Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
This thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Covid PCR Test at IST Airport

Old May 20, 2021, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's nice. Those of us who have had to travel over the last year plus did not have the nicety of such tests, nor do people that have to travel to 99% or the World's destination's today. You do know that outside of the United States there is not a Walgreen's or whatever on every corner, nor are such other niceties and much of the World does not have an abundance of vaccine's available as the US does.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
That's nice. Those of us who have had to travel over the last year plus did not have the nicety of such tests, nor do people that have to travel to 99% or the World's destination's today. You do know that outside of the United States there is not a Walgreen's or whatever on every corner, nor are such other niceties and much of the World does not have an abundance of vaccine's available as the US does.
The person asking this question needs to test to return to the US, so my comment was to them.

Since this is the second undeserved rude comment from you, I hope you find happiness soon.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
The person asking this question needs to test to return to the US, so my comment was to them.

Since this is the second undeserved rude comment from you, I hope you find happiness soon.
Maybe sending a likeness of yourself would help.

Old May 30, 2021, 7:16 am

Does transiting in the UK require PCR or would they accept the antigen test? I will be continuing on to the US.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Sizook
Does transiting in the UK require PCR or would they accept the antigen test? I will be continuing on to the US.
Assuming that you are heading from Turkey, unless you are an UK citizen and Turkey is still on the red list of the UK, you wouldn't be able to board a flight from Turkey to the UK.
However, if Turkey is on the green or amber list of UK, an antigen test would be accepted, however, the rapid do-at-home Abbott COVID test might not be accepted. If you're going to take an antigen test, do take it at a lab.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Assuming that you are heading from Turkey, unless you are an UK citizen and Turkey is still on the red list of the UK, you wouldn't be able to board a flight from Turkey to the UK.
However, if Turkey is on the green or amber list of UK, an antigen test would be accepted, however, the rapid do-at-home Abbott COVID test might not be accepted. If you're going to take an antigen test, do take it at a lab.
Ok, thank you. So an antigen test in IST would suffice for my IST-ORD-ORD, once flights open up again. Hoping end of July. Results are faster and would not require me to be at the airport 6 hours early! And less painful!
Old May 30, 2021, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Sizook
Ok, thank you. So an antigen test in IST would suffice for my IST-ORD-ORD, once flights open up again. Hoping end of July. Results are faster and would not require me to be at the airport 6 hours early! And less painful!
Exactly, an antigen test performed by a lab would be sufficient to fly IST-LHR-ORD as today.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 4:33 pm

Just back from Turkey. . I can post some better photographs later of the testing facility / process

When I first checked out the facility after a domestic flight on June 4, they saw my plan and said come back the day off - June 6. Was a little miffed as I wanted to get it over with and I knew I was within the 72 hours (Or 3 calendar days). I tried getting it anyway, but they were having none of that. At least at the BIOTEST window. THere are 2 other companies, but I didn't try.

But I did learn about the quick turnaround times. It was posted as such.

PCR tests - 1.5 hours to process - 300 TL - $35 USD
Antigen - 20 minutes - 175 TL - ~$20 USD

So I got to the airport a little earlier on June 6 and took the Antigen. They were either confused as to whether USA would accept Antigen, whether Doha required a PCR test, and / or trying to upsell me on the PCR...but I insisted on the Antigen. You think they would know with the volume of folks they get....

Did the mouth and nose swab. Nose was a quick poke, not too deep...though it took an hour or so for the feeling to go away. Mouth swab was a bit annoying. I did not ask about a blood test option. I just went with the flow.

Of course I passed as I am now back in the USA. I got a print out which I showed to the Qatar Airways rep - who also made me sign a CDC affirmation that I got a test. Never showed that to anyone in the USA. What bureacracy B/S

All in all...pretty painless. Though if travel volume picks up / when it does, one might have to wait longer to register and the test result itself.

A lot cheaper and easier than the PCR saliva test I got to go to turkey which cost me $105 + $60 24-hour turnaround. (Which in hindsight I would not pay the $60 rush fee. First time "i got suckered" charge.) Plus I had to go to a specific lab which required a drive into Seattle area.

While the US now accepts "telehealth" tests....if you are returning from Turkey (via Istanbul....supposedly other airports have a decent setup - but I can't speak to those), don't bother with that hassle. Other countries YMMV.

EDIT: The 20 minutes passed fast. As I walked down the airport to an airport Burger King for a meal. Yes, I had a US fast food craving after 2+ weeks of not eating any US brand chain restaurants (Except a brief stop to get a decaf coffee / cookie at a Starbucks near Cesme. I resisted Starbucks, BK and McD @ a Sanliurfa mall).
DaveS likes this.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Jun 8, 2021 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:50 am

As noted, here are some recent photos from just a few days ago. 1st photo is looking at test registration / result booths with rest of arrivals hall in background. You DO NOT need a smartphone. Or a mobile at all. They will give you a printout. Helps to have a printed copy of your itinerary, though I reckon you could show that on your phone.

Current test time and cost

You can walk down the hall to a Burger King or a little further to Simit Sarayi (Turkish chain) for a bit while you wait for your results.

You have to walk to the very end.

Looking in the other direction. Arrivals board to left. Depending on where you are, it could be a long walk!

2 test companies pictured here

Test booths. Only 2 were open when I was there. But they are prepared for more it looks like.
Andriyko, vincewy, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:59 am

Extra random question that maybe someone can ask next time is....HOW MANY PCR CYCLES do they use? SInce I was using antigen, I think that is not relevant.

If you don't know about PCR Cycles and the casedemic...that's something you can learn about!

The nurse who took my C19 test in the Seattle area had no idea what I was talking about.

on a side note -- why are US airports so slow and expensive with results and Istanbul so fast & inexpensive? Reading about fast turnaround at Mexico airports....may have to encounter that later this year.

EDIT: Here's a link to see a terminal map. CLick on the bottom Arrivals terminal floor.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...terminal-maps/
DaveS likes this.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Jun 9, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold
Is there any updates about potential RAT or PCR tests performed airside? It would really help me a lot on a trip happening soon.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toonomadic
Is there any updates about potential RAT or PCR tests performed airside? It would really help me a lot on a trip happening soon.
Unfortunately, there isn't any test center airside.
toonomadic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If RAT stands for the antigen test, then it might be possible to do that airside. Here's my experience last month: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33255166-post19.html

OTOH, on another forum, a fellow Finnish traveller wrote he was denied testing, so I guess it really depends on who you talk to...
toonomadic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold
Thanks for the reference - I wish it were more certain. An antigen test costs like crazy where I'm departing from but the destination has its national day when I arrive so airport testing services aren't available.

I wish there were more details about this counter - do you know what's the original purpose of the counter for by the way, if it's not for transit passengers?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reference - I wish it were more certain. An antigen test costs like crazy where I'm departing from but the destination has its national day when I arrive so airport testing services aren't available.

I wish there were more details about this counter - do you know what's the original purpose of the counter for by the way, if it's not for transit passengers?
This counter was originally instated for people who suffered from IRROPS and would need a test result to enter Turkey.

Although there are success reports of antigen tests taken; this test center was never advertised and was never indicated as open to the public.
EqualOpp and toonomadic like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.