TK Catering back to normal?

Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
<But then everyone disappeared, and the biggest problem is that the call button is utterly useless>

This is in business class?? Shame on TK!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:40 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by daisymay2
<But then everyone disappeared, and the biggest problem is that the call button is utterly useless>

This is in business class?? Shame on TK!
Yes frankly I've never had that happen on any carrier. Even on US carriers, the rare time I've used the call button, someone comes.

Also the second meal was quite poor. The sandwich was a clump of mayonnaise, a sliced egg, perhaps 30 grams of sliced turkey, and pieces of pepper on a cold piece of bread. The only additional food items available were more boxes or more bread.

Ramz and DaveS like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:59 pm
Suspended

I also flew with TK recently, though can't say I was annoyed by the meal service change, because the meal in itself was very pleasant. And honestly, I didn't look at it at cost-cutting, because creating new packaging for the meal and new hygiene kits from scratch during this time doesn't seem much like a cost-cutting strategy. Also, very similar social distancing strategies are being applied in the restaurants in the country, so the airline seems to be implementing these as well to ease the mind of passengers when onboard. I also heard that this switch to pre-packaged meals that most airlines are doing is to stop interaction between cabin crew and passengers as recommended by IATA. So it's very understandable for them to make such changes to comply with international aviation guidelines.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The costs of the "cold box" is probably in the region of €5, a full standard business class meal costs about €25+. There is no reason why TK could not offer something similar to BA (in F) which includes a hot tray (essentially a tarted up economy class meal of the olden days) which costs about €12. Both use the same caterer. Interaction would be the same when using a trolley.

daisymay2, TPJ, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:44 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jasonation
I also heard that this switch to pre-packaged meals that most airlines are doing is to stop interaction between cabin crew and passengers as recommended by IATA.
Which many airlines achieve by still serving proper meal (including hot element) on a single tray. I have not heard about increased number of COVID cases among LH F/A's who still manage to offer hot meal but with appetizer and main course served on a single tray.
daisymay2, DaveS, raporot and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Jasonation
And honestly, I didn't look at it at cost-cutting, because creating new packaging for the meal and new hygiene kits from scratch during this time doesn't seem much like a cost-cutting strategy.
I could definitely tell that the cost of hygiene kits are about ₺1 ( about 0,15 ) per passenger. Providing replacement masks and antiseptic wipes should not be an excuse for reducing catering.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
I dont care about this wonderful hygiene process or also called as flying hospital. I want the service and catering like before back.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
IST-SFO 13.5 hour flight and we have boxed cold lunch with subpar booze in small wine bottles (no liquor available). Mid flight I asked if they had a snack, and they gave me the same box again.

Sorry to say, but Qatar Airways long-haul J is eating TK's lunch, literally. I don't mind using *A miles for TK long-haul but if cash unless there is a significant price difference, it needs to be QR for me.

Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Completed my first TATL flight with TK in J and I am quite underwhelmed. Everything: lounge experience (or rather lack of it), boarding process, headsets (seriously, even BA got a much better set in Club), selection of drinks, food is quite subpar.
I fully appreciate Covid challenges, but serving a chicken avocado wrap (was so bad that although I was super hungry, I didn't finish it) as the only main course selection is pretty pathetic. Limited selection of drinks (only Efes, or a very mediocre Turkish wine (1 Red, 1 White), a cheapo can of Seltzer which was given when I asked for a mineral water) is something I really don't understand: there are plenty of soft and alcoholic drinks available in individual packaging.
Finally, with catering now downgraded to an economy standard, why did it take more than 2 hours to serve food and drinks (and that was a red eye, so I really wanted to max my sleep time)?
Well, def not taking my business to TK - appreciate they are challenging times, but they failed to deliver against a very low bar (hate to say it, but my 4 hours connecting UA flight had a better service, comparable quality of food (two choices) and wider selection of drinks).

Last edited by luitje; Sep 9, 2020 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
On shorter routes, TK has also suspended the hot meal service for cabin crew as well. Cockpit crew would still receive hot meals.
I am sharing this to imply that this movement is a sign that regular hot meals may not return for a long time.

Source of News ( only in Turkish ):

A crew box would look like this:

Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
On shorter routes, TK has also suspended the hot meal service for cabin crew as well. Cockpit crew would still receive hot meals.
I am sharing this to imply that this movement is a sign that regular hot meals may not return for a long time.

I hope not as we have an open ticket for next Sept 2021 flight in Business class.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

IST I translated the article into English and cannot see where they imply that the catering downgrade is with us for the long term?
In fact is specifially says because of covid?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daisymay2
IST I translated the article into English and cannot see where they imply that the catering downgrade is with us for the long term?
In fact is specifially says because of covid?
The fact that the catering downgrade could be for the long term was my own personal opinion after reading this news article.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
My 1 september J class ticket BKK-IST-BRU got cancelled, TK not flying to BKK for the forseable future.
I received some promotion mails for repatriation flights (one way) from LH group and selected LX Y class BKK-ZRH-BRU
I did not find the J price worthwile and hoped for a light load.
All went fine I must say: normal cabine bag, checked in 2 bags as *A gold, got directed to TK lounge!, no buffet but choice of 8 meals from menu, very nice staff.
Asked for 4 middle seats, got them back of the plane seats 50.
Normal Y service on board, hot meal, wine, excellent quality.
I remember light trans Atlantic flights in my younger years where I could enjoy the 3 middle seats on B747/200 and had back pain from metal bars.
The 4 seats of this LX B777/300 were deliciuous (no you cant eat them...)
Excellent service, saw drink cart passing by a few times, water and snacks at the gallery.

Reading what TK is offering now in J I very well might fly LX whenever I will be able to terurn to my home in Thaliand.
I will defintely not pay for such a lousy service with TK....
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tartempion
My 1 september J class ticket BKK-IST-BRU got cancelled, TK not flying to BKK for the forseable future.
I received some promotion mails for repatriation flights (one way) from LH group and selected LX Y class BKK-ZRH-BRU
I did not find the J price worthwile and hoped for a light load.
All went fine I must say: normal cabine bag, checked in 2 bags as *A gold, got directed to TK lounge!, no buffet but choice of 8 meals from menu, very nice staff.
Asked for 4 middle seats, got them back of the plane seats 50.
Normal Y service on board, hot meal, wine, excellent quality.
I remember light trans Atlantic flights in my younger years where I could enjoy the 3 middle seats on B747/200 and had back pain from metal bars.
The 4 seats of this LX B777/300 were deliciuous (no you cant eat them...)
Excellent service, saw drink cart passing by a few times, water and snacks at the gallery.

Reading what TK is offering now in J I very well might fly LX whenever I will be able to terurn to my home in Thaliand.
I will defintely not pay for such a lousy service with TK....
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.
For the reference, all outstation TK lounges ( with the exception of VKO - if I'm not wrong ) are operated by third-party companies and TK only holds a share of them and the naming rights. That's why both the BKK and IAD lounges are open at this time.
tartempion likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.