Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Trip report: Toronto to Istanbul business class

Trip report: Toronto to Istanbul business class

Old Aug 7, 20, 5:30 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: LHR/PTY
Programs: AF/KL Gold, TP Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by Mict View Post
And I am here hoping for an improvement for my IST-SFO flight next week
Hope there were at least some shops or restaurants open so you can get food before/for the flight!
AHC96 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 20, 6:36 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by AHC96 View Post
Hope there were at least some shops or restaurants open so you can get food before/for the flight!
Some of the shops are open but most of the food outlets are closed ( at least during my visit 3 weeks ago ).
The open food merchants in the international zone of IST were Starbucks, Subway, one of the pubs, Tadında Anadolu ( Turkish food ), and one or two other cafés in the duty-free hall.

Obviously, I am talking about IST and not YYZ.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:16 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SFO, BRU, ADB
Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 616
Wait, I thought the lounge was open?
Mict is offline  
Old Aug 7, 20, 8:05 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by Mict View Post
Wait, I thought the lounge was open?
The OP's trip report is from YYZ to IST.

The Air Canada Lounge in YYZ ( which TK pax are directed to ) is closed.
The Miles&Smiles Lounge in IST is open.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 9, 20, 2:40 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by Mict View Post
And I am here hoping for an improvement for my IST-SFO flight next week
Please do report back! Potentially flying the opposite direction at the end of September (on the way to Bodrum).

After only a mildly detailed search, I can’t find any news on if/when Turkish has plans to expand catering back to normal. Or at least partly there.
gobears293 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 20, 12:58 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by gobears293 View Post
Please do report back! Potentially flying the opposite direction at the end of September (on the way to Bodrum).

After only a mildly detailed search, I can’t find any news on if/when Turkish has plans to expand catering back to normal. Or at least partly there.
Do not expect a back-to-normal catering from TK in the next couple of months.
Currently, TK is doing great in terms of passenger loads with their hygiene-based marketing strategy so I don't think they would change their catering standards for the moment.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 10, 20, 12:10 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,159
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Do not expect a back-to-normal catering from TK in the next couple of months.
Currently, TK is doing great in terms of passenger loads with their hygiene-based marketing strategy so I don't think they would change their catering standards for the moment.
What about hand luggage allowance? Any changes?

Now I'm struggling to see if I should get a refund instead of having open tickets.
daisymay2 likes this.
nacho is offline  
Old Aug 11, 20, 12:31 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
What about hand luggage allowance? Any changes?

Now I'm struggling to see if I should get a refund instead of having open tickets.
The hand luggage thing is a Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision.
I also don't think that it would be removed until the cases here in Turkey are close to zero or until COVID has disappeared.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 11, 20, 10:29 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,159
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
The hand luggage thing is a Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision.
I also don't think that it would be removed until the cases here in Turkey are close to zero or until COVID has disappeared.
Thanks!
nacho is offline  
Old Aug 13, 20, 7:15 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
So was there no pillow offered with the blanket? I usually travel with a neck pillow, but the carry-on restrictions will prevent me from having room to do so this time.
downinit is offline  
Old Aug 14, 20, 7:16 am
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: TK AC
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
So was there no pillow offered with the blanket? I usually travel with a neck pillow, but the carry-on restrictions will prevent me from having room to do so this time.
Yes, there was a pillow at the seat, as well as a pillow with the business class bedroll.
daisymay2 likes this.
jackmaninov is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:42 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Hi, I'm flying to IST from Washington DC, was wanting to know how your return flight was? My flight is 9.5 hours going to and 10.5 hours returning. Thanks!
cgambill is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:46 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by cgambill View Post
Hi, I'm flying to IST from Washington DC, was wanting to know how your return flight was? My flight is 9.5 hours going to and 10.5 hours returning. Thanks!
Hi cgambill and welcome to FlyerTalk.

As you would fly IAD-IST, this report may be more useful as it's on the same routing. It's pretty similar to this one, however, with IAD as the departure airport, you would know what to expect.
Brief Flight Report -- TK8 IAD - IST on June 20, 2020

By the way, in addition to the report, you would get a visit to the Turkish Airlines Lounge in IAD that currently serves pre-packed food and have bar service available. ( Assuming that you have *G or traveling in Business Class )
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:26 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks for the link to the flight. My partner and I are in business class. I hope the food improves, we aren't flying until October 9.
cgambill is offline  
Old Sep 18, 20, 4:35 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 84
Just flew IST-JFK on 9/16. Same terrible food offering. Saving grace is that T1 was empty (apparently the TK flight is the only incoming flight at that time these days) so we were out in < 10 minutes.
Fc912 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: