Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

No on-board luggage allowed (rescinded 16 December)

Old Jun 23, 20, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold

Reportedly no onboard luggage currently on TK flights. If correct, are visas being required to collect luggage on international transit itinerary, where there is only cabin luggage which was forced to be checked in on departure?
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:42 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Separate tickets, it's all on your own risk.
In single tickets, checked baggage is sent to your final destination regardless of the dimensions.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
In single tickets, checked baggage is sent to your final destination regardless of the dimensions.
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

ISTFlyer. Thanks. It will be on a single TK-TK ticket. Can I also presume that any gate checked cabin luggage is not counted in checked luggage allowance?
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
TK does not have a gate check application like US carriers.
You would need to hand in your carry-on at the check-in counter and you would receive it at your final destination at the carousel.

Also if you're travelling on a flight that has piece baggage application ( to/from USA/Canada/Japan ), you would have the right to check one extra small carry-on size bag.
If you're travelling on a route where the baggage allowance is determined by weight, you would have +4 kgs of extra baggage allowance for your carry-on that would be sent on hold. The remaining 4 kilograms ( 8 - 4 = 4 ) could be used for your personal item ( handbag, laptop bag, duty-free bag, etc... ) that could fit under the seat.
Old Jun 24, 20, 3:56 am

No on-board luggage is allowed, you have to check everything during the check-in. I have flown TK8 on June 20 and I am planning to share a brief flight report when I can find some time today. Feel free to ask any questions.
daisymay2, ISTFlyer and jlimftalk like this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 8:09 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by max_kolesne View Post
No on-board luggage is allowed, you have to check everything during the check-in. I have flown TK8 on June 20 and I am planning to share a brief flight report when I can find some time today. Feel free to ask any questions.
how strict is measure for carry one? how much (and big) maximum bags you are seen on gates which carried by people?
Old Jun 24, 20, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by raporot View Post
how strict is measure for carry one? how much (and big) maximum bags you are seen on gates which carried by people?
From the Turkish Airlines website:
In order to minimize physical contact with your environment, you will only be allowed to take personal and valuable belongings with you in the permitted size (max. 40x30x15 cm and no more than 4 kg.). All other cabin baggage will be received during the check-in process as registered baggage. Your unused cabin baggage allowance will be added to your baggage allowance.

In other words, you could take one personal item that could fit under Economy Class seats.
In Early-June at ADB, there were people arguing with the supervisor but they were very strict about the dimensions so people whose baggage is over the dimensions are forced to check their bags on hold. The supervisor was telling the passengers that it's out of her control and she should follow the orders from the management.
Old Jun 24, 20, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
From the Turkish Airlines website:

In other words, you could take one personal item that could fit under Economy Class seats.
In Early-June at ADB, there were people arguing with the supervisor but they were very strict about the dimensions so people whose baggage is over the dimensions are forced to check their bags on hold. The supervisor was telling the passengers that it's out of her control and she should follow the orders from the management.
My wife usually travels with a moderate amount of photographic equipment. It is both valuable and fragile (especially her collection of lenses). We have nothing planned for the next 6 - 9 months so this is of no immediate impact. But I expect this will cause anyone in a similar situation to defer travel.
jlimftalk likes this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
My wife usually travels with a moderate amount of photographic equipment. It is both valuable and fragile (especially her collection of lenses). We have nothing planned for the next 6 - 9 months so this is of no immediate impact. But I expect this will cause anyone in a similar situation to defer travel.
That is also one of the reasons I am avoiding TK on routes where I have alternatives on international routes.
There are airlines who accept cabin baggages as pre-COVID.

Also, the TK baggage services team is not that great when they lose your baggage. My bag was never lost on a TK flight but I know from others that the experience is not that pleasant.
Edvard likes this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
That is also one of the reasons I am avoiding TK on routes where I have alternatives on international routes.
There are airlines who accept cabin baggages as pre-COVID.

Also, the TK baggage services team is not that great when they lose your baggage. My bag was never lost on a TK flight but I know from others that the experience is not that pleasant.
TK isn't the only airline with less than stellar performance on lost baggage. I've had issues on US domestic and a couple of international carriers. I've always gotten either the luggage or compensation but sometimes it has taken months for a final resolution.

One of the reasons we fly in business is to be able to carry on a fair amount of gear. Nothing excessive in weight, but cameras, laptops/tablets and a CPAP machine adds up as far as size and number of bags. We have everything insured but you still risk arriving at your destination without the gear you need and you likely will have to wait on your return to replace what you've lost.
TPJ and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 3:04 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
TK isn't the only airline with less than stellar performance on lost baggage. I've had issues on US domestic and a couple of international carriers. I've always gotten either the luggage or compensation but sometimes it has taken months for a final resolution.

One of the reasons we fly in business is to be able to carry on a fair amount of gear. Nothing excessive in weight, but cameras, laptops/tablets and a CPAP machine adds up as far as size and number of bags. We have everything insured but you still risk arriving at your destination without the gear you need and you likely will have to wait on your return to replace what you've lost.
Yes, I have always had far worse experience on BA and especially SN.
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Just to compare:

LOT has similar weird hand baggage regulations, but - in practice - they will allow you to take 1 piece of hand baggage - including a wheelie bag. As long as it is a single piece, they will say nothing.

Still do not understand how larger hand baggage will prevent COVID... Just safety theater?
asnovici, cheltzel, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post

Still do not understand how larger hand baggage will prevent COVID... Just safety theater?
I dunno, I guess some considerations are driving the rules. Maybe bags in overheads generate quite a lot of movement storing them, and then retrieving stuff mid-flight: there's also unwanted proximity to aisle passengers achieving these ends. The COVID regime seems aimed at minimising movement and passenger interaction.
Old Jun 25, 20, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
All the airlines that operate scheduled flights in Turkey ( Turkish Airlines, AnadoluJet, SunExpress, Pegasus, Onurair, Corendon ) are not allowing cabin baggages within the cabin and have similar procedures.

I also assume that it's all a safety theater. IMO, most of the people who are flying at the moment are not flying because of the safety precautions but because they need to fly or they want to fly. People who are afraid of being infected by the virus or people who prefer to minimize the possibilities of being infected are still not travelling by airplane.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: