Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK Catering back to normal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by azj
Fully accepting the downgrade in catering, I still booked TK business class to IST for the convenience of a nonstop flight and not having to worry about transit hassles through Europe. Question... is the meal box still dine on demand? Since it appears only 2 food boxes are served, spacing out the consumption of these meager offerings will be important for an extra long flight to/from SFO. I'll plan to eat a full meal prior to boarding the dinner time departure to IST and conversely at the lounge in IST prior to departure to the States.

As for lounge access in SFO... since the Polaris lounge is closed, is the only alternative the United Club in T3?
If I'm not wrong the service is not dine-on-demand; one meal would be served after takeoff and the other one before arrival. However, there were reports here in FlyerTalk that some people had the same snack boxes midflight when asking for snacks through the call button.

And yes, the lounge for you in SFO would be the United Club in T3 so don't rely on the food there. Make good research about airport vendors at SFO as the majority of them may be closed.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:58 am
azj

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If I'm not wrong the service is not dine-on-demand; one meal would be served after takeoff and the other one before arrival. However, there were reports here in FlyerTalk that some people had the same snack boxes midflight when asking for snacks through the call button.

And yes, the lounge for you in SFO would be the United Club in T3 so don't rely on the food there. Make good research about airport vendors at SFO as the majority of them may be closed.
Thanks so much. A little planning will go a long way as well as keeping expectations in check. I would love to experience the TK dining once again, but it's not meant to be this time.
raporot and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Every day I come here in faint hopes we would have an update that Business catering is coming back to normal anytime soon. Nothing. Depressing. Hopeless.
TPJ, hugolover, Askin001 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Originally Posted by asnovici
Every day I come here in faint hopes we would have an update that Business catering is coming back to normal anytime soon. Nothing. Depressing. Hopeless.
I was lucky (?) enough that my TK flights were recently cancelled. They gave me the option of rebooking but decided for a refund and rebooked with other airlines that are offering full service. When TK goes back to normal I will consider them again.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:57 am

Emirates to resume regular business class service as of 15.10

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-...0-bar-showers/

Will this be some kind of incentive for TK to finally resume a decent service level?

Last edited by fil_87; Oct 13, 2020 at 6:04 am
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fil_87
Emirates to resume regular business class service as of 15.10

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-...0-bar-showers/

Will this be some kind of incentive for TK to finally resume a decent service level?
Probably not, I would not keep my hopes high.
Even though there is a significant portion of travelers traveling on award tickets, TK's premium-cabin tends to be close to fully booked at this point for many routes.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:31 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Even though there is a significant portion of travelers traveling on award tickets, TK's premium-cabin tends to be close to fully booked at this point for many routes.
Plus EK and EY lost a lot of transit traffic because of the negative COVID test results comedy (Emirates COVID test and other questions). Only recently these requirements was lifted (but not for all cases). IMHO in the meantime airlines like TK, QR, LH gained some traffic at the expense of EK/EY. So now EK needs to try harder to get the traffic back.
raporot and ISTFlyer like this.

Last edited by TPJ; Oct 14, 2020 at 4:40 am Reason: gramar
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
And that's a reflection of the very limited opportunities available to people who need to get to (wherever).

If the journey can be achieved in a safe, simple, convenient way at a reasonable cost then travellers are going to take it up. And if they take up the business-class option, then these days that's likely to be a decision driven out of consideration of factors well beyond the quality of inflight catering.

These days, if I'm flying through the night asleep on a bed, well separated from other passengers, I can take the indignity of being offered a picnic rather than the usual meal-theatre.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:33 pm

Having flown between the US and Turkey twice, I can chip in. We didn’t pay cash for the flights, but we didn’t also really care about anything beyond flying safe, which included arriving at our destination with as soon as possible and being further away from other passengers. Mask enforcement is not great, and we didn’t want to be sitting next to strangers for 11 hours. So, we’ve booked J-cabin direct flights with TK. IMO, flights with transfers are much attractive at the moment
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
Having flown between the US and Turkey twice, I can chip in. We didn’t pay cash for the flights, but we didn’t also really care about anything beyond flying safe, which included arriving at our destination with as soon as possible and being further away from other passengers. Mask enforcement is not great, and we didn’t want to be sitting next to strangers for 11 hours. So, we’ve booked J-cabin direct flights with TK. IMO, flights with transfers are much attractive at the moment
The problem on that route is that unless the passenger holds a US passport, has a Green Card, or qualifies for the exceptions; passengers are not allowed to transit via Europe on the way to the USA. For example, a Turkish citizen with a short-term visa flying Istanbul to Chicago could not fly via Frankfurt as the USA does not allow short-term visa holders on flights from Germany, etc... so the only way that someone could fly this route is either to fly TK direct; or fly Qatar Airways, Egyptair, Ethiopian, Aeroflot, etc... which might not have decent connections.

On the way back to Turkey, there are no issues transferring in Europe but I doubt that many people do not buy one-way tickets.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: TK G, A3 G
Judging from my flight yesterday catering in C even get worse, sandwich had no butter but some butter was put aside in the box ;-) After looking inside the box I handed straight back and took my take away catering from the terminal and the tomato juice I took from the lounge. Also the Wifi was unserviceable. However the F/As were apologetic and tried to make everyone comfortable. Bad situation for them as well.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:06 pm

Not catering but just received an amenity kit in J from JFK-IST. I didn't when I flew in August. Wonder if anything else will be different. Will report back.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Not cash?

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
Anyone not paying cash for flights is the reason airline companies are suffering.. I feel people flying on rewards are abusing the system and need to be monitored or limited to one flight a year for example. I pay full $ value for my tickets and they hurt my pocket so I don't feel very good about these abusing reward traveller's esp during cv19 when we need to be supporting the airlines.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by YVRELITE
Anyone not paying cash for flights is the reason airline companies are suffering.. I feel people flying on rewards are abusing the system and need to be monitored or limited to one flight a year for example. I pay full $ value for my tickets and they hurt my pocket so I don't feel very good about these abusing reward traveller's esp during cv19 when we need to be supporting the airlines.
Why would you pay cash for downgraded service? meal in a box!!! Don't agree with your statement.
ankomonkey, HarbourGent and AHC96 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Originally Posted by YVRELITE
I pay full $ value for my ticket when I get full service. No full service, then lower your price.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.