Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Check in at different airport 24 hours before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Hear me out guys. I’m trying to book something US-MAD in IB or BA depending on the new avios promotions and what’s available to me. Now, if I manage to travel US-MAD And would like to purchase a standalone ticket in TK MAD-IST, would I be able to go to my local US airport with TK flights (even now) and ask for checkin and boarding passes for MAD-IST 24 hours before?

I’m trying to see if I can get a boarding pass for sure in case online check in fails in these covid times, to show them when checking in for Iberia so that there are no issues with allowing me on board since I’ll be transiting in Madrid. Any thoughts are appreciated it. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It's a huge risk, it might be possible it might not.
As most outstations in the US have outsourced contracted ground staff agents, it would depend on them. However, be prepared for a no.

By the way, a small reminder that Iberia may still not accept you onboard your USA-MAD flight even if you have an onward TK boarding pass in your hand as your contract between them would be related to your transportation between the USA and Madrid.
If you would like to visit Turkey, it would be safer that all flights are on a single ticket.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's a huge risk, it might be possible it might not.
As most outstations in the US have outsourced contracted ground staff agents, it would depend on them. However, be prepared for a no.

By the way, a small reminder that Iberia may still not accept you onboard your USA-MAD flight even if you have an onward TK boarding pass in your hand as your contract between them would be related to your transportation between the USA and Madrid.
If you would like to visit Turkey, it would be safer that all flights are on a single ticket.
Thanks for the dose of honesty and the information. Seriously. That’s what I’ve been hearing/reading, that it has to be all on the same PNR. Unfortunately Iberia doesn’t fly to IST/SAW and BA charges high surcharges.

will definitively have to book direct with TK. Thanks again!
DaveS and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I'm almost certain that the US staff at the TK check-in counters will refuse to check you in for MAD-IST; you are not even flying TK to get to MAD/Europe first.

As stated above, it is not at all clear if IB will allow you to board even if you are able to show a BP for the onward TK flight, MAD-ISR. To IB your POD is MAD and you need to fulfill the requirements for entering Spain in order to fly IB to MAD. I'm sorry but this plan of yours is asking for troubles IMO. Simply not worth it just to be able to avail yourself on an Avios offer; there will be other offers in future for sure.

I would go for the direct TK flight - also much more convenient.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I'm almost certain that the US staff at the TK check-in counters will refuse to check you in for MAD-IST; you are not even flying TK to get to MAD/Europe first.

As stated above, it is not at all clear if IB will allow you to board even if you are able to show a BP for the onward TK flight, MAD-ISR. To IB your POD is MAD and you need to fulfill the requirements for entering Spain in order to fly IB to MAD. I'm sorry but this plan of yours is asking for troubles IMO. Simply not worth it just to be able to avail yourself on an Avios offer; there will be other offers in future for sure.

I would go for the direct TK flight - also much more convenient.
Thank you. Yeap, I’m looking at TK fares as it is. There will come better times.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Basanez
Thanks for the dose of honesty and the information. Seriously. That’s what I’ve been hearing/reading, that it has to be all on the same PNR. Unfortunately Iberia doesn’t fly to IST/SAW and BA charges high surcharges.

will definitively have to book direct with TK. Thanks again!
if your goal is to redeem avios, you can fly EI to Turkey with limited YQ.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
if your goal is to redeem avios, you can fly EI to Turkey with limited YQ.
Aer Lingus only operates to Izmir in Turkey and it's a summer seasonal route.
By the way, on the back to the USA from Turkey, you need to overnight at least a night at Dublin which would lead to a 14-day self-quarantine in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.