Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:01 pm

What to do? Update

After messaging the local TK office and not hearing back from them yesterday I messaged some other TK offices with no luck. Radio silence.

The 2 US TK phone number representatives were adamant that I knew I had self downgraded myself from J to Y and I would not be getting any kind of refund. It was quite frustrating and infuriating. I have dealt with them in person in Turkey and Iraq and I always felt like I was just banging my head against a wall.

After the ATL representative told me he couldn't help me I was contemplating my next move as to filing a cc dispute (however these tickets were purchased last June, so I don't think that would go anywhere) or waiting to hear back from the complaint I had filed on the website.

About 3 hours after hearing from the ATL rep they emailed me back and said they had found a way to reissue new tickets back in Business class. Outbound is in K and return in J (not sure what that means).

All-in-all a very frustrating 24 hours and one that didn't even need to have been visited if TK could come out of the dark ages in reference to their sad IT.

Edit: thank you ISTFlyer for all of your continued assistance
DaveS and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
At least the issue is solved and the TK representative at ATL has helped you.
You should be grateful for that in the world of TK and it's beautiful IT

By the way, "K" and "J" are both discounted Business Class fare buckets.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Amazing thread, great job ISTFlyer
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I've got open ticket and now trying to book for new dates, obviously I cant done it online and call centre want to charge me "some fare that systems shows them" which is about 20€ but the new flights are about 40€ less expensive that my open ticket value. Any idea how to go over that fee?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I've got open ticket and now trying to book for new dates, obviously I cant done it online and call centre want to charge me "some fare that systems shows them" which is about 20€ but the new flights are about 40€ less expensive that my open ticket value. Any idea how to go over that fee?
I assume that this is a voluntarily converted open ticket as the fare difference is requested.

Open tickets do not hold a value but a routing with ticketing rules and fare information so I assume that the agent was unable to book you a cheaper fare bucket than your original one. I am not sure if it's possible but you might try contacting a sales office and ask the ticket to be rebooked at the cheapest available fare, however, you might need to forfeit the €20.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I assume that this is a voluntarily converted open ticket as the fare difference is requested.

Open tickets do not hold a value but a routing with ticketing rules and fare information so I assume that the agent was unable to book you a cheaper fare bucket than your original one. I am not sure if it's possible but you might try contacting a sales office and ask the ticket to be rebooked at the cheapest available fare, however, you might need to forfeit the €20.
The truth is we had promotion "U" on PRG-IST and back "W" IST-PRG, now both flights are "U" so yeah, you are probably right they will get us back to "W", hence the 20€. As far as I know that's exactly the difference between U and W on this flight. Wrote a feedback not an answer yet, called in again and they barely know why they are charging me but...cant do anything else.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Hi,

how complicated is in case of involuntary cancellation to force TK to issue ticket on the same route with another airline? Probably they would be more happy to refund the ticket whatsoever...

Are they pushing to select Star Alliance in such case, or it could be, say, QR, EY?
Are there any different rules based on how early in advance they announce their flight cancellation?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Close to impossible unless it is an IRROPS situation. If the cancellation is more than 14 days out there is close to zero chance.

Often your only remedy is to accept a full refund and book with the airline that suit your needs.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Close to impossible unless it is an IRROPS situation. If the cancellation is more than 14 days out there is close to zero chance.

Often your only remedy is to accept a full refund and book with the airline that suit your needs.
Ahh... I was still having some hope, at least as per ISTFlyer in the Topic 3 above: If you would like to rebook on another airline when EC 261/2004 or Turkish SHGM regulations apply, you would need to fill out a feedback form or contact a sales office.
Just not sure if that is something doable/realistic....

I also checked their own document called PASSENGER RIGHTS where they have stated: In case of cancellation of flights "Free of charge reservation / route change" - but they have not dated that document, nor are providing clear guidelines...
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree, you def. need to contact a local ticket office to succeed. There is no point trying to call TK call center; those agents have no authority to rebook like this. I guess it will also improve your chances if TK is not flying to the destination anymore. If TK is still operating but not on the day that you were booked the chances are slim, but hey, give it a try and report back.

Is this an TK M&S award or revenue ticket? In an award issued by other carrier you can forget about TK even touching the ticket.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I agree, you def. need to contact a local ticket office to succeed. There is no point trying to call TK call center; those agents have no authority to rebook like this. I guess it will also improve your chances if TK is not flying to the destination anymore. If TK is still operating but not on the day that you were booked the chances are slim, but hey, give it a try and report back.

Is this an TK M&S award or revenue ticket? In an award issued by other carrier you can forget about TK even touching the ticket.
Thanks,SK AAR!

Just the good old revenue ticket Fingers crossed .... Not cancelled yet but I am bracing for the worst for next month...
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a reminder that even the sales offices would book to another airline only if there are no TK flights available at that date and the cancellation is somewhere between the flight and 15 days before the flight.

If your flight has been cancelled at least 15 days in advance, you have almost no luck to be rebooked on another airline.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:38 am

Does anyone know how late the booking can be changed?

I'm in a position where I have a doctors appointment on Friday the 19th, but I'd like to book a ticket to the UK for Sunday the 21st. There is a possibility that the doctor might want a follow up appointment. However, I want to get back to the UK ASAP due to this recent hotel quarantine requirement thats been brought in so I'd like to have the booking ready if I can. Obviously if the doctor wants a follow up I'd have to change the ticket but it will be pretty late due to the timing.

Can you change a booking within 48 hours of the flight?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tekrem
Does anyone know how late the booking can be changed?

I'm in a position where I have a doctors appointment on Friday the 19th, but I'd like to book a ticket to the UK for Sunday the 21st. There is a possibility that the doctor might want a follow up appointment. However, I want to get back to the UK ASAP due to this recent hotel quarantine requirement thats been brought in so I'd like to have the booking ready if I can. Obviously if the doctor wants a follow up I'd have to change the ticket but it will be pretty late due to the timing.

Can you change a booking within 48 hours of the flight?
Hi tekrem and welcome to FlyerTalk!

You are allowed to change a booking until check-in closes for your first flight ( 1h15 minutes before for international flights ) so that shouldn't be a problem. You would have plenty of time if the doctor would like a follow-up appointment. However, a kind reminder that you would be responsible for any fare difference.

By the way, I am not sure where are you originating from, however, Turkey is not on the hotel quarantine list for the UK.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Just had yet another frustrating call with the TK call center. I’m trying to cancel/refund an award reservation that I booked some time ago. When I originally booked, I had one of the sales offices hold the space, then called and ticketed it through the call center. Since then, there have been several scheduling changes that I resolved through the call center. Now that I’m trying to cancel, they’re saying they can’t process a refund, it has to go through the sales office. This was causing a major issue as I had alternate flights booked directly on UA and they kept dropping the segments as dupes since they conflicted with the award reservation. Eventually, I got TK to just cancel the flight segments and leave the ticket open without refunding the miles.

I’ve had such a hard time with getting the sales offices to respond, is this really the only way to process the refund? And the flight was for this coming Tues - can I assume that since the flight segments are cancelled, I don’t have to worry about getting the refund processed before then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.