Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta to Istanbul trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Jakarta to Istanbul trip report

Here is a review from Josh Cahill (he just posted it) of a very recent TK flight he took from Jakarta to Istanbul. For a 11-hour flight, this new level of service from Turkish Airlines is not acceptable.
daisymay2 likes this.

Last edited by fil_87; Jul 12, 2020 at 3:28 am
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
A good report from him. TK management should watch this. He is absolutely right that the catering is inadequate and the comparison with Garuda is useful.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Yes the catering leaves a lot to be desired but we are in very unusual times. In any case that guy's shtick leaves a lot to be desired. the words pompous and self important come to mind.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
OK, first off it really is nice to see one of our irritating prima dona bloggers in economy class: so well done there.

But whining about not getting a hot meal while travelling in these extraordinary times is just a little bit too precious. Get real.

It's a near empty cabin: watch a film, read a book, stretch out across a row of seats. Quit kvetching.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
But some other airlines are not using the current difficult times as an excuse to cut back on their catering. Or at least are providing something - Garuda for example. The quality of the food is one of the primary reasons for flying TK over other carriers.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
OK, first off it really is nice to see one of our irritating prima dona bloggers in economy class: so well done there.

But whining about not getting a hot meal while travelling in these extraordinary times is just a little bit too precious. Get real.

It's a near empty cabin: watch a film, read a book, stretch out across a row of seats. Quit kvetching.
I think we are all very aware of the situation & challenging times. But this is a 11-hour flight and the quantity (& quality) of food provided ((two (rather) small sandwiches)) is not acceptable.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Originally Posted by DaveS
But some other airlines are not using the current difficult times as an excuse to cut back on their catering. Or at least are providing something - Garuda for example. The quality of the food is one of the primary reasons for flying TK over other carriers.
Originally Posted by fil_87
I think we are all very aware of the situation & challenging times. But this is a 11-hour flight and the quantity (& quality) of food provided ((two (rather) small sandwiches)) is not acceptable.
I agree with all of you.

First, it's obvious that TK would lose reputation if they keep their catering at this level. TK's hygiene-foreground would not exist too much when more airlines return to competition with normal service. We also know that both BA and TK are both cost-cutting at this point.

And I also agree with IAN-UK at some point. Probably Josh knew there wasn't going to be a hot meal. I expect an aviation or travel vlogger with that much reputation to make his research before travelling. He probably chose TK because he would be able to show his audience a more post-COVID hygiene based experience and get more views ( more money ) rather than a close-to-normal experience on another airline. Plus, I don't know if he has status or not, but it would have been nice if he reviewed one of the iGA Lounges or the Miles&Smiles Lounges which were open at IST during his layover.

By the way, from my experiences, from this video and from what I've heard; TK does not let passengers change seats, even move to empty rows after COVID-19, so if you're trying to get an empty row to yourself, ask for one from your gate agent.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I agree with all of you.

By the way, from my experiences, from this video and from what I've heard; TK does not let passengers change seats, even move to empty rows after COVID-19, so if you're trying to get an empty row to yourself, ask for one from your gate agent.
Thanks, for the info that is really useful!
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:07 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I'm the last person to defend the TK catering "solution" but Garuda was already loosing lots of money before this crisis. It is not exactly a model on how to run an airline efficiently or profitably.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I agree with all of you.

First, it's obvious that TK would lose reputation if they keep their catering at this level. TK's hygiene-foreground would not exist too much when more airlines return to competition with normal service. We also know that both BA and TK are both cost-cutting at this point.

And I also agree with IAN-UK at some point. Probably Josh knew there wasn't going to be a hot meal. I expect an aviation or travel vlogger with that much reputation to make his research before travelling. He probably chose TK because he would be able to show his audience a more post-COVID hygiene based experience and get more views ( more money ) rather than a close-to-normal experience on another airline. Plus, I don't know if he has status or not, but it would have been nice if he reviewed one of the iGA Lounges or the Miles&Smiles Lounges which were open at IST during his layover.

Even FlyDubai (a budget carrier) is keeping service to a very good level & serving hot food these days! See below.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/07...grade.html?m=1
asnovici and daisymay2 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fil_87
Even FlyDubai (a budget carrier) is keeping service to a very good level & serving hot food these days! See below.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2020/07...grade.html?m=1

But that was FlyDubai's business-class service.

And the trip-report covered TK's economy-class.

TK long-haul business-class meals may not be the delights you'd hope for, but i'd be hoping they are an improvement of the sandwich bags handed out on this economy-class Jakarta Istanbul trip.

I'm guessing TK is in a hard place between its various ministry overlords, health and safety advisors, suppliers (and their problems), and the wish to resume near-normal onboard service. TK management might have some areas of deafness, but they are well aware of the passenger appeal of their catering.

Good times will return: but at the moment, onboard catering is at the very bottom of my list of concerns when it comes to travelling.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

Good times will return: but at the moment, onboard catering is at the very bottom of my list of concerns when it comes to travelling.
it is my concern. And of many others I know. If we pay Business fares and other airlines provide decent catering I will go with them and not a lunch box on Turkish. I will go for real champagne on BA (gasp!) vs whatever sparkling crap TK decided to offer in quarter size bottles on 11 hours flight as one serving only because FAs disappear after that. I will go for real Business meals with glassware and real china on LH over cardboard box on TK. I will go with full service on QR in Business over whatever TK is peddling on flights they sometimes decide to fly. People do care.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
When I book a flight, the entire onboard experience incl catering, is a key decision factor.
That's why I happily went out of my way in the past to fly TK.
The current onboard product of TK leaves a lot to be desired.
Yes, there is a pandemic, but trust me - it is possible to heat a nice-looking meal and serve it on tray.

I find it remarkable that TK is cutting their catering so drastically - especially as it has always been *THE* differentiator for them...
DaveS, daisymay2, cheltzel and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
He looks cute.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northernstar84
He looks cute.
Maybe, but then the talkies came along and spoiled the dream .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.