Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade space availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Upgrade space availability

I have booked an economy ticket for travel in summer 2021. I'm looking to upgrade to business but there is no availability. I can see that there is I (award) space and also space in Z.
Is there a way to somehow get upgrade award space opened up? I understand upgrade awards book into J? Can calling be of any help? As so many, my miles expire at the end of this year so I do not have much time to wait...
Thanks.

Last edited by Ghentleman; Dec 2, 2020 at 2:29 am
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
I have booked an economy ticket for travel in summer 2021. I'm looking to upgrade to business but there is no availability. I can see that there is I (award) space and also space in Z.
Is there a way to somehow get award space opened up? I understand upgrade awards book into J? Can calling be of any help? As so many my miles expire at the end of this year so I do not have much time to wait...
Thanks.
Unfortunately other than waiting, there is nothing that you could do.
You would need "J" fare class for upgrades unless you do it so at the airport counter during check-in.

You might try calling but most likely you would get a negative answer.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you are trying to upgrade using miles, and the upgrade isn't showing online, there's nothing that the call centre can/will do about it.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You would need "J" fare class for upgrades unless you do it so at the airport counter during check-in.
Is this also valid for upgrading with the Elite Plus voucher? I think there was a recent change on that, right?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by flyjfk
Is this also valid for upgrading with the Elite Plus voucher? I think there was a recent change on that, right?
Elite Plus vouchers also need "J" fare bucket availability in normal cases.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Elite Plus vouchers also need "J" fare bucket availability in normal cases.
Is the posibility back to upgrade an eco ticket in the future (here June2021)as soon as 'J' booking class shows availabiltiy ? I had some problems last year to do so, as different cc agents told me the upgrade is only possible shortly before departure (24h)? Would be very nice if the instant upgrade as a ELPL member (per voucher) is back.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no_idea
Is the posibility back to upgrade an eco ticket in the future (here June2021)as soon as 'J' booking class shows availabiltiy ? I had some problems last year to do so, as different cc agents told me the upgrade is only possible shortly before departure (24h)? Would be very nice if the instant upgrade as a ELPL member (per voucher) is back.
There was information here in FlyerTalk provided by another member that the TK headquarters have stopped the processing of Elite Plus vouchers until the day of departure and could only be used with the permission of the back office.

I am not sure if this is the case at the moment as I haven't tried using vouchers recently.
I hope that other members' experiences would help.
no_idea likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
A friend purchased Q tickets on December 17th to DPS. Still the upgrades has not been confirmed by HQ and ticket updated although J-4 availability, flights are in March.
no_idea likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Originally Posted by Jaenks
A friend purchased Q tickets on December 17th to DPS. Still the upgrades has not been confirmed by HQ and ticket updated although J-4 availability, flights are in March.
This sounds not very good and at the end of the day you can end up at 'Y' for the long flight to DPS. BTW, I can also book a award with miles for my dates (I=4), but have to use the 2 vouchers till end of March .
Or full flex y ticket and cancel last minute if not upgraded.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by no_idea
This sounds not very good and at the end of the day you can end up at 'Y' for the long flight to DPS. BTW, I can also book a award with miles for my dates (I=4), but have to use the 2 vouchers till end of March .
Or full flex y ticket and cancel last minute if not upgraded.
Would not happen if the upgrade is not confirmed. He either rebook it or cancel the flights.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You or your friend could also go to a sales office ( visit in person ) and ask someone over there to handle the case.
A sales office would be able to directly call the dedicated department in the HQ and they might clear the ELPL vouchers on the spot.

By the way, if your friend bought a "Q" fare class ticket, he would not be unable to cancel the ticket without paying the cancellation fees.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:27 pm

You or your friend could also go to a sales office ( visit in person ) and ask someone over there to handle the case.
A sales office would be able to directly call the dedicated department in the HQ and they might clear the ELPL vouchers on the spot.
By the way, if your friend bought a "Q" fare class ticket, he would not be unable to cancel the ticket without paying the cancellation fees.
Thanks for your advise but wrong address, he will get it done. The presumption about not get it done was hypotetical because he is a corporate client and E+ member. The upgrade decision is stucked at HQ already as was in my case. The country manager dealing with his case, reason could be the holidays in Turkey. There are a different rules for corporate clients and the usual clients concerning the ticket prices, changes and cancellations.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Jaenks; Jan 3, 2021 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Thanks for your advise but wrong address, he will get it done. The presumption about not get it done was hypotetical because he is a corporate client and E+ member. The upgrade decision is stucked at HQ already as was in my case. The country manager dealing with his case, reason could be the holidays in Turkey. There are a different rules for corporate about the usual client about ticket prices, changes and cancellations.
I understood "cc" in the OP's original post as Call Center rather than Corporate Club in the first point.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:38 pm

I understood "cc" in the OP's original post as Call Center rather than Corporate Club in the first point.
Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, he meant call center, my friend is corporate client. He do not call to call center, he deals directly with sales office through assigned person.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another clarification that my advice was to visiting a sales office was to no_idea .
If he is a corporate client of TK, my point is invalid.

Not to your friend that you mentioned in post #8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.