Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
ISTFlyer, as per your advice I waited and indeed there was a schedule change to my May flights. I called TK and tried to have them rebook me for December, which they said they couldn't do because there was a security verification that had to happen on my CC used to book the flight, and only a sales office could do that. I contacted the NYC sales office by email with all my new dates and they referred me back to the call center. Just got off the phone with the call center and they are telling me that to rebook in December there would be a fare difference as it was outside of 30 days (I cannot fly in the 30 days after my original flights)...on my previous call with the call center they did not mention that I would have to pay a fare difference. For a waiver of the fare difference, my flights had to have been cancelled (which they were not). And even if I did choose to pay the fare difference, I would still have to do this all through a sales office (and NYC wasn't particularly helpful).

Any further advice/recommendations?
For the -7/+30 days part, the second hotline agent was true. A schedule change ( flight numbers remain the same, timings changed ) would only allow rebooking without fare difference within those time frames, while for a cancellation ( flight number changed ), you would be able to rebook until 31 December 2021 without paying any fare difference.

I don't know where you live but as you have contacted the NYC city office, I'll assume that you live in that area; I would suggest you go to the JFK airport ticketing counter and sort everything over there. Speaking about sales offices, if you are able to visit them in person, that is a more effective way to solve your issue.

Also, as your ELPL vouchers/miles on the ticket are not expired, you could cancel the ticket through them and re-book when you have decided to travel if you are unable to travel to any North African destination within the -7/+30 day period from the original flights. If Morocco is closed, you would able to change your destination for free within -7/+30 days from your original flight, though, the destination must be somewhere in North Africa.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Looks like Open Ticket dates have been extended until 31 March 2022 now.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Looks like Open Ticket dates have been extended until 31 March 2022 now.
That would be perfect news... I am having 4 open tix and no options to use most of them in 2021...

Lets hope they will also extend the mile validity!
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Indeed!!!

On the website just now:
As we return to the skies, we offer unlimited changing rights to ensure that our passengers enjoy maximum peace of mind. Flexible Travel opportunities are offered until March 31, 2022 (inclusive), for tickets bought until December 31, 2021 (inclusive)
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For the -7/+30 days part, the second hotline agent was true. A schedule change ( flight numbers remain the same, timings changed ) would only allow rebooking without fare difference within those time frames, while for a cancellation ( flight number changed ), you would be able to rebook until 31 December 2021 without paying any fare difference.

I don't know where you live but as you have contacted the NYC city office, I'll assume that you live in that area; I would suggest you go to the JFK airport ticketing counter and sort everything over there. Speaking about sales offices, if you are able to visit them in person, that is a more effective way to solve your issue.

Also, as your ELPL vouchers/miles on the ticket are not expired, you could cancel the ticket through them and re-book when you have decided to travel if you are unable to travel to any North African destination within the -7/+30 day period from the original flights. If Morocco is closed, you would able to change your destination for free within -7/+30 days from your original flight, though, the destination must be somewhere in North Africa.
Thanks. I'm afraid that when I am able to travel again towards the end of the year, my points/ certificates WILL have expired. I'm leaning toward taking the trip with the new schedule as provided by TK in May... while not optimal, it might be the only chance I have to use those points and certificates before they expire. Hopefully enough will be open in Morocco that it's worth going!

EDIT: Seems flights from Turkey to Morocco are suspended until April 10 at least. If that gets extended to my dates in May, I suppose I'll get a refund and be able to travel later in the year as I'd hoped.

Last edited by dtphonehome; Mar 21, 2021 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks. I'm afraid that when I am able to travel again towards the end of the year, my points/ certificates WILL have expired. I'm leaning toward taking the trip with the new schedule as provided by TK in May... while not optimal, it might be the only chance I have to use those points and certificates before they expire. Hopefully enough will be open in Morocco that it's worth going!
A small reminder that you only need to use your miles/ELPL vouchers until the expiry date. You could fly with them after the expiry date but it must be applied on a ticket before the expiry date.

As your ELPL vouchers/miles are valid at this time, you could book something for the far future at the moment and use those miles/vouchers.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
A small reminder that you only need to use your miles/ELPL vouchers until the expiry date. You could fly with them after the expiry date but it must be applied on a ticket before the expiry date.

As your ELPL vouchers/miles are valid at this time, you could book something for the far future at the moment and use those miles/vouchers.
Right... I was considering converting to an open ticket, which TK told me would only be a coach ticket which I would have to upgrade later (with the redeposited points/voucher)... but if I didn't choose dates by the time they expired, I'd be out of luck. Anyway, without the flights having been cancelled, I'd still have to pay a fare difference (as I understand it) on the reissued tickets.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right... I was considering converting to an open ticket, which TK told me would only be a coach ticket which I would have to upgrade later (with the redeposited points/voucher)... but if I didn't choose dates by the time they expired, I'd be out of luck. Anyway, without the flights having been cancelled, I'd still have to pay a fare difference (as I understand it) on the reissued tickets.
Yes, an open ticket could not contain ELPL vouchers or mileage upgrades.
My suggestion remains the same, as you would need to pay a fare difference unless you are traveling within the next 30 days after your original travel dates ( your assumption is correct ), get a refund at the moment rather than dealing with open tickets. Whenever you're ready book something new.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:55 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Is the schedule "firm" for April yet? Or are they still expected to make another update?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
Is the schedule "firm" for April yet? Or are they still expected to make another update?

Thanks!
The major update for April is completed.
However, minor changes are possible depending on changes in border restrictions, travel bans, etc...
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Istflyer need your help. We had a trip booked in 2020 but covid put an end to it. So we re booked at no charge for Sept 2021 YYZ to IST then IST to SEZ then home in OCT. So just got and major schedule change like two days forward and two days back on the IST to SEZ part. All my hotels were booked so now all up in flames in the Seychelles. Can you tell me how to proceed? and what would you do? and how long can I wait to except the new flights? Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ramz
Istflyer need your help. We had a trip booked in 2020 but covid put an end to it. So we re booked at no charge for Sept 2021 YYZ to IST then IST to SEZ then home in OCT. So just got and major schedule change like two days forward and two days back on the IST to SEZ part. All my hotels were booked so now all up in flames in the Seychelles. Can you tell me how to proceed? and what would you do? and how long can I wait to except the new flights? Thanks.
You have time until 2 hours before the first flight that is offered in your new ( revised ) itinerary, so it would be some date in September 2021.
By the way, you haven't mentioned if you would like to cancel your ticket, change it back to your original dates, change it to another date combination; so what is your plan?

Also, is this ticket issued by TK or is this a partner award?
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
You have time until 2 hours before the first flight that is offered in your new ( revised ) itinerary, so it would be some date in September 2021.
By the way, you haven't mentioned if you would like to cancel your ticket, change it back to your original dates, change it to another date combination; so what is your plan?

Also, is this ticket issued by TK or is this a partner award?
TK issued the tickets bought from their website. We would like to still go and keep the same dates as my hotels are booked already in the Seychelles.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ramz
TK issued the tickets bought from their website. We would like to still go and keep the same dates as my hotels are booked already in the Seychelles.
Unfortunately, as TK isn't flying to SEZ on the dates you've requested and they have notified you well in advance ( 5-6 months in advance ), there is almost no chance that TK would rebook you on another airline.

What you could do is that;

1- Hope that TK adds additional frequencies on the date you are willing to travel: Border restrictions, the vaccination rate in the world ( Seychelles requires one ), the demand would show this. However, I would not count on this.
2- Change your destination to a nearby TK destination in the South Africa region and arrange your travel to Seychelles on your own expense. Separate tickets are always a risk, especially when there is the possibility of schedule changes ( Lusaka, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Maputo, Madagascar, Mauritius are your options )
3- Refund your TK tickets for a full refund to your credit card and purchase a new ticket on another airline

If your hotel is flexible regarding date changes,
4- Slightly move the dates for your hotel reservation and fly on any date which TK flies to SEZ.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
I have a question in relation to the Open Ticket.

I have a Z-class ticket to SEZ that has been cancelled. I understand from the FAQ in the beginning of this thread that if I convert this ticket to an Open Ticket, I will be rebooked into the cheapest business class ticket (J class I assume?), which comes with a higher cancellation fee and lower milage earning. Is this correct or would I be rebooked into Z class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.