Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
First, I would start with the visa issue; unfortunately, it's the passengers responsibility to obtain a visa according to her travel. It that traveler needs to fly TK into Turkey, that's her own problem and if she requires to fly another airline, she would need to contact the embassy and probably apply for a new visa.

If your flight has been cancelled, TK would book you on another *A carrier with award inventory but if there is no inventory, it's very likely that they would offer you a refund of your miles and taxes unless you could escalate the claim to someone superior that could rebook you on another carrier at a revenue fare bucket ( this would not happen unless the cancellation is made within the last 15 days days before the flight ).

If they only offer you to get a refund, your miles would still expire on 31DEC21 but if you ask open a claim through the feedback form, it's a likely situation that TK would extend the validity of those miles as a goodwill gesture but you would have to ask for it. They wouldn't be pro-actively extending the validity of the respective miles.
The visa issue is not really possible to resolve. Turkey only issues visas with this condition (must fly on Turkish, Onur or Pegasus) to her nationality. It's not uncommon among the "lesser" African countries. I can't imagine TK being unwilling to reissue on TK metal anyway if the option exists. Fortunately we would be flying between two *A hubs so there should be a wide selection of intermediate points to connect at, but the concern would be award inventory.

I guess the only answer is to wait and see what happens around 28th December and then scramble around at the last minute if they cancel 🤣
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:40 am

If your flight has been cancelled, TK would book you on another *A carrier with award inventory but if there is no inventory, it's very likely that they would offer you a refund of your miles and taxes unless you could escalate the claim to someone superior that could rebook you on another carrier at a revenue fare bucket ( this would not happen unless the cancellation is made within the last 15 days days before the flight ).
So I received the expected cancellation notice this morning (TK is not going to resume India flights until at least February) together with a note to contact the call center "for more details and free change requests".

I've been looking at the options on ExpertFlyer and there is award "I" class availability for DEL-DOH (AI) connecting to DOH-IST-ADB (TK). Do you think I'll get lucky in getting them to rebook me onto this? I'm ready to buy my own ticket from BOM-DEL if they can rebook me out of Delhi.

I plan to call them later this evening when I get home but any tips appreciated. This is the first time I'm actually trying to get a *A partner booking with TK so a bit apprehensive.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:14 am

So I just got off the phone with the call center.

They claim that the rebooking policy for awards is that any rebooking must be within 7 days of the original date and must strictly be on the same carrier and same routing only. So the only option is to rebook for BOM-IST-ADB on TK metal, which of course is impossible to do since they are not flying this route at all as of now.

Additionally, they claim that they cannot see any award availability on any flight out of India to any destination on any airline on any date, so they can't book a new award either (he supposedly tried from BOM/DEL/MAA/HYD/BLR to DXB/AUH/DOH/BAH/MCT/RUH/FRA/LHR). I decided to politely HUCA but this is quite disheartening!

Help @ISTFlyer, you are the oracle of loopholes and policies that I must call upon to solve this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
So I just got off the phone with the call center.

They claim that the rebooking policy for awards is that any rebooking must be within 7 days of the original date and must strictly be on the same carrier and same routing only. So the only option is to rebook for BOM-IST-ADB on TK metal, which of course is impossible to do since they are not flying this route at all as of now.

Additionally, they claim that they cannot see any award availability on any flight out of India to any destination on any airline on any date, so they can't book a new award either (he supposedly tried from BOM/DEL/MAA/HYD/BLR to DXB/AUH/DOH/BAH/MCT/RUH/FRA/LHR). I decided to politely HUCA but this is quite disheartening!

Help @ISTFlyer, you are the oracle of loopholes and policies that I must call upon to solve this.
The only thing that I could advise is to visit a sales office which could handle this case in a much better way. You could also e-mail or phone one of them but visiting one in person would be more helpful in these cases.

By the way, not poster specific but as a general reminder that because I am from Turkey doesn't mean that I am affiliated with Turkish Airlines or I work for Turkish Airlines; and because of the high amount of PM's that I am getting regarding of TK policies, I have decided to share the information here that I wouldn't answer queries that belong to threads via PM anymore until further notice and delete them without notice. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this might cause. A reminder that we have a flame-free thread in the forum and everyone is welcome to post their questions over there even if it's too dummy to ask and someone ( maybe me ) would be responding queries as soon as they could.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should consider requesting a refund of the existing TK award ticket and then book a new award ticket from scratch. Asking for TK to rebook your M&S award to another carrier will most likely fail (even with I class availability) and is much more complicated than simply booking a new award.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:32 am

The only thing that I could advise is to visit a sales office which could handle this case in a much better way. You could also e-mail or phone one of them but visiting one in person would be more helpful in these cases.
Alas, no sales office anywhere in the country I am in right now (Malawi) so that won't work. I'll drop a note to the Ghana office though to see if they can help - my account was domiciled there for the last few years but they are usually singularly unhelpful / incompetent.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should consider requesting a refund of the existing TK award ticket and then book a new award ticket from scratch. Asking for TK to rebook your M&S award to another carrier will most likely fail (even with I class availability) and is much more complicated than simply booking a new award.
Yeah, the catch is that somehow the agents claim (two of them now) that there is no "I" or "X" class visible on any flights from India at all - even though it is available via ExpertFlyer as well as other *A partners. So not sure what I can do to solve that part of the problem!

I'm leaning towards buying an Air India ticket to Kathmandu and picking up TK from KTM-IST-ADB. It's just over $100 each for the one-way plus a $30 visa for Nepal, so that may wind up being the final fallback.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite Plus, SQ Gold, BA Gold, VS Gold, Globalist, HH Diamond
I´m holding a TK J ticket for a domestic routing with severe schedule changes. Is it eligible now to reroute also to an international EU-IST direct flight?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:38 pm

Turkish free change policy is a scam. Sorry for harsh words. In short, "fare difference" applies, and this "fare difference" is huge because Turkish is repricing the ticket from cheap round-trip fare to expensive one-way fare.

Here's the situation: I booked a round-trip economy ticket from Canada to Europe specifically because Turkish advertises zero change fee policy, which also works after outbound is flown, in case I need to change the return. Turns out when I try changing the return after flying the outbound, Turkish does not allow to use the same cheap round-trip fare class that is still available, but instead uses an expensive one-way fare, resulting in a very large fare difference. It's a huge gotcha. Now it's cheaper for me to just throw away the return portion and just buy a new one-way ticket on another airline.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by echino
Turkish free change policy is a scam. Sorry for harsh words. In short, "fare difference" applies, and this "fare difference" is huge because Turkish is repricing the ticket from cheap round-trip fare to expensive one-way fare.

Here's the situation: I booked a round-trip economy ticket from Canada to Europe specifically because Turkish advertises zero change fee policy, which also works after outbound is flown, in case I need to change the return. Turns out when I try changing the return after flying the outbound, Turkish does not allow to use the same cheap round-trip fare class that is still available, but instead uses an expensive one-way fare, resulting in a very large fare difference. It's a huge gotcha. Now it's cheaper for me to just throw away the return portion and just buy a new one-way ticket on another airline.
Hang up and call again, the agent has probably done a fault.
They should have honored the return portion of a round-trip ticket in your case.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:10 pm

They should have honored the return portion of a round-trip ticket in your case.
Trying online rebooking on TK website - same result. After outbound is flown, attempting to change the return results in pricing the new return flight as a one way fare (expensive), and then crediting the paid return portion of the round-trip fare (cheap). This means that it's never possible to change a TK return ticket for free, after outbound is flown. There will always be a very large fare difference.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Yes Turkish Airlines isn't always delivering on it's promise. I have an open ticket (following involuntary flight cancellation), and TK is refusing to ticket it on some dates, although they are still selling seats for those days (both cash and award).
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:46 pm

Sharing my brief and good experience... was due to fly to CPT however TK cancelled all their flights from/to ZA, got the e-mail notification Sunday evening, clicked through the link/app (can't remember anymore) and was able to request a full refund which gave an error although the booking disappeared.
Called on Monday morning and got confirmation flight will be refunded, checked today and money is already back to my CC.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:32 am

The way the "Zero Change Fee policy" post 2 is written now wrongly suggests that it may be possible to change a ticket for free after departure. Could you please update the post 2 to clarify that it's impossible to change a ticket for free after departure. Turkish Airlines policy is that after departure, any changes to return flight will result in a repricing to one-way fare, resulting in a significant fare difference.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by echino
The way the "Zero Change Fee policy" post 2 is written now wrongly suggests that it may be possible to change a ticket for free after departure. Could you please update the post 2 to clarify that it's impossible to change a ticket for free after departure. Turkish Airlines policy is that after departure, any changes to return flight will result in a repricing to one-way fare, resulting in a significant fare difference.
Earlier today, I have changed a ticket after the first leg has flown and the fare difference was the exact fare difference based on the historic round-trip fare that the ticket was purchased.
I have also verified this at Expertflyer.

So, the experience that I had was totally different than your one.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:55 pm

Earlier today, I have changed a ticket after the first leg has flown and the fare difference was the exact fare difference based on the historic round-trip fare that the ticket was purchased.
I have also verified this at Expertflyer.

So, the experience that I had was totally different than your one.
Was that a long haul ticket? Rules appear to be different for domestic, short haul and long haul.

My ticket was originally purchased in fare class V (round trip). When I try booking a new round-trip ticket with the same return date, the same original fare in class V is available for a new return date. But when I try rebooking the return for that date, Turkish Airlines does not allow to book it in the original class V that is still available. Instead, they insist they can only rebook in class S (one way), which is significantly more expensive, resulting in a large fare difference. I have screenshots. I tried many times and many combinations, same result. Please update your post 2. It's misleading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.