Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Trip report: Toronto to Istanbul business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: Toronto to Istanbul business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Originally Posted by Mict
And I am here hoping for an improvement for my IST-SFO flight next week
Hope there were at least some shops or restaurants open so you can get food before/for the flight!
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AHC96
Hope there were at least some shops or restaurants open so you can get food before/for the flight!
Some of the shops are open but most of the food outlets are closed ( at least during my visit 3 weeks ago ).
The open food merchants in the international zone of IST were Starbucks, Subway, one of the pubs, Tadında Anadolu ( Turkish food ), and one or two other cafés in the duty-free hall.

Obviously, I am talking about IST and not YYZ.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Wait, I thought the lounge was open?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Wait, I thought the lounge was open?
The OP's trip report is from YYZ to IST.

The Air Canada Lounge in YYZ ( which TK pax are directed to ) is closed.
The Miles&Smiles Lounge in IST is open.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
And I am here hoping for an improvement for my IST-SFO flight next week
Please do report back! Potentially flying the opposite direction at the end of September (on the way to Bodrum).

After only a mildly detailed search, I can’t find any news on if/when Turkish has plans to expand catering back to normal. Or at least partly there.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobears293
Please do report back! Potentially flying the opposite direction at the end of September (on the way to Bodrum).

After only a mildly detailed search, I can’t find any news on if/when Turkish has plans to expand catering back to normal. Or at least partly there.
Do not expect a back-to-normal catering from TK in the next couple of months.
Currently, TK is doing great in terms of passenger loads with their hygiene-based marketing strategy so I don't think they would change their catering standards for the moment.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Do not expect a back-to-normal catering from TK in the next couple of months.
Currently, TK is doing great in terms of passenger loads with their hygiene-based marketing strategy so I don't think they would change their catering standards for the moment.
What about hand luggage allowance? Any changes?

Now I'm struggling to see if I should get a refund instead of having open tickets.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
What about hand luggage allowance? Any changes?

Now I'm struggling to see if I should get a refund instead of having open tickets.
The hand luggage thing is a Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision.
I also don't think that it would be removed until the cases here in Turkey are close to zero or until COVID has disappeared.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The hand luggage thing is a Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision.
I also don't think that it would be removed until the cases here in Turkey are close to zero or until COVID has disappeared.
Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:15 am

So was there no pillow offered with the blanket? I usually travel with a neck pillow, but the carry-on restrictions will prevent me from having room to do so this time.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by downinit
So was there no pillow offered with the blanket? I usually travel with a neck pillow, but the carry-on restrictions will prevent me from having room to do so this time.
Yes, there was a pillow at the seat, as well as a pillow with the business class bedroll.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm flying to IST from Washington DC, was wanting to know how your return flight was? My flight is 9.5 hours going to and 10.5 hours returning. Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cgambill
Hi, I'm flying to IST from Washington DC, was wanting to know how your return flight was? My flight is 9.5 hours going to and 10.5 hours returning. Thanks!
Hi cgambill and welcome to FlyerTalk.

As you would fly IAD-IST, this report may be more useful as it's on the same routing. It's pretty similar to this one, however, with IAD as the departure airport, you would know what to expect.
Brief Flight Report -- TK8 IAD - IST on June 20, 2020

By the way, in addition to the report, you would get a visit to the Turkish Airlines Lounge in IAD that currently serves pre-packed food and have bar service available. ( Assuming that you have *G or traveling in Business Class )
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:26 am

Thanks for the link to the flight. My partner and I are in business class. I hope the food improves, we aren't flying until October 9.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:35 pm

Just flew IST-JFK on 9/16. Same terrible food offering. Saving grace is that T1 was empty (apparently the TK flight is the only incoming flight at that time these days) so we were out in < 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.