FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Redemption: YUL-HNL vs EWR-HNL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2029278-redemption-yul-hnl-vs-ewr-hnl.html)

tobiashenry Nov 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Redemption: YUL-HNL vs EWR-HNL

I was able to make an award booking for EWR-HNL via SFO via TK's online portal (i.e. 7500 miles on UA on Y class and unable to redeem J online). This was the only route that I can redeem online via the Star Alliance Award Booking Portal.

When I asked about YUL-YVR-HNL on AC, I was quoted 10,000 miles for Y and 15,000 for J. Is it cheaper to redeem UA compared to AC? Since technically COVID is going on, I would prefer to travel on the Canadian side to make things less complicated since I reside in Canada.

Anyone also did a stopover award booking, seems a good candidate to stop in YYC as they have replaced rapid testing instead of 14-day mandatory quarantine? Is it also the same 7500/10000 miles?

ISTFlyer Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm

EWR-HNL is within the same country so 7500 miles one-way, YUL-HNL is not within the country so it's 10000 miles one-way.

UPDATED PART STARTS HERE

It's 7500/12500 miles for Economy/Business Class respectively for flights within the same country.
It's 10000/15000 miles for Economy/Business Class respectively for flights between North America and North America

The English version of the page does not indicate the same country chart.
UPDATED PART ENDS HERE

Also, as mentioned in the *A award thread, the online booking tool does not work for all available flights so it's not unusual not to see all the 'X' and 'I' fare award inventory through the TK website tool. You could alternatively check availability at a website of another *A partner and then call the TK hotline or contact a sales office if you are seeing 'X' and 'I' fare availability.

For the stopover award booking, I am not sure about how it works but it's definitely not bookable online.

Respective thread that similar issues are discussed: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...es-smiles.html

tobegold Nov 28, 2020 12:17 pm

[QUOTE=tobiashenry;32847890]I was able to make an award booking for EWR-HNL via SFO via TK's online portal (i.e. 7500 miles on UA on Y class and unable to redeem J online). This was the only route that I can redeem online via the Star Alliance Award Booking Portal.

When I asked about YUL-YVR-HNL on AC, I was quoted 10,000 miles for Y and 15,000 for J. Is it cheaper to redeem UA compared to AC? Since technically COVID is going on, I would prefer to travel on the Canadian side to make things less complicated since I reside in Canada.

Anyone also did a stopover award booking, seems a good candidate to stop in YYC as they have replaced rapid testing instead of 14-day mandatory quarantine? Is it also the same 7500/10000 miles?[

The YYC rapid testing eliminates the quarantine, but you have to stay in Alberta for 14 days, so unless you live in Alberta or are planning a 2 week visit there as part of your Hawaii trip it is not as great as it seems.

tobiashenry Nov 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 32847925)
EWR-HNL is within the same country so 7500 miles one-way, YUL-HNL is not within the country so it's 10000 miles one-way.

UPDATED PART STARTS HERE

It's 7500/12500 miles for Economy/Business Class respectively for flights within the same country.
It's 10000/15000 miles for Economy/Business Class respectively for flights between North America and North America

The English version of the page does not indicate the same country chart.

UPDATED PART ENDS HERE

Also, as mentioned in the *A award thread, the online booking tool does not work for all available flights so it's not unusual not to see all the 'X' and 'I' fare award inventory through the TK website tool. You could alternatively check availability at a website of another *A partner and then call the TK hotline or contact a sales office if you are seeing 'X' and 'I' fare availability.

For the stopover award booking, I am not sure about how it works but it's definitely not bookable online.

Respective thread that similar issues are discussed: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...es-smiles.html

Thanks for the cogent explanation! Maybe I will wait till when the US border reopens - which I am not sure whether it will, but the miles are redeemable until 31st Dec 2021. I hope that'd be alright by then! If I do this, YYC can be a good option and base to visit Banff, Jasper and around the area!

tobiashenry Nov 28, 2020 9:18 pm

[QUOTE=tobegold;32849491]

Originally Posted by tobiashenry (Post 32847890)
I was able to make an award booking for EWR-HNL via SFO via TK's online portal (i.e. 7500 miles on UA on Y class and unable to redeem J online). This was the only route that I can redeem online via the Star Alliance Award Booking Portal.

Anyone also did a stopover award booking, seems a good candidate to stop in YYC as they have replaced rapid testing instead of 14-day mandatory quarantine? Is it also the same 7500/10000 miles?[

The YYC rapid testing eliminates the quarantine, but you have to stay in Alberta for 14 days, so unless you live in Alberta or are planning a 2 week visit there as part of your Hawaii trip it is not as great as it seems.

Albeit I am not entirely sure whether I can move around from Banff to Jasper! I'll check if I do it : https://www.alberta.ca/international...ect.aspx#toc-4

It doesn't say whether I can change my base! But this is something really contingent on my friends and whether if in January whether the cases are still the same!