket. I also separately flew IST-AYT and ADB-IST.

On the return, I went to the vip (*G) church in area. After I got my BP, the agent asked me if I'd like the adjustment seat blocked. At first I was confused, he explained he can block the seat so no one sits next to me. I agreed. The flight was nearly full and indeed no one was next to me.

Is this normal? I didn't get this service on any other flights
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
As far as I recall, this was always an option, but never guaranteed to stick.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
As far as I recall, this was always an option, but never guaranteed to stick.
it's offered to everyone?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Really interesting. It wasn't offered to me during my TK flights, I hear this goodwill gesture from you.

I haven't flown IST-FRA, but flown FRA-IST recently and no gesture was made to me and I was kicked out of the priority boarding lane because Elites, Elite Plus's and *G's are not allowed to board early because of the COVID restriction ( back-to-front boarding ) and priority boarding is only offered to Business Class pax. That flight was operated with an A330-300 and had more than 95% occupancy in Economy Class.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
it's offered to everyone?
Was never offered, but I asked a few times. Always got ‘I can block it, but can’t guarantee it will stay free’.

It usually didn’t.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Really interesting. It wasn't offered to me during my TK flights, I hear this goodwill gesture from you.

I haven't flown IST-FRA, but flown FRA-IST recently and no gesture was made to me and I was kicked out of the priority boarding lane because Elites, Elite Plus's and *G's are not allowed to board early because of the COVID restriction ( back-to-front boarding ) and priority boarding is only offered to Business Class pax. That flight was operated with an A330-300 and had more than 95% occupancy in Economy Class.
This was the first time anyone offered it so I was caught off guard but I also have only flown TK a handful of times. I had just had a minor argument with the guy about the requirement to fill out a form even though I was just transiting Germany. Anyways, even if only *G get this perk, that's still a lot of people (at least pre-COVID).
I was not offered it on FRA-IST, however, I was connecting from EWR-FRA on UA. My only interaction with a TK agent was when I asked them to print me a boarding card. Wasn't offered anything at that point. Though I was never asked to show my COVID test either which was surprising.
On each of my TK flights, I was able to board early as a *G. Maybe your flights were earlier in the pandemic. They still do back to front but they are allowing priority boarding.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
This was the first time anyone offered it so I was caught off guard but I also have only flown TK a handful of times. I had just had a minor argument with the guy about the requirement to fill out a form even though I was just transiting Germany. Anyways, even if only *G get this perk, that's still a lot of people (at least pre-COVID).
I was not offered it on FRA-IST, however, I was connecting from EWR-FRA on UA. My only interaction with a TK agent was when I asked them to print me a boarding card. Wasn't offered anything at that point. Though I was never asked to show my COVID test either which was surprising.
On each of my TK flights, I was able to board early as a *G. Maybe your flights were earlier in the pandemic. They still do back to front but they are allowing priority boarding.
15 March 2021 TK 1588 FRA-IST
The station manager was at the priority lane and checking boarding pass when I said "Elite Plus" he said "Nein" in German and sent me back to the regular lane.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
15 March 2021 TK 1588 FRA-IST
The station manager was at the priority lane and checking boarding pass when I said "Elite Plus" he said "Nein" in German and sent me back to the regular lane.
Interesting. 21 Mar 2021 TK1588 FRA-IST and TK 2426 IST-AYT, 24 Mar 2021 TK2329 ADB-IST, 27 Mar 2021 TK1587 IST-FRA, All had no issue in the priority lane. They were turning away people in front of me but did not turn me away. The one time I was asked, I said "Star Gold". I do recall on TK1588 I think, they were boarding the regular line and the priority line simultaneously. I was standing in the regular line near the front, then saw the "Star Gold" on the priority line so got out of line and went to the end of the priority line not realize they did both simultaneously and ended up boarding later than I would have in the regular line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.