IST-YVR Route Launch

Old Nov 23, 20, 6:53 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 3,321
code share query - AC ?

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
Start pushed back to March 9th 2021 as of today.
Interesting. Any speculation on what the AC codeshare arrangements will look like? (TK currently operates out of YUL & YYZ).
Antonio8069 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 7:47 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 9,719
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Interesting. Any speculation on what the AC codeshare arrangements will look like? (TK currently operates out of YUL & YYZ).
I don't think that AC would codeshare the TK service to YVR. Air Canada has recently signed a codeshare and partnership agreement with Qatar Airways for the Middle East and some other destinations.

By the way, due to the joint venture agreement between LH, UA, and AC; Air Canada is not allowed to sell point-to-point tickets on the YYZ-IST codeshare, plus they could also not use this service for selling onward connections to Europe.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 10:01 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Gold
Posts: 59
As of today, it looks like they are only selling flights starting May 2. Curious if this route will be just outright cancelled at one point, since it hasn't even been opened.
toonomadic is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 10:08 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 9,719
Originally Posted by toonomadic View Post
As of today, it looks like they are only selling flights starting May 2. Curious if this route will be just outright cancelled at one point, since it hasn't even been opened.
If I'm not wrong, TK would start the route at some point, most likely when Canada re-opens their border and removes quarantine for arrivals.
Vancouver is a strategic destination for TK and due to the border closures and Canada implementing 15 days of self-isolation where the first 3 days are spent in a hotel room, I don't think there is demand at this point.
lsquare and toonomadic like this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 11:38 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,189
Originally Posted by toonomadic View Post
As of today, it looks like they are only selling flights starting May 2. Curious if this route will be just outright cancelled at one point, since it hasn't even been opened.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
If I'm not wrong, TK would start the route at some point, most likely when Canada re-opens their border and removes quarantine for arrivals.
Vancouver is a strategic destination for TK and due to the border closures and Canada implementing 15 days of self-isolation where the first 3 days are spent in a hotel room, I don't think there is demand at this point.
I had been about to move over some Marriott points to book some August flights to/from YVR, when the J award space just disappeared yesterday. That's not a great sign IMO, but of course it could be meaningless.

The new Canadian rules about hotel quarantine are completely about dis-incentivising Canadians from travelling internationally. (borders are of course shut to foreigners already) I can't really see that changing until a significant % of the population is vaccinated, and that's not going to happen by May and probably not before the summer. Simply not the time to be launching a new route...

But longer term there still may be a market for South Asia <--> Western Canada that isn't really well served by anybody.
lsquare likes this.
craigthemif is online now  
Old Feb 24, 21, 11:46 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Gold
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I had been about to move over some Marriott points to book some August flights to/from YVR, when the J award space just disappeared yesterday. That's not a great sign IMO, but of course it could be meaningless.

The new Canadian rules about hotel quarantine are completely about dis-incentivising Canadians from travelling internationally. (borders are of course shut to foreigners already) I can't really see that changing until a significant % of the population is vaccinated, and that's not going to happen by May and probably not before the summer. Simply not the time to be launching a new route...

But longer term there still may be a market for South Asia <--> Western Canada that isn't really well served by anybody.
I'm personally invested b/c I have an Aeroplan J ticket and hoping not to be rerouted on their own carriers given the state of the latter's current service (which may very well change by June but still)...

If cancellation is coming for June I'd rather know it earlier than 2 weeks/1 month prior and rebook for later than fly LH/AC to my final destination in EU. Fingers crossed.
toonomadic is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 11:49 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,517
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
If I'm not wrong, TK would start the route at some point, most likely when Canada re-opens their border and removes quarantine for arrivals.
Vancouver is a strategic destination for TK and due to the border closures and Canada implementing 15 days of self-isolation where the first 3 days are spent in a hotel room, I don't think there is demand at this point.
Why do you think YVR is a strategic destination for TK?
lsquare is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 1:27 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 9,719
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Why do you think YVR is a strategic destination for TK?
YVR is slot limited because the Canadian government wants to protect Air Canada. That's why none of the ME3 is able to fly to Vancouver. TK would have strategic importance carrying the Central Asian population from/to their native country. There is a huge YVR <-> Central Asia market and TK is now part of it.

Also, someone in airliners.net was mentioning that Turkish had spent a lot of effort getting those slots. Initially, the Canadian government rejected TK's slot request, then they provided 2 slots for arrival/departure and after another set of negotiations, they have agreed that they will have 3 slots for arrival/departure.
lsquare likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 25, 21, 8:34 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,517
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I had been about to move over some Marriott points to book some August flights to/from YVR, when the J award space just disappeared yesterday. That's not a great sign IMO, but of course it could be meaningless.

The new Canadian rules about hotel quarantine are completely about dis-incentivising Canadians from travelling internationally. (borders are of course shut to foreigners already) I can't really see that changing until a significant % of the population is vaccinated, and that's not going to happen by May and probably not before the summer. Simply not the time to be launching a new route...

But longer term there still may be a market for South Asia <--> Western Canada that isn't really well served by anybody.
It seems like the UK is doing better than North America right now. Both Canada and the US are not vaccinating their population fast enough. I really doubt international travel will start going back to normal until Q4 2021 at the earliest now.

AC flies to South Asia, but it's pretty expensive and that's probably due to a lack of competition.
lsquare is offline  
Old Feb 25, 21, 8:36 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,517
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
YVR is slot limited because the Canadian government wants to protect Air Canada. That's why none of the ME3 is able to fly to Vancouver. TK would have strategic importance carrying the Central Asian population from/to their native country. There is a hugeYVR <-> Central Asia market and TK is now part of it.

Also, someone in airliners.net was mentioning that Turkish had spent a lot of effort getting those slots. Initially, the Canadian government rejected TK's slot request, then they provided 2 slots for arrival/departure and after another set of negotiations, they have agreed that they will have 3 slots for arrival/departure.
Oh really? I had no idea that is the case.
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 11:06 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Gold
Posts: 59
Looks like it's happening

https://biv.com/article/2021/04/turk...-flights-may-2
mentions that the route will start May 2nd. Curious to see how things go.
toonomadic is offline  
Old Apr 29, 21, 8:26 am
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,623
Looks like they are serious about it:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...-to-vancouver/
toonomadic likes this.
hfly is offline  
Old Apr 29, 21, 10:31 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,360
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
Looks like they are serious about it:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...-to-vancouver/
Yep got an email about it, so it's definitely serious.
toonomadic likes this.
nacho is offline  
Old Apr 29, 21, 11:53 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 659
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Yep got an email about it, so it's definitely serious.
Starting May 2 per emails, return fares between IST and YVR are over 35% more when originating from YVR vs IST in J, can get lower fares on LH. YVR gets very little competition compared to most other NA gateways.
tobegold is offline  
Old Apr 29, 21, 1:42 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,360
Originally Posted by tobegold View Post
Starting May 2 per emails, return fares between IST and YVR are over 35% more when originating from YVR vs IST in J, can get lower fares on LH. YVR gets very little competition compared to most other NA gateways.
Would people who live in Vancouver fly into SEA instead? SEA is not a particularly big airport though.
nacho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: