FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Miles&Smiles Permanently Stopping Printing Physical Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2025961-miles-smiles-permanently-stopping-printing-physical-cards.html)

ISTFlyer Sep 29, 2020 7:31 am

Miles&Smiles Permanently Stopping Printing Physical Cards

So, an era has come to an end as Miles&Smiles had decided to stop printing Miles&Smiles cards to adapt to the digital era.

The news was sent to members by e-mail today.

Screenshot of mail in Turkish:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...73b6aefd34.png

So, this means that

- The TK Miles&Smiles card print desk at IST would close.
- Lounge access on other *A carriers for *G members could be painful and we might see more denials at lounges as sometimes they want to see the physical card ( Example: Air Canada not accepting digital cards )
- No more baggage tags as well
- Fewer people would be able to cross-benefit from two different FFPs perks.

nacho Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am

We just got our physical cards recently without any mentioning that the card is the last card that we will ever receive.

raporot Sep 29, 2020 1:11 pm

No cards, no food, no beverages, no carry-on.
Like a bus.
Price - same as before.
New (low cost) long-haul era is coming...
Logical.

fvn1312 Sep 29, 2020 1:15 pm

Tk constantly follow the way to reduce every day more costs!

Currently it would be no big lost if they decide to stop international flights!

LondonElite Sep 29, 2020 1:17 pm

Great news. Less useless plastic.

nacho Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32709398)

In general I would agree with your view but it's not everywhere that they accept digital cards. I had issues at *A AMS lounge - they demand to see the physical cards even though I have my TK G on my boarding pass. I didn't have my cards at that time and I told them that TK didn't make them so they accepted the digital cards after some struggle.

ISTFlyer Sep 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 32709583)
In general I would agree with your view but it's not everywhere that they accept digital cards. I had issues at *A AMS lounge - they demand to see the physical cards even though I have my TK G on my boarding pass. I didn't have my cards at that time and I told them that TK didn't make them so they accepted the digital cards after some struggle.

Same, it was March 2020 ( just before flights have stopped ), where I was asked the physical card at different *A lounges even when my boarding pass had TK*G

miamiflyer8 Sep 29, 2020 3:40 pm

Just follow the BA method, stop proactively sending them out but anyone who requests them may receive one. For Classic and C+ members I can understand cutting the cards since they are rarely needed.

DaveS Sep 30, 2020 2:14 am

My card expires June 2022, so still plenty of time for this policy to change a few times before then.

TPJ Sep 30, 2020 2:39 am

Than I was a lucky one - last year I got a black E+ card without any expiry date ;)

I do not recall when was the last time I was required to show a card. Some 2 weeks ago they had issues with reading the barcode on my LO OLCI B/Pass in SOF, so I even wanted to show her a card, but she just typed the FF number shown on the B/Pass.

SK AAR Sep 30, 2020 10:08 am

Out of the blue I received a new TK Elite card by post yesterday with the new extended expiry date :rolleyes:

miamiflyer8 Sep 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 32711736)
Out of the blue I received a new TK Elite card by post yesterday with the new extended expiry date :rolleyes:

So could this be interpreted as them getting rid of their existing stock of plastic and/or still being under contract with the agency that prints the cards?

fil_87 Oct 1, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32709398)

Exactly, totally with you here. Any Star Alliance lounge I have visited around the world so far, I was never asked for the physical card.

miamiflyer8 Oct 1, 2020 11:08 am

Originally Posted by fil_87 (Post 32714401)
Exactly, totally with you here. Any Star Alliance lounge I have visited around the world so far, I was never asked for the physical card.

LH/LX FRA,MUC, ZRH, AV at MIA plus a handful of Star Alliance contract lounges have asked for it.

zap7 Oct 1, 2020 11:19 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 32714412)
LH/LX FRA,MUC, ZRH, AV at MIA plus a handful of Star Alliance contract lounges have asked for it.

I am based in Germany and until March I did fly LX a lot - in TXL and ZRH I was never asked for the card (about 40 times in the last two years, I also credited the miles to TK so my status was on the digital boarding pass, reflected as "TK*G"). In DUS I was asked a few times until 2 years ago, but they seemed to also have switched to "status on boarding pass = enough" the last times. During the last 5 years, flying more than 10 different *A carriers worldwide I can't remember ever being asked for the physical card except in DUS.
All flights have been in C and credited to TK = showing *G in the booking / on the boarding pass.