Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK post-COVID Long-Haul Operations and Scheduling Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Palal
The up-to-date information about TK long-haul operations could be found here in this WIKI. Please keep in mind that the schedule is always subject to change and the information in this WIKI could be invalid anytime.

This WIKI is last updated at:
08 July 2020

The CURRENT FLIGHT PLAN is published here, but SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED, as Turkish Airlines published a list of services that were to resume in July. Many of these promised services have since been cancelled.
It is advisable that you DO NOT TRUST ANY PUBLISHED SCHEDULES FROM Turkish Airlines as the airline has changed schedules at a moment's notice, leaving passengers stranded.
A number of cancellations have occurred 1-2 days before a long-haul flight was due to take place in early July (e.g. LAX)
The airline call centers are hard to reach if you want to change your flight.
If you buy a ticket you will not get your money back until the situation is over.
Thus it is advisable to look at historical on-time performance for the route you are considering booking and seriously consider alternative options if you want to get to your destination and not be stranded.

Routes that are Suspended until August

Beijing ( resuming 1 Aug )
Bogota ( resuming 2 Aug )
Guangzhou ( resuming 1 Aug )

Hanoi ( resuming 1 Aug )
Ho Chi Minh City ( resuming 1 Aug )
Xian ( resuming 1 Aug )

Routes that are Suspended until September

Buenos Aires ( resuming 3 Sep )

Routes that are Suspended until October

Caracas ( resuming 1 Oct )
Colombo ( resuming 1 Oct )
Durban ( resuming 1 Oct )
Havana ( resuming 1 Oct )
Male ( resuming 1 Oct )

Maputo ( resuming 2 Oct )
Phuket ( resuming 1 Oct )

Routes that are Suspended until the S21 season

Osaka
Tokyo Narita

Seasonal Routes that are Suspended for the S20 season

Moroni

New Routes that their Inaugural Flight has been Postponed

Newark ( postponed to 1 Aug )
Vancouver ( postponed 1 Sep )
Print Wikipost

TK post-COVID Long-Haul Operations and Scheduling Issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
looks like TK has stopped selling flights from IST-MLE on most days in october except for tuesday and friday. or course we were due to leave on a thursday so looks like it will be canceled although haven’t gotten the official confirmation yet.

honestly, QR has been the only semi reliable airline in all of this.
raporot likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

related to the above... does anyone know how often TK updates their flight plan? and how long it generally takes for the airline to cancel a reservation once they stop selling tix?

I was booked on an award ticket with Aeroplan and i’m hoping that as soon as TK officially cancels my reservation for my specific flight day (it is still showing as active in MMB), Aeroplan will be able to move my flight by one day so that i can make the connection on october 2nd. anyone know if that’s standard protocol? only reason i’m worried is that there is no business award inventory for my new dates for either flight (ORD-IST on 9/30 and IST-MLE on 10/2). but since this is a cancellation, the rebooking process might be handled differently.

if anyone has any insights, would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
Originally Posted by rvlcr
looks like TK has stopped selling flights from IST-MLE on most days in october except for tuesday and friday. or course we were due to leave on a thursday so looks like it will be canceled although haven’t gotten the official confirmation yet.

honestly, QR has been the only semi reliable airline in all of this.

how is TK handling this issue? I am booked on a flight for next week (i booked the ticket last week), but the flight is not able for sale as of now. I called the hotline, they told me everything is fine.... im suspicious though?!?!!?

If the flight is canceled, will they rebook on another airline? EK?QR?

Ticket showed as confirmed, but the flight is not bookable....?!?!?!
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
related to the above... does anyone know how often TK updates their flight plan? and how long it generally takes for the airline to cancel a reservation once they stop selling tix?

I was booked on an award ticket with Aeroplan and i’m hoping that as soon as TK officially cancels my reservation for my specific flight day (it is still showing as active in MMB), Aeroplan will be able to move my flight by one day so that i can make the connection on october 2nd. anyone know if that’s standard protocol? only reason i’m worried is that there is no business award inventory for my new dates for either flight (ORD-IST on 9/30 and IST-MLE on 10/2). but since this is a cancellation, the rebooking process might be handled differently.

if anyone has any insights, would be much appreciated!
Forget the cancellation for ORD-IST on 30 Sep, it would 99% operate.
For IST-MLE, I think that you would have a definite answer by 20 September.

TK does not have a consistent update pattern so it would not be correct to give an assumption.
Also, they usually send cancellation notices within 72 hours after the flight is cancelled and removed from sale.

For rebooking, I don't have an idea about the Aeroplan policy so I think that you should ask the same question at the Aeroplan board. When the flight is cancelled, you would need to contact Aeroplan to rebook as TK would not be able to touch your booking.

Originally Posted by LH600
how is TK handling this issue? I am booked on a flight for next week (i booked the ticket last week), but the flight is not able for sale as of now. I called the hotline, they told me everything is fine.... im suspicious though?!?!!?

If the flight is canceled, will they rebook on another airline? EK?QR?

Ticket showed as confirmed, but the flight is not bookable....?!?!?!
If the flight is cancelled, unless you contact a sales office and persuade the agent, TK would not rebook you on another airline. TK hotline agents do not have the power to rebook people on other airlines in case of IRROPS.

Also, within the next 72 hours, you should get a cancellation notice if the flight is not bookable. Obviously, there is the possibility that the flight is fully booked as well.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Forget the cancellation for ORD-IST on 30 Sep, it would 99% operate.
For IST-MLE, I think that you would have a definite answer by 20 September.

TK does not have a consistent update pattern so it would not be correct to give an assumption.
Also, they usually send cancellation notices within 72 hours after the flight is cancelled and removed from sale.

For rebooking, I don't have an idea about the Aeroplan policy so I think that you should ask the same question at the Aeroplan board. When the flight is cancelled, you would need to contact Aeroplan to rebook as TK would not be able to touch your booking.

If the flight is cancelled, unless you contact a sales office and persuade the agent, TK would not rebook you on another airline. TK hotline agents do not have the power to rebook people on other airlines in case of IRROPS.

Also, within the next 72 hours, you should get a cancellation notice if the flight is not bookable. Obviously, there is the possibility that the flight is fully booked as well.
Thanks ISTFlyer. Are you saying that even though they have already tentatively reduced their schedule from 5x weekly to 2x weekly on the IST-MLE route as of yesterday, it’s still not a guarantee that they will fly in october on tuesdays/fridays?! that’s ridiculous! is there anything in particular about the 20 september date?

I know that TK is operating TK730/731(IST-MLE-CMB-MLE-IST) on fridays on and off, so maybe it’s an indication that they will move to a more solidified schedule in october?

Ive checked the Aeroplan forum and it seems like AC can ask TK to force revenue availability for award tickets in case or cancelations so hopefully we have that covered in terms of shifting everything by 1 day.

agree that ORD-IST will 99% operate on 9/30 unless something catastrophic happens on 9/29
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Does anyone have any insight on why there are no flights from DXB to anywhere in Turkey right now? What would normally be a 4 hour flight and a couple hundred $$ is instead turning into a crazy routing via Europe with a crazy price to accompany it.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Does anyone have any insight on why there are no flights from DXB to anywhere in Turkey right now? What would normally be a 4 hour flight and a couple hundred $$ is instead turning into a crazy routing via Europe with a crazy price to accompany it.
Turkey and the UAE do not have good diplomatic relationships at the moment because of the new Israel-UAE agreement.
That's why there are no flights from Turkey to the UAE.
raporot likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Looks like TK has now updated their schedule up to 24th October - at least from 25th October it seems to be the previous "standard" schedule for most destinations. I got a few schedule change notifications via email today.
Interestingly (referring to the last two posts), DXB is again scheduled from 1st Oct.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Looks like TK has now updated their schedule up to 24th October - at least from 25th October it seems to be the previous "standard" schedule for most destinations. I got a few schedule change notifications via email today.
Interestingly (referring to the last two posts), DXB is again scheduled from 1st Oct.

Not yet on their website? I only see August to September.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Ive checked the Aeroplan forum and it seems like AC can ask TK to force revenue availability for award tickets in case or cancelations so hopefully we have that covered in terms of shifting everything by 1 day.
Wauw, good luck with that! I think TK couldn't care less about an AC award but will leave it to AC to rebook the pax (on flights with award availability)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Wauw, good luck with that! I think TK couldn't care less about an AC award but will leave it to AC to rebook the pax (on flights with award availability)
believe it or not, i actually got them to do it...
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Not yet on their website? I only see August to September.
looks like they removed august but didn’t add october...
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
looks like they removed august but didn’t add october...
Any update about DXB in October?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:28 pm

KUL - malaysia ban on countries with covid

At the moment there are 3 flights/week KUL-IST. Since Monday citizens from 23 countries (turkey, uk, spain, germany, italy, france...) are not allowed for essential travel. Even those with valid visa cannot come in. Malaysians cannot travel out.

Is this route stable or it will dissapear? Still can book for Oct
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Turkey and the UAE do not have good diplomatic relationships at the moment because of the new Israel-UAE agreement.
That's why there are no flights from Turkey to the UAE.
Any idea if DXB flights will go ahead (they can be booked from 1st Oct)?
DXB is still not shown as a destination on the website with the "current flight plan":
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-d...t-flight-plan/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.