Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK starting to charge for Seating in International Flights ( 2021 & onwards )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK starting to charge for Seating in International Flights ( 2021 & onwards )

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Channel 9
Does anyone have tips for getting the seats assigned in advance? I'd even pay the $15 per seat, but the app and the website don't let me do so. You can't click on anything to pay for it.
For partner issued tickets, it's a pain.

The best way to do it is to go visit a sales office or an airport ticketing counter in person as in case they encounter an error, they would call the back office.
If you e-mail or call one of the offices, most likely, you would get a response that they wouldn't be able to reserve seats for your specific reservation.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Still nothing is working - I did hit them up on Twitter, they responded pretty fast but said to just call their call center, which of course, has no clue how to assign seats when they were purchased via United. Still trying various options.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's completely normal that the system would ask for money for your wife on a separate reservation. It's not a glitch or a bug.
You might try contacting a sales office for this and please report back your experience if you do so. By the way, seat selection is free during OLCI.
This post is a bit old, so so I wonder if seat selection indeed still free during OLCI for economy class passengers? This page https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...ions/check-in/ says that seats are assigned randomly during check-in and they cannot be changed once the boarding pass has been printed. So, does it work the same way as with Iberia or BA, for instance?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by krzysz
This post is a bit old, so so I wonder if seat selection indeed still free during OLCI for economy class passengers? This page https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...ions/check-in/ says that seats are assigned randomly during check-in and they cannot be changed once the boarding pass has been printed. So, does it work the same way as with Iberia or BA, for instance?
The section you're referring to is for "Domestic Flights" only.
For international flights and for domestic flights having an international connection, seat selection is still free during OLCI.
krzysz likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Having just returned from this trip, it was a comedy of incompetence all along. Turkish is the worst for advance seat assignments, and their IT is absolutely horrible. Even though I am half Turkish, I will avoid them as much as I can after this trip!!
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Dear folks,

Starting from 1 January 2021, Turkish Airlines would charge for advance seating on international flights as well. Passengers who hold Elite and Elite Plus status, Turkish Corporate Club members, and sailors would be still able to select standard (non-extra-legroom ) for free; however, all other passengers including non-TK Star Alliance Gold members would now need to pay for advance seat selection. Obviously, this only applies for Economy Class and Business Class seat selection remains unaffected..
Data Point: Booked a TK business class award ticket (US-IST-Asia) on the website - at the time of booking, I was able to select a seat on the IST-Asia segment, but not the US-IST segment. This is my 2nd booking for 2021 with the identical experience regarding seat selection.

Appears that seat selection is blocked for business class award tickets to/from North America - has anyone else had similar data points for reservations made in 2021?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.