Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Miles&Smiles Permanently Stopping Printing Physical Cards

Old Sep 29, 20, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards

So, an era has come to an end as Miles&Smiles had decided to stop printing Miles&Smiles cards to adapt to the digital era.

The news was sent to members by e-mail today.

Screenshot of mail in Turkish:

So, this means that

- The TK Miles&Smiles card print desk at IST would close.
- Lounge access on other *A carriers for *G members could be painful and we might see more denials at lounges as sometimes they want to see the physical card ( Example: Air Canada not accepting digital cards )
- No more baggage tags as well
- Fewer people would be able to cross-benefit from two different FFPs perks.
raporot likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 11:46 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
We just got our physical cards recently without any mentioning that the card is the last card that we will ever receive.
Old Sep 29, 20, 2:11 pm

No cards, no food, no beverages, no carry-on.
Like a bus.
Price - same as before.
New (low cost) long-haul era is coming...
Logical.
Old Sep 29, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Tk constantly follow the way to reduce every day more costs!

Currently it would be no big lost if they decide to stop international flights!
raporot likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Great news. Less useless plastic.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 3:28 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
In general I would agree with your view but it's not everywhere that they accept digital cards. I had issues at *A AMS lounge - they demand to see the physical cards even though I have my TK G on my boarding pass. I didn't have my cards at that time and I told them that TK didn't make them so they accepted the digital cards after some struggle.
raporot likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
In general I would agree with your view but it's not everywhere that they accept digital cards. I had issues at *A AMS lounge - they demand to see the physical cards even though I have my TK G on my boarding pass. I didn't have my cards at that time and I told them that TK didn't make them so they accepted the digital cards after some struggle.
Same, it was March 2020 ( just before flights have stopped ), where I was asked the physical card at different *A lounges even when my boarding pass had TK*G
nacho and raporot like this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 4:40 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Just follow the BA method, stop proactively sending them out but anyone who requests them may receive one. For Classic and C+ members I can understand cutting the cards since they are rarely needed.
ISTFlyer, DaveS, raporot and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 3:14 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
My card expires June 2022, so still plenty of time for this policy to change a few times before then.
Old Sep 30, 20, 3:39 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Than I was a lucky one - last year I got a black E+ card without any expiry date

I do not recall when was the last time I was required to show a card. Some 2 weeks ago they had issues with reading the barcode on my LO OLCI B/Pass in SOF, so I even wanted to show her a card, but she just typed the FF number shown on the B/Pass.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 11:08 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Out of the blue I received a new TK Elite card by post yesterday with the new extended expiry date
Romanianflyer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Out of the blue I received a new TK Elite card by post yesterday with the new extended expiry date
So could this be interpreted as them getting rid of their existing stock of plastic and/or still being under contract with the agency that prints the cards?
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Exactly, totally with you here. Any Star Alliance lounge I have visited around the world so far, I was never asked for the physical card.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by fil_87 View Post
Exactly, totally with you here. Any Star Alliance lounge I have visited around the world so far, I was never asked for the physical card.
LH/LX FRA,MUC, ZRH, AV at MIA plus a handful of Star Alliance contract lounges have asked for it.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: TK elite+ = *gold, MarriWood Titanium + Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
LH/LX FRA,MUC, ZRH, AV at MIA plus a handful of Star Alliance contract lounges have asked for it.
I am based in Germany and until March I did fly LX a lot - in TXL and ZRH I was never asked for the card (about 40 times in the last two years, I also credited the miles to TK so my status was on the digital boarding pass, reflected as "TK*G"). In DUS I was asked a few times until 2 years ago, but they seemed to also have switched to "status on boarding pass = enough" the last times. During the last 5 years, flying more than 10 different *A carriers worldwide I can't remember ever being asked for the physical card except in DUS.
All flights have been in C and credited to TK = showing *G in the booking / on the boarding pass.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: