Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HES Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

HES Codes

I am a US passport folder flying into IST on QR, and then taking a separate domestic flight later in my trip on TK. I have a friend in country that has texted 2023 to acquire my HES codes, and he forwarded them to me.

Unfortunately, no matter what do to try and input them on my domestic flights (input them online, call into the hot line, etc.) Turkish keeps saying they are invalid. I have tried calling the US sales offices (thinking that they would have more experience with HES codes generated via passport number, instead of TR ID), but none of them answer the phone.

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I missing something?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Actually, it looks like everything was updated today to indicate that only Turkish citizens and resident permit holders require an HES code now (all the docs said it was required for everyone on domestic flights just a couple days ago....and the system will still issue HES codes via SMS for foreigners.)
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The HES code requirement is only for Turkish citizens.
Ignore the auto-alerts sent by Turkish Airlines.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Looking at domestic flights

Is the restriction on interprovincial travel for people >65 also limited to Turkish citizens/residents or tourists as well?

Any specific restriction in South Eastern turkey specifically?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Chuvash
Looking at domestic flights

Is the restriction on interprovincial travel for people >65 also limited to Turkish citizens/residents or tourists as well?

Any specific restriction in South Eastern turkey specifically?
The 65+ rule is for Turkish citizens. If you’re a dual-national or if you hold a blue card, you would need to carry your passport with you.

And, no regional restrictions here in Turkey.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this still current? TK told me even foreigners need it for domestic trips, which I understood from official websites it’s not needed, like how it’s not needed to go into Malls etc.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
Is this still current? TK told me even foreigners need it for domestic trips, which I understood from official websites it’s not needed, like how it’s not needed to go into Malls etc.
Foreigners do not need it for domestic trips but there is a glitch that might not permit you to check-in online or modify your reservation without entering a HES code. The check-in agents would be familiar with this issue.

I don't know what is the system in shopping malls for tourists. Since the restriction, I haven't noticed any foreigner entering a mall at the same time as me so I don't know the system.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Foreign tourists do not need HES Code when visiting shopping malls. Only body temperature is checked at the entries. Wearing a mask is mandatory in Turkey.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The situation is murky by unclear Government guidance and clarity along with differing interpretations across Turkey. A great number of Comrades are resident in Turkey, and those citizens of RU (less so UA) have a foreigners card and they definitely need the code. With so few tourists, they assume the rule applies to all foreigners, including tourists.

Hotels are advising tourists they need the HES code to go shopping.

I also understand that any foreigner can obtain the HES code even if they do not need one and probably the Government would like it if everyone did..
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Went shopping in the Viaport Mall near SAW last week during our 24 hour transit and on entry, 1st time they waived me through, 2nd time they asked for ID and then waived me through. Everyone else was showing their HES code on their phones. The only place that we had an issue was Decathalon who were insisting that foreigners downloaded a HES code before entering, but as we were about to leave, we just skipped that store.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:31 pm

Turkish Domestic Flight and International HES US citizen

Reading Turkish Airlines HES is not needed for US citizens for domestic and international. Plan is to fly from ITS-ADB for a few days in June, and then fly IST-ATH. But reading up on TripAdvisor Istanbul forum, people are saying everyone needs to get one.

So my understanding as of right now - Negative Covid Test 72 hrs, E-visa, and Passenger Locator Form, but now one also has to get the HES. And after the Passenger Locator Form is filled out then one gets the HES number?

So Turkish Airlines is incorrect? And basically all news about entering Turkey should explain the steps necessary, not solely Turkey is open to tourists,
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A HES code would be produced for you automatically when you fill out the passenger locator form and you could use that when checking-in for your IST-ADB flight.

There is no need that you have one in advance. You could skip that part in the booking stage.
We also have a thread related to HES codes and domestic travel, however, some information over there is outdated as there were changes in the HES code system in March: HES Codes for Domestic Flights?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:59 pm

Thank you for the link to the thread and yes it does seem to be a little behind. Regarding entry, so one needs to be aware on any flight/any airline to find the Passenger Entry Form, for ex LH fights from Frankfurt or a code share UA to Amsterdam onto IST via Turkish.

And since we plan on being in Istanbul for 6 nights then fly on a separate ticket via Turkish do I just show them the code at checkin? Starting to be a lot of boxes I need to check
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Conan126
Thank you for the link to the thread and yes it does seem to be a little behind. Regarding entry, so one needs to be aware on any flight/any airline to find the Passenger Entry Form, for ex LH fights from Frankfurt or a code share UA to Amsterdam onto IST via Turkish.

And since we plan on being in Istanbul for 6 nights then fly on a separate ticket via Turkish do I just show them the code at checkin? Starting to be a lot of boxes I need to check
Despite the airline you are arriving at IST, the entry form is the same. It's not imposed by Turkish Airlines but the Turkish Ministry of Health.
You could show your HES code at check-in or you could fill the blank HES code field in "Manage my Booking" after filling out the locator form for entering Turkey. It's up to you.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:07 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
We also have a thread related to HES codes and domestic travel, however, some information over there is outdated as there were changes in the HES code system in March: HES Codes for Domestic Flights?
The threads are now merged.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.