IST-YVR Route Launch

Old Oct 12, 20, 5:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,035
IST-YVR Route Launch

Does anyone have any insight at to when/if the IST-YVR route will launch?

I believe it was initially supposed to have started in June 2020, but got pushed to Sept 2020.
It seems this date has again shuffled to Jan 2021.

Of course, I don't expect any one here to know anything definitive. Was more interested in if anyone knows TK's prior history regarding new routes and whether TK will actually fly this route eventually.
Or are TK more like QR where new routes are announced, but then silently disappear after a little while.

Reason for this question is I'm in initial stages of planning a trip next summer, and I have the option of flying IST-YVR or IST-YUL.
Would love to do IST-YVR for the simplicity, but at the same time, I'd rather avoid the headache of re-route due to cancellation.

Last edited by pentiumvi; Oct 13, 20 at 12:20 pm
pentiumvi is offline  
Old Oct 12, 20, 10:03 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 13,739
This route is more likely to stay.
In the past, TK did not have any of their new long-haul routes disappear after they loaded into the system.

My opinion on this would be that TK is postponing the inaugural for this route and EWR month by month in order not to lose the slots and to attract passengers. Also there is uncertainity about when Canada would re-open their borders to foreigners and lift the quarantine for international arrivals.

By the way, unlike other carriers who did load a bulk seasonal schedule change to their inventory for the winter season, TK decided to load the schedules for every month individually, presumably 6-8 weeks before the start of a month.

Also, a reminder that when you purchase a YVR ticket and your YVR flights get cancelled, according to the TK policy, you would be able to change your destination without penalty as both Vancouver and Montreal are in the same region.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 1:54 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,278
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also, a reminder that when you purchase a YVR ticket and your YVR flights get cancelled, according to the TK policy, you would be able to change your destination without penalty as both Vancouver and Montreal are in the same region.
Yes.. but if you change your TK flight to YUL yet still want to get to YVR, you're looking at an additional 6-hour flight you'd have to pay for separately. (i.e. you probably want your money back to make other arrangements)

I'm also very keen to see this route happen, although the connectivity isn't great for me... As mentioned though, with Canada closed to foreigners there's no point launching the route, but I'm sure that YVR will be thrilled to hold the slot for TK...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 6:13 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes.. but if you change your TK flight to YUL yet still want to get to YVR, you're looking at an additional 6-hour flight you'd have to pay for separately. (i.e. you probably want your money back to make other arrangements)

I'm also very keen to see this route happen, although the connectivity isn't great for me... As mentioned though, with Canada closed to foreigners there's no point launching the route, but I'm sure that YVR will be thrilled to hold the slot for TK...
If I don't understand in a false way, the OP is ready to pay a separate ticket from YVR or YUL if needed, nothing would change if he does it know or if he does it later on, except for the prices of the separate ticket.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 7:05 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,278
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If I don't understand in a false way, the OP is ready to pay a separate ticket from YVR or YUL if needed, nothing would change if he does it know or if he does it later on, except for the prices of the separate ticket.
Fair enough. But unless the OP is a Canadian citizen YUL/YVR will be irrelevant if the borders remain closed. And surely it would be risky to buy a separate ticket YUL-YVR with no clarity about any of the entry rules (and how foreign airlines will react to them)

Of course if the OP is indifferent to visiting Quebec or BC, then booking YUL would be the safer bet as that's a route already in operation... (although I haven't been paying attention to whether TK has continued to operate it much during COVID)
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 12:06 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,035
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Fair enough. But unless the OP is a Canadian citizen YUL/YVR will be irrelevant if the borders remain closed. And surely it would be risky to buy a separate ticket YUL-YVR with no clarity about any of the entry rules (and how foreign airlines will react to them)

Of course if the OP is indifferent to visiting Quebec or BC, then booking YUL would be the safer bet as that's a route already in operation... (although I haven't been paying attention to whether TK has continued to operate it much during COVID)
I'm based on YVR, but regularly travel to YUL for work related reasons.
So I have the possibility of basically ending my trip in either YUL or YVR.

It's just much more convenient for me to end up at home, versus right back to work
Unfortunately, I typically need to make arrangements as to where I am going to be a few months in advance... So if I book IST-YVR but TK decides to cancel closer to departure, it'll be slightly difficult for me.

I believe at this time, TK is operating the IST-YUL route 3x weekly.

Last edited by pentiumvi; Oct 13, 20 at 12:19 pm
pentiumvi is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 2:17 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 18,066
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes.. but if you change your TK flight to YUL yet still want to get to YVR, you're looking at an additional 6-hour flight you'd have to pay for separately. (i.e. you probably want your money back to make other arrangements)

I'm also very keen to see this route happen, although the connectivity isn't great for me... As mentioned though, with Canada closed to foreigners there's no point launching the route, but I'm sure that YVR will be thrilled to hold the slot for TK...
I'm interested in this route myself, but the last time I checked, I think the flight out of YVR is in the afternoon. Is the arrival time at IST good enough for connecting flights to other stations?
lsquare is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 2:33 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm interested in this route myself, but the last time I checked, I think the flight out of YVR is in the afternoon. Is the arrival time at IST good enough for connecting flights to other stations?
Yes, the arrival bank is suitable for the late-evening Europe departures, the Indian peninsula destinations; Central Asian destinations including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan; Far East destinations; African destinations; the Middle East; so the YVR flight pretty suitable for onward connections.
lsquare likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 2:56 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 18,066
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, the arrival bank is suitable for the late-evening Europe departures, the Indian peninsula destinations; Central Asian destinations including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan; Far East destinations; African destinations; the Middle East; so the YVR flight pretty suitable for onward connections.
I totally forgot about you bro. You're definitely am expert here.

I just searched up the latest departure and arrival times.

TK075 IST1405 1550YVR 789 357
TK076 YVR1720 1450+1IST 789 357

Not sure what 357 means. I'm not too happy about the early departure time out of IST. I definitely would have preferred a later departure time.

What is the typical departure time from IST to destinations like SIN, HKG, PVG, SYD, and TYO? I know things will change due to COVID. With KE's merger with OZ, I'm going to need a new *A program. I'm definitely interested in TK.
lsquare is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 3:04 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by lsquare
I totally forgot about you bro. You're definitely am expert here.

I just searched up the latest departure and arrival times.

TK075 IST1405 1550YVR 789 357
TK076 YVR1720 1450+1IST 789 357

Not sure what 357 means. I'm not too happy about the early departure time out of IST. I definitely would have preferred a later departure time.

What is the typical departure time from IST to destinations like SIN, HKG, PVG, SYD, and TYO? I know things will change due to COVID. With KE's merger with OZ, I'm going to need a new *A program. I'm definitely interested in TK.
357 means that the flight would depart on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
For Far East destinations the departure bank was always between "00:30 & 02:30" but for some of them there is a second daily ( not sure that it would operate in the future ) for a departure bank between "19:30-21:30". The arrivals at IST are generally around "05:00-07:00" to allow morning transfers as well.

Sidenote 1: TK doesn't fly to Sydney
Sidenote 2: TK doesn't have any requirement to fly them if you enroll to M&S and achieve status, you could accrue all your miles from other *A partners as well.
Sidenote 3: If you have a connection between 4h-9h in Business Class, you would have the privilege of the free sleeping room at the IST Lounge during your layover. M&S Elite Plus members traveling on Y could also benefit from this. ( Although temporarily suspended due to COVID )
lsquare and reggiekush like this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 3:11 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 18,066
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
357 means that the flight would depart on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
For Far East destinations the departure bank was always between "00:30 & 02:30" but for some of them there is a second daily ( not sure that it would operate in the future ) for a departure bank between "19:30-21:30". The arrivals at IST are generally around "05:00-07:00" to allow morning transfers as well.

Sidenote 1: TK doesn't fly to Sydney
Sidenote 2: TK doesn't have any requirement to fly them if you enroll to M&S and achieve status, you could accrue all your miles from other *A partners as well.
Sidenote 3: If you have a connection between 4h-9h in Business Class, you would have the privilege of the free sleeping room at the IST Lounge during your layover. M&S Elite Plus members traveling on Y could also benefit from this. ( Although temporarily suspended due to COVID )
FT should make you a mod! Thx bro!

I haven't been to the new IST yet. Have you? Is there a Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt at or near IST.

If the far east destinations are between 00:30 and 02:30, then I'll have 5+ hours at IST. Is the TK lounge any good in terms of food?

I'm leaning on TK because I read that they have a two year qualifying window?

Sucks that they don't fly to SYD. Was there any talk of doing so?
lsquare is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 3:27 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by lsquare
FT should make you a mod! Thx bro!
You're welcome

Originally Posted by lsquare
I haven't been to the new IST yet. Have you? Is there a Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt at or near IST.
I consider the first question as an unfunny joke. I would like to ask you that, have you ever been to YVR? ( Just kidding )
The only airport hotel in IST is the YOTEL and there are three hotels under construction in the airport city but we still have no opening dates about them, nor which chain would they be relied on.
The nearest hotels of the chains that you have mentioned are 20-30 minutes away by car from the airport and 40-45 minutes by public transportation. There is a Radisson 10 minutes away from the airport but the only way to go there is by taxi.

Originally Posted by lsquare
If the far east destinations are between 00:30 and 02:30, then I'll have 5+ hours at IST. Is the TK lounge any good in terms of food?
The TK Lounges at IST ( both the M&S Lounge and the Business Lounge ) had a decent amount of food pre-COVID, now they only offer limited content with limited hot food and mostly pre-packaged individual items. I have no clue wheater the lounges would return to their old normal at some point.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm leaning on TK because I read that they have a two year qualifying window?
No, the M&S program has a one-year qualifying window but a very generous two-year re-qualifying window compared to other *A frequent flyer programs.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Sucks that they don't fly to SYD. Was there any talk of doing so?
TK starting to SYD was always a rumor but it always stayed as a rumor. Once, it SYD showed as a TK destination on the route map of the Skylife but that was all, no other indications were present by the airline side.
lsquare likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 3:37 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 18,066
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You're welcome



I consider the first question as an unfunny joke. I would like to ask you that, have you ever been to YVR? ( Just kidding )
The only airport hotel in IST is the YOTEL and there are three hotels under construction in the airport city but we still have no opening dates about them, nor which chain would they be relied on.
The nearest hotels of the chains that you have mentioned are 20-30 minutes away by car from the airport and 40-45 minutes by public transportation. There is a Radisson 10 minutes away from the airport but the only way to go there is by taxi.



The TK Lounges at IST ( both the M&S Lounge and the Business Lounge ) had a decent amount of food pre-COVID, now they only offer limited content with limited hot food and mostly pre-packaged individual items. I have no clue wheater the lounges would return to their old normal at some point.



No, the M&S program has a one-year qualifying window but a very generous two-year re-qualifying window compared to other *A frequent flyer programs.



TK starting to SYD was always a rumor but it always stayed as a rumor. Once, it SYD showed as a TK destination on the route map of the Skylife but that was all, no other indications were present by the airline side.
Haha. I wasn't sure if you have been flying due to COVID. My apologies.

I won't be doing any flying until the pandemic is over so I'm not going to worry how things are like. In terms of food, I've been a lounge at the old IST with my Priority Pass, but wasn't impressed with the food selection. I forgot the name off the top of my head. Without a decent food spread, any long layover at IST will be brutal.

Oh, my bad then. It's 40k miles to qualify and 37.5k to re-qualify in the 2 year window? I'm assuming status follows the start and end of a calendar year?

OT, but what's the longest TK flight out of IST?

To go back on topic, I'm not sure if TK have any A350s in it's fleet, but if it did, I would have preferred that over the Dreamliner.
lsquare is offline  
Old Nov 17, 20, 3:49 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by lsquare
Haha. I wasn't sure if you have been flying due to COVID. My apologies.
The new IST opened in October 2018 and yes I don't mind flying during the pandemic era.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I won't be doing any flying until the pandemic is over so I'm not going to worry how things are like. In terms of food, I've been a lounge at the old IST with my Priority Pass, but wasn't impressed with the food selection. I forgot the name off the top of my head. Without a decent food spread, any long layover at IST will be brutal.
The new airport lounges ( both TK and the PriorityPass lounges ) have a better spread than the contract lounge in the old airport ( I assume that it's the Primeclass or Millenium Lounge ).
I have reviews of both around the forum and on other websites.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Oh, my bad then. It's 40k miles to qualify and 37.5k to re-qualify in the 2 year window? I'm assuming status follows the start and end of a calendar year?
Yes, for Elite status it's 40k miles in your first year to qualify and then 25k miles in the 1-year requalification window or 37.5k miles in the 2-year requalification window to re-qualify.
Although, TK does not follow a calendar year format. You could earn the 40k miles in any given 365-day interval of your choice.

Originally Posted by lsquare
OT, but what's the longest TK flight out of IST?
Direct: IST-MEX ( 7088 miles )
Indirect: IST-EZE ( 7614 miles ) via GRU

Originally Posted by lsquare
To go back on topic, I'm not sure if TK have any A350s in it's fleet, but if it did, I would have preferred that over the Dreamliner.
They currently have two A350's and they are operating on LHR and MNL routes. No ideas on which routes they would fly in the future. There are some A350's scheduled as placeholders for some routes but they are obviously subject to change.
lsquare and DaveS like this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 6:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYC-PRG/VIE
Posts: 2,023
Start pushed back to March 9th 2021 as of today.
YYCCL3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.