FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   LON-IST Trip Report (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2021219-lon-ist-trip-report.html)

nwncl Jul 8, 2020 2:17 pm

LON-IST Trip Report

A quick Trip Report for those of you that are thinking about traveling right now. My initial plans actually had me doing a return trip from LHR to MIA with a stop over in both directions in IST. However on my way to the LHR I had a text notifying that my flight from IST-MIA was cancelled. As this is the 2nd time I have attempted this trip I took at as a sign that I was not meant to be going to the US right now. I was able to get a refund (It has yet to post) and then just booked for the next day to go to IST.

STN-SAW 02/07

Check-in @ Stansted (STN):

· This flight was operated by Anadolou Jet. Stansted airport was relatively empty and fellow travellers were all good about physical distancing and wearing face masks.

· As an Elite it had stated that I would receive the extra luggage allowance, however at the check-in they had some question. However when the computer allowed it they didn’t say anything further.

· There was no Elite check-in area, but I would not expect that with Andolou Jet.

Security and airport:

· The airport was pretty empty compared to a normal day at Stansted. This was also one of the first weeks of flights starting back up out of STN

· I was allowed Fast Track with my Elite card. I think this was more a result of the person not sure and it was a slow day so it gave him something to do.

Boarding:

· Was from the back of the aircraft by row number. They were strict about this which I was pleased to see.

· Temperature was taken after your boarding pass was scanned.

· The flight was nearly full with no middle seats left empty. Based on language it was predominantly Turks returning to Turkey.

Food and in-flight amenities:

· A Hygiene kit was handed out at the boarding door

· A sealed paper bag was handed out after take-off. It had a small cheese sandwich, a bottle of water, a Peach juice box, and a muffin. For a quick 3 hour flight I was pleased to see this much right now.

· Not everyone was good about wearing their masks and /or wearing it properly the whole flight. I wish the FA would have been a bit more strict at enforcing this policy.

De-planing:

Again was by row from the front of the aircraft, They were very clear that they would not proceed if people did not remain seated.

Security/Immigration at SAW

Was a HOT MESS! No systems of lines and a lot of tempers flaring up between passengers. I was very happy to get through immigration in about 30 minutes as several flights came in at the same time.

I didn't mind flying into SAW, it just was expensive to get to my destination over by Ataturk (the old airport)

IST-LHR 06/07

Check-in @ IST

· This flight was operated by Turkish.

· Elite Check in was normal and they happily gave me a seat that would normally have a charge in the front row. I found out later why.. :rolleyes:

Security and airport:

· Security and Immigration were virtually empty at 5am, breezed right through.

· I was pleasantly surprised the lounge was open! Offering pre-packaged items canned/bottled self-serve drinks, tea and coffee. It was pretty empty but nice to have a quiet and empty place first thing in the morning.

Boarding:

· Was from the back of the aircraft by row number. They were strict about this which I was pleased to see.

· Temperature was taken after your boarding pass was scanned.

· The flight was nearly EMPTY, I want to say 25 people on a big 777. This also explains why they had no issue with giving me the whole front row to myself.:D

Food and in-flight amenities:

· A Hygiene kit was handed out at the boarding door, slightly different as this one had hand Sanitizer in addition to the wipe.

· A sealed paper bag was handed out after take-off. Simililar in that it had a small cheese sandwich, a bottle of water, a Peach juice box, and a muffin. For a quick 3 hour flight I was pleased to see this much right now.

· Uneventful and we arrived 45 minutes early.

De-planing:

Again was by row but with so few it didn’t matter.

Security/Immigration at LHR

In my departure I had hoped that the British government would have an earlier announcement of its Quarantine restrictions, but with no luck. So I had to fill in the on-line form and now in in quarantine for 14 days even though the “air bridge” starts Friday. Its fine, it is giving me time to write this trip report.

Sorry I didn’t take photos!

It was overall a good trip and if anything gave me confidence in traveling by air. Shame Turkish keeps cancelling my US flight and not willing to do anything other than have me wait for several days to take another!
Safe and happy travels.

ISTFlyer Jul 8, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks for the report, I would like to ask you which lounge you were directed in IST?

northernstar84 Jul 8, 2020 3:45 pm

Why you want to force the people to use the mask the whole flight ? Are you afraid?
They are uncomfortable

starflyergold Jul 8, 2020 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by northernstar84 (Post 32517774)
Why you want to force the people to use the mask the whole flight ? Are you afraid?
They are uncomfortable

Comfortable or not they are mandatory on all TK flights at the moment. Don't want to wear one, don't fly.

DaveS Jul 9, 2020 12:39 am

Originally Posted by northernstar84 (Post 32517774)
They are uncomfortable

Many people are very afraid. Most airlines have made the same decision now. It will be one of the factors to take into account when deciding whether you want to fly.

nwncl Jul 9, 2020 1:19 am

Thanks for the replies. To answer the above questions:

1) as I flew economy I was directed to the Gold miles and Smiles lounge. At 5am I would say it had a maximum of 10 people in it. It was easy to find a well distanced sitting area and enjoy a morning coffee.

2) Mandatory masks are just part of the game right now. I am not afraid, I am sensible. Considering that the whole of Turkey requires them when outside or receive a rather hefty fine of 900lira, I don’t see this even being a question on an airplane. ( especially when they provide them). Simply put, Turkish Airlines rule not mine.

gr8pirate Jul 9, 2020 1:31 am

Originally Posted by nwncl (Post 32518564)
I am not afraid, I am sensible.

well said!

northernstar84 Jul 9, 2020 2:03 am

I use the mask under the nose. And others too. We are happy that it is not enforced so strict. Its anyway useless Hysteria. For the drinking and eating in the plane you take off the mask anyway.

gr8pirate Jul 9, 2020 3:19 am

Originally Posted by northernstar84 (Post 32518605)
I use the mask under the nose. And others too. Its anyway useless Hysteria.

Shame to see this useful TR diverted to this subject. I thought FT’ers had more common sense.

Here’s a free public service announcement:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dfcd8cd13.jpeg

DaveS Jul 9, 2020 9:27 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 32518685)
Shame to see this useful TR diverted to this subject. I thought FT’ers had more common sense.

Here’s a free public service announcement:

So it is OK for women then?

G_G Jul 9, 2020 10:37 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 32518685)
Shame to see this useful TR diverted to this subject. I thought FT’ers had more common sense .

Unfortunately no :rolleyes:

gr8pirate Jul 9, 2020 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 32519391)
So it is OK for women then?

Women have much bigger balls than men, so definitely not.

I’m going to get myself banned if this keeps up.

raporot Jul 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 32518500)
Many people are very afraid. Most airlines have made the same decision now. It will be one of the factors to take into account when deciding whether you want to fly.

if you afraid - stay home.that's it.
where im here now people doing cycling at 45+ degrees WITH black mask, in gym people doing exercises in mask.
As a professional athlete, I know how important breathing is, and what they do is just nonsense and their heads are washed out.
and the fact that STATES make billions a month on the sale of masks that cost a penny - is it not strange?

BobFF68 Jul 10, 2020 11:01 pm

Oh dear, the conspiracy theory...

I thought we were on a thread related to a trip report, anyway thanks to the OP.

starflyergold Jul 11, 2020 4:28 am

Grateful if the posts could focus on the trip report and the TK experience on board and not sidestep into fantasy land

starflyergold
TK forum moderator