Refund/rebooking for cancelled flights

Old Sep 29, 20, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Refund/rebooking for cancelled flights

Hi, could use some advice here - never flown TK before, so don't know what the best way forward is.

Booked 2 x LON>IST>ECN flights for next week - approx 500 for 2. It's essential that I reach ECN next week - I realise I will have to go into quarantine on arrival.

I then got a schedule change notification to say that both of the flights between IST and ECN were cancelled and they had rebooked me onto alternatives. This meant a long layover in IST, so I called up to see if I could adjust the LON/IST flights to be more reasonable. The person on the phone didn't speak great English, but he seemed to imply that the ticket had already been cancelled, which shocked me. I explained my preferred revised itinerary. He said he would sort it out and call me back. He never did. I called this morning to find out that the schedule has been completely mangled and my reservation on the IST>ECN flight was cancelled. Worse still, the flight is now "sold out" in Economy, so the person on the phone today said he couldn't do anything to fix it.

Checking online, there were still flights available in Economy, but only in the expensive fare bucket.

As it's essential I get there next week, I've booked 2 new tickets, business class outbound, 1000 for the new flights. That's bad enough, and I'm furious about that. But I couldn't afford for the flight to completely sell out while I spent [x] days arguing the toss with TK.

But TK are also refusing to refund 500 on my original booking, even though they cancelled the flights, because the "ticket has been re-issued"

It was their cancellation in the first place which triggered it, then their mistake in screwing up the booking.

They couldn't/wouldn't do anything over the phone, and have suggested I fill in a "feedback form", which I have done. Is there anything further I can do?
Old Sep 29, 20, 6:36 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
Hi, could use some advice here - never flown TK before, so don't know what the best way forward is.

Booked 2 x LON>IST>ECN flights for next week - approx 500 for 2. It's essential that I reach ECN next week - I realise I will have to go into quarantine on arrival.

I then got a schedule change notification to say that both of the flights between IST and ECN were cancelled and they had rebooked me onto alternatives. This meant a long layover in IST, so I called up to see if I could adjust the LON/IST flights to be more reasonable. The person on the phone didn't speak great English, but he seemed to imply that the ticket had already been cancelled, which shocked me. I explained my preferred revised itinerary. He said he would sort it out and call me back. He never did. I called this morning to find out that the schedule has been completely mangled and my reservation on the IST>ECN flight was cancelled. Worse still, the flight is now "sold out" in Economy, so the person on the phone today said he couldn't do anything to fix it.

Checking online, there were still flights available in Economy, but only in the expensive fare bucket.

As it's essential I get there next week, I've booked 2 new tickets, business class outbound, 1000 for the new flights. That's bad enough, and I'm furious about that. But I couldn't afford for the flight to completely sell out while I spent [x] days arguing the toss with TK.

But TK are also refusing to refund 500 on my original booking, even though they cancelled the flights, because the "ticket has been re-issued"

It was their cancellation in the first place which triggered it, then their mistake in screwing up the booking.

They couldn't/wouldn't do anything over the phone, and have suggested I fill in a "feedback form", which I have done. Is there anything further I can do?
Did you accept any changes on the first ticket? Without your discretion, TK is not allowed to re-issue a ticket whenever a flight is cancelled or delayed for more than 15 minutes. If the ticket is re-issued by the hotline agent by mistake; it would take a long process for you to get a refund ( you would need to fill out the feedback form multiple times so that your phone call would be investigated ).

Also, the best way to get feedback from TK is to fill out the feedback form, but you might need to fill out the form multiple times as most likely you would get an automated response in the first time.

Plus, I assume that you have purchased the tickets directly from TK.
raporot likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Did you accept any changes on the first ticket? Without your discretion, TK is not allowed to re-issue a ticket whenever a flight is cancelled or delayed for more than 15 minutes. If the ticket is re-issued by the hotline agent by mistake; it would take a long process for you to get a refund ( you would need to fill out the feedback form multiple times so that your phone call would be investigated ).

Also, the best way to get feedback from TK is to fill out the feedback form, but you might need to fill out the form multiple times as most likely you would get an automated response in the first time.

Plus, I assume that you have purchased the tickets directly from TK.
Thanks for the tips.

I asked for the ticket to be re-issued with adjusted LON/IST legs, but the agent didn't re-issue it as per my request (or even close), and left the booking in a completely screwed up state. The outbound is now just LGW/IST only - and the return is only ECN/IST - it's not even a complete round-trip. The key leg that he removed me from, was one leg that wasn't supposed to change anyway . I suspect he started by cancelling all the legs, then tried to rebook from scratch, only to realise he couldn't rebook the IST/ECN legs, as the inventory for those flights wasn't released back.

Sounds like I have quite a battle ahead to get a refund on that ticket

No response to the feedback form yet
Old Sep 29, 20, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If TK cancelled your original flight and you did not accept a reroute, you are entitled to a full refund under Section 8 of EC 261/2004 (non-EU carrier, departing the EU, which the UK still is for purposes of the Regulation and under UK domestic law). If TK has refused a refund and you paid with a credit card issued by a UK bank, this is an easy chargeback. Presuming that your reroute is at least partially on TK, do nothing until you have arrived. Then file a chargeback. Do it in writing (online is fine) and include with it: 1) a copy of your original e-ticket receipt; 2) the notice of cancellation or other evidence that the flight was cancelled by TK. 3) your request for a refund; and 4) TK's response. Make clear in your narrative that you did not accept a reroute of any kind. Be complete, stick to the relevant facts, and submit in an easy-to-understand way.

In general, if you reach someone who is self-evidently not understanding your situation or going down the wrong track, simply end the call politely and then call back. Keep trying until you reach someone who at least appears competent. Language barriers can be hard, but if you don't speak the carrier's language hopefully you know someone who does and whom you can do a three-way call with so that they can do the talking.
zen100 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 7:38 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If TK cancelled your original flight and you did not accept a reroute, you are entitled to a full refund under Section 8 of EC 261/2004 (non-EU carrier, departing the EU, which the UK still is for purposes of the Regulation and under UK domestic law). If TK has refused a refund and you paid with a credit card issued by a UK bank, this is an easy chargeback. Presuming that your reroute is at least partially on TK, do nothing until you have arrived. Then file a chargeback. Do it in writing (online is fine) and include with it: 1) a copy of your original e-ticket receipt; 2) the notice of cancellation or other evidence that the flight was cancelled by TK. 3) your request for a refund; and 4) TK's response. Make clear in your narrative that you did not accept a reroute of any kind. Be complete, stick to the relevant facts, and submit in an easy-to-understand way.

In general, if you reach someone who is self-evidently not understanding your situation or going down the wrong track, simply end the call politely and then call back. Keep trying until you reach someone who at least appears competent. Language barriers can be hard, but if you don't speak the carrier's language hopefully you know someone who does and whom you can do a three-way call with so that they can do the talking.
From both of the posts from the OP, I guess this looks like an agent fault rather than TK denying a change.

Plus TK contracts third party companies for the operation of their hotline, so the agents over there would not able to deal with this. Regardless of how many times the OP calls, unless he is connected to an agent at the IST HQ's ( very rare chance ), the agents would repeat the fact to fill out a feedback form.
zen100 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 8:22 am
Original Poster

From both of the posts from the OP, I guess this looks like an agent fault rather than TK denying a change.

Plus TK contracts third party companies for the operation of their hotline, so the agents over there would not able to deal with this. Regardless of how many times the OP calls, unless he is connected to an agent at the IST HQ's ( very rare chance ), the agents would repeat the fact to fill out a feedback form.
I was on the phone for an hour last night, explaining the revised LON/IST that I wanted. Eventually the agent said he "had a problem with his system", so would process the change and call me back. He never called me back, and didn't give me *any* of the legs I had actually requested, not one of them - and removed me from the leg that really mattered, and didn't need to change. The revised itinerary makes no sense. The outbound stops at IST, and the return starts from ECN and also stops at IST.

Another quandary - should I let original booking expire as a "no show" and battle for a refund, or take an open voucher, which I can presumably still do. First flight is next Weds, so have a bit of time to decide. I might need to make another trip, but won't know for another month.
Old Sep 29, 20, 8:36 am

I was on the phone for an hour last night, explaining the revised LON/IST that I wanted. Eventually the agent said he "had a problem with his system", so would process the change and call me back. He never called me back, and didn't give me *any* of the legs I had actually requested, not one of them - and removed me from the leg that really mattered, and didn't need to change. The revised itinerary makes no sense. The outbound stops at IST, and the return starts from ECN and also stops at IST.

Another quandary - should I let original booking expire as a "no show" and battle for a refund, or take an open voucher, which I can presumably still do. First flight is next Weds, so have a bit of time to decide. I might need to make another trip, but won't know for another month.
If you take an open ticket, you would technically lose your rights for a refund so IMO, it's better not to touch the ticket until next Monday. There are 3 business days until next week where TK could respond to your feedback.

If you are 100% percent sure that you would travel until 31 December 2021, taking the voucher would probably save you energy as dealing with TK could be painful and tiring.
Old Sep 29, 20, 11:16 am
Original Poster

The flight is now sold out in Business Class as well, so while I'm still furious with TK , glad I took the buy first, argue later approach, given I have to get out there
Old Sep 29, 20, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Not worth a second more of OP's time.

He says that he has booked new tickets. All he needs is a refund of the original tickets. He is entitled to that. If TK won't refund, his card issuer will handle it through the chargeback system which puts the shoe on TK's foot.

Regarding language barriers, I can't speak to the language fluency of the agent with whom OP spoke, but it is reasonable that the agent is fluent in Turkish. I would advise rounding up a friend or colleague who does speak Turkish. Competent or not, if one can at least get to a common language, even if the agent is not a native-speaker, one tends to do better. But, that is for the future.
Old Oct 5, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Skywards silver Virgin Enrich Flying Blue Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
TK emailed at the weekend to say my MRU-IST flight for December was now 10 mins later and asked me what I wished to do.
I held on, and today they emailed to say the Mauriitus legs of all my flights for December were cancelled, which I had been expecting and was pleased with as Mauritius has only been allowing EK and MK flights into the country since October after a partial border reopening, plus everyone had to book a hotel on the government MTPA online site to quarantine at their own cost. Effectively confined to a hotel room for 14 nights even with negative PCR tests with rubbish food and no service whatsoever.
What with the downgrading of TK's J class services I was happy to reschedule for a second time to next year without charge.
Pleased with the UK call centre operator who issued new e-tickets immediately.
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up. TK (eventually) responded to my feedback form and have conceded that the call agent did not meet the service standards. Not quite admitting it was their fault, but close enough.

They have offered to rebook me on a future flight, but I travelled anyway, by buying a second (more expensive) ticket.

So I'll push for a refund, which I am more confident that I will (eventually) get.

Thanks for the advice all
Old Oct 25, 20, 7:44 am

Thank you zen100 for reporting back,

It seems that instead of dealing with TK ticketing agents at the airport, for the peace of mind, you decided to purchase a new ticket.
As the old ticket wasn't re-issued as the way you did, you should be able to get your refund about 5-10 business days after you have requested for it.
Old Oct 25, 20, 8:02 am
Original Poster

It seems that instead of dealing with TK ticketing agents at the airport, for the peace of mind, you decided to purchase a new ticket.
That was a separate, but related issue. As soon as the ticket agent screwed up the original ticket, I immediately purchased a new (much more expensive) ticket as the flights to ECN were selling out very fast. Good job I did as well.

Then - once all the flights to ECN sold out for that whole week, I wanted to guard against a missed connection, as TK might not be able to get me on the next flight. We were able to get on the earlier LHR>IST flight in the end, as some availability opened up at the last minute, which meant a change was possible.

The correct thing for TK to do, would be to refund the 2nd (more expensive) ticket, as I wouldn't have needed to buy it, if they hadn't screwed up the first ticket. But it's probably going to be easier to get a refund on the original ticket.
Old Oct 25, 20, 8:06 am

The correct thing for TK to do, would be to refund the 2nd (more expensive) ticket, as I wouldn't have needed to buy it, if they hadn't screwed up the first ticket. But it's probably going to be easier to get a refund on the original ticket.
Unfortunately, you would only get the refund on the original ticket that the TK hotline agent screwed up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: