Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Rant Re: Turkish Airline Business Class Service During Corona

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Currently on a Turkish airline international flight. Here are my rants:

1. No amenity kit due to COVID. This is just plain ridiculous. I've flown on BA, Emirates during COVID and both offered amenity kits to business class passengers. Ok, Turkish, I understand if you want to save costs while using COVID as an excuse, but provide individually wrapped toothbrushes then. Or at least let passengers know this in advance so that they can adequately prepare before the flight.

2. No carry ons due to COVID. You do realize that my carry-on will also have the same potential contamination as the clothes I'm wearing, right?

3. Boxed meals that aren't even trying to be "premium." The tuna sandwich in the boxed picnic box was disgusting. The bread roll in the box was inedible -- why not provide pita bread instead to fit the Turkish cuisine image? Also, take off that damn picture on the monitors advertising what meals used to be like prior to COVID and reminding me that I can pick my own meal. That's just adding insult to injury.

4. No snacks during flight. Lolwut? How does COVID prevent you from providing prepackaged snacks and chips?

This used to be an amazing airline with great service. Now it's just sad.
raporot, vincewy, DaveS and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:46 am
Original Poster

But on the bright side, my bags made it to
Bodrum on a short transit connection (55 mins
because the international flight was delayed).

I love Turkish airlines!

Originally Posted by jmraz73

1. No amenity kit due to COVID. This is just plain ridiculous. I've flown on BA, Emirates during COVID and both offered amenity kits to business class passengers. Ok, Turkish, I understand if you want to save costs while using COVID as an excuse, but provide individually wrapped toothbrushes then. Or at least let passengers know this in advance so that they can adequately prepare before the flight.

2. No carry ons due to COVID. You do realize that my carry-on will also have the same potential contamination as the clothes I'm wearing, right?

3. Boxed meals that aren't even trying to be "premium." The tuna sandwich in the boxed picnic box was disgusting. The bread roll in the box was inedible -- why not provide pita bread instead to fit the Turkish cuisine image? Also, take off that damn picture on the monitors advertising what meals used to be like prior to COVID and reminding me that I can pick my own meal. That's just adding insult to injury.

4. No snacks during flight. Lolwut? How does COVID prevent you from providing prepackaged snacks and chips?

Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jmraz73

Number 2 is out of Turkish Airlines' control. It's the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate law that forbids carry-ons into the cabin on all flights to/from Turkey. However, with some pressure on the directorate, TK should be able to fix this, but I guess they are happy to weigh carry-ons and treat it as standard checked baggage if over 8 kgs.

For the other bullet points, I wouldn't comment, however, I could tell that the keeping IFE screen advertisement + the billboard advertisements in Istanbul showing the pre-COVID Business Class catering is not a nice move.
asnovici, raporot and DaveS like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
I believe the only reason they are keeping the Billboards with the Food info is because they will bring them back soon....
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
I believe the only reason they are keeping the Billboards with the Food info is because they will bring them back soon....
I hope they do and the rumor in airliners.net is true.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I would be pleasantly surprised. But not counting on it anytime soon. Expectations of TK Business have become atrocious.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
This has been going on since last June. So what you have experienced is hardly surprising. When did you book your Business Class trip?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST, are you sure that the carry-on thing is for all airlines? I ask because I have flown several other airlines in and out of Turkey during Covid, and NONE have this policy in/out of Turkey (or at least not for me!).
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
IST, are you sure that the carry-on thing is for all airlines? I ask because I have flown several other airlines in and out of Turkey during Covid, and NONE have this policy in/out of Turkey (or at least not for me!).
I am pretty sure. At Doha, on multiple QR flights that I took after this regulation was implemented, it was strictly enforced and 1-2 additional gate agents were assigned for this purpose. Their job was to check the gate seating area and gate check the larger carry-ons.
There are also numerous reports on the BA board that passengers traveling to Turkey were forced to check their carry-ons.
It was also enforced on Pegasus domestic flights that I took this summer.

However, on one of my IST-DOH flights, one of the QR ground staff ( not outsourced Havaş agents; one of the superior agents employed by QR ) told me that if passengers made to the gate with a carry-on, they would not care about the regulation and allow it onboard.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pegasus does not surprise me as they are a Turkish carrier. I have not flown BA out of IST since March, so also cannot comment, but I CAN comment on several others such QR, AF, KL, and LH where I have not been subject to such limitations..........I should note that in each and every case I have done on-line check-in and just shown up at the gate. Actually now that I think about it, on two of my flights from IST they were checking in a lot of carry-ons at the gate, but in one case I was flying Biz and was not asked and in the other, one agent read my status and another said "Tamam" so maybe that is what got me out of it.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:08 am
Suspended

Regarding #2 . Can you bring a small backpack onboard?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Regarding #2 . Can you bring a small backpack onboard?
No issues on a backpack that could fit under the seat.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Otherwise I will not be back soon....

I had to fly LX out of Bangkok and am 100% satistfied, TK is no longer my first choice, maybe rather the last?
My elite status got extende to April 2022, we will see what 2021 brings....
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:07 pm

On a JFK-IST right now and just got an amenity kit. I didn't on the August flight. Will be interesting to see if there's any adjustments to food. Maybe coffee at least??
jphy likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by noahsilv
On a JFK-IST right now and just got an amenity kit. I didn't on the August flight. Will be interesting to see if there's any adjustments to food. Maybe coffee at least??
Was the no carry-on rule enforced? I'm scheduled to fly SFO-ORD-IST-BJV on Thursday. Wondering if I can carry on SFO-ORD and check with TK in O'Hare. Reduces the chances of United losing my bag. And O'Hare has stopped the inter-terminal shuttle, so I have to walk outside, take that bus to T5 and recheck with Turkish anyway.

Will report back on the amenity kit and any other changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.