Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 Flight with 777 Seat Map?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:31 am
Original Poster

787 Flight with 777 Seat Map?

I want to book an award flight in J and fly the new TK 787 seats. I found a flight next year from IST to YVR that shows 787-9, but the seat map on both Expert Flyer and the Turkish Airlines website shows 2-3-2 seating (the 777 configuration). Strangely, the return flight that same day shows the correct 787 seat map. One week later, the opposite happens: the 787 seat map shows up on the flight to YVR but the return flight shows the 777 configuration. I called the airline and asked. She said that you can only book seats 100 days before the flight and that it is probably a mistake. She confirmed that a 787-9 is scheduled to fly that day. If I begin the process of buying a ticket on their website, however, I could select the middle seat, which does not exist on the 787, and the website did not complain.

Any insight into this? Do you think it's a mistake and it's safe to book this flight? Or should I book a different flight? (Other flights, unfortunately, seem to require overnight layovers in connecting U.S. cities.)
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
My guess is TK really do intend to fly that route with a 787 or the new 350, both of which feature the new seat. However airplane swaps can always happen, and they are just now figuring out the post-covid-grounding schedule.

So chances are it will be the new seat, but no one can guarantee it at this point.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by imdoug
I want to book an award flight in J and fly the new TK 787 seats. I found a flight next year from IST to YVR that shows 787-9, but the seat map on both Expert Flyer and the Turkish Airlines website shows 2-3-2 seating (the 777 configuration). Strangely, the return flight that same day shows the correct 787 seat map. One week later, the opposite happens: the 787 seat map shows up on the flight to YVR but the return flight shows the 777 configuration. I called the airline and asked. She said that you can only book seats 100 days before the flight and that it is probably a mistake. She confirmed that a 787-9 is scheduled to fly that day. If I begin the process of buying a ticket on their website, however, I could select the middle seat, which does not exist on the 787, and the website did not complain.

Any insight into this? Do you think it's a mistake and it's safe to book this flight? Or should I book a different flight? (Other flights, unfortunately, seem to require overnight layovers in connecting U.S. cities.)

Best book the flight while award seats are available, and resign yourself to the aircraft fate gives you. Otherwise you'll spend the intervening months in a state of high anxiety.

Nothing is certain with TK aircraft allocation: but if the timetable shows a 787 then it's more likely that's what you'll. Nowhere near certain, mind: just more likely than not.

Imagine how sick you'd feel if you went for the more expensive route with an overnight stopover, only to find there'd been a switch of aircraft....
Old Jun 28, 2020, 5:30 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
I think they may have been updating schedules today - I had the same thing happen, they ended up swapping a 787 for 777 for a flight in a few weeks. I went to assign my seats today and saw 787 as the aircraft but 777 seat map, I just re-checked and the flight is now a 777. Re-check the schedule and see what aircraft is running on the date of travel.

Not sure when your flight is, but I would expect a lot of swapping and schedule changes to happen over the next few months, so if you are only booking the flight to fly a 787 I wouldn't bank on anything sticking.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Checking my July 10th flight from ORD, which has been 789 since booking a week or so ago and now switched to a 77W according to EF.
Maybe their flights are going out so full they feel the need to up-gauge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.