Community
Wiki Posts
Search

📣Earn extra Miles with Miles&Smiles!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Are the non-bonus miles supposed to show up in my account instantly? I tried to buy but got an error message saying "technical error" and that my card would be refunded. At the same time I got an e-mail alert from my credti card informing me that the charge went through. My account is not showing the miles I bought, so I am not sure if the sale went through or not, it looks like the worst of both worlds: card is charged but miles not in account. I am not tempted to try again to re-do the transaction

For me...i just went to the regular link in my profile to buy miles. The bonus is supposed to be credited on June 30th so I didn't see it instantly.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:14 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
For me...i just went to the regular link in my profile to buy miles. The bonus is supposed to be credited on June 30th so I didn't see it instantly.
Yes I know the bonus will show up on June 30th, but I was referring to the non-bonus miles. Did they show up in your mileage account right away?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:19 am

Yes I know the bonus will show up on June 30th, but I was referring to the non-bonus miles. Did they show up in your mileage account right away?
Yes, the non-bonus miles showed up at my partner's account immediately. He also received an email stating the # of miles purchased and credited to his account immediately (after my credit card confirmation went through).
I hope the bonus miles will also be credited to his account (and not mine)... it should, right?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Do I miss something?
For 1500USD I can get 100.000 miles.
How to spend them?
Buying an award ticket?
if lucky BKK-Europe 90.000 miles + 500 Euro tax thus around 2.000 euro
When flying with award ticket no status miles credited to my M&S account?
I usually buy a promotion ticket for +-2.000 euro, conclusion: don't see the benefit paying 1500USD for miles now, not knowing any 2021 travel dates...
no_idea and raporot like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by tartempion
Do I miss something?
How to spend them?
Buying an award ticket?
I usually buy a promotion ticket for +-2.000 euro, conclusion: don't see the benefit paying 1500USD for miles now, not knowing any 2021 travel dates...
In our case, we are buying to top up the exact number of miles needed for a RT award flight. So it's not to buy the entire RT 90k miles needed for Europe to BKK (for example)... Also, TK has a smoother connection for us, and we don't need to be constantly on the look out for any future promotional deals that starts/ends with a different city and therefore need to make another separate connection flight there.
raporot likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Do I miss something?
No I do not think you are not missing anything. In your situation I do not think it's worth it indeed. Some objective valuations put the price of TK miles at about 1.3-1.7 cpp so the current promo is not particularly good nor particularly bad. Since it's borderline, I think it comes down largely to usage. For people who intend to use miles in the very near future, at the moment cash prices are on the high side without promos for many routes, and mileage availability is wide open. In such situations it makes it a no brainer to buy miles rather than pay for a ticket.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&S Elite+
Do I miss something?
Correct. This is one of the biggest disadvantages I see to this and similar offers. If you have already requalified, then it would be different. But not too many will be in that situation now.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mamak04
Yes, the non-bonus miles showed up at my partner's account immediately. He also received an email stating the # of miles purchased and credited to his account immediately (after my credit card confirmation went through).
I hope the bonus miles will also be credited to his account (and not mine)... it should, right?
First attempt at buying miles the screen froze after the pop-up box re checking with my bank, - called bank and the transaction had been denied, they cleared it for me to try again, same thing happened - called bank and transaction had gone through. 20 minutes later - still no email and no miles added to my account.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tobegold
First attempt at buying miles the screen froze after the pop-up box re checking with my bank, - called bank and the transaction had been denied, they cleared it for me to try again, same thing happened - called bank and transaction had gone through. 20 minutes later - still no email and no miles added to my account.
Typical TK incompetency - called TK, agent was typically unhelpful and just said to complete online feedback form. Called bank - TK had cancelled the second purchase attempt 40 minutes after it was approved. Tried again with same results, called bank and 3rd attempt was approved right away, still no confirmation or miles, call TK and get same useless response. What a F@##$d up system at TK, they generally have the worst agents, always takes 3-4 calls to get somebody who knows how to book an award flight. Not going to bother trying again as less than 25 minutes left to the bonus cut-off.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do I miss something?
How to spend them?
Buying an award ticket?
Your math isn't very good.

$1500 is 1340 euros for 100,000 miles. You only need 90k for a return in J so 1340 *0.9 = 1200 euros. + taxes and surcharges.

You're only paying surcharges if you fly TK and some other airlines. If you fly TG for example you'll just pay the actual government taxes.

Of course every individual circumstance is different. For everybody flying on a relatively cheap J route such as BKK, it might not make sense. For others with an expensive departure and/or destination airport, 1200 euros is going to be a really good deal. An even better deal if flying Europe to Oceania or South America...
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Your math isn't very good.

$1500 is 1340 euros for 100,000 miles. You only need 90k for a return in J so 1340 *0.9 = 1200 euros. + taxes and surcharges.

You're only paying surcharges if you fly TK and some other airlines. If you fly TG for example you'll just pay the actual government taxes.

Of course every individual circumstance is different. For everybody flying on a relatively cheap J route such as BKK, it might not make sense. For others with an expensive departure and/or destination airport, 1200 euros is going to be a really good deal. An even better deal if flying Europe to Oceania or South America...
You are correct, I did not calculate this through. 1200+taxes is a good deal.

The reason I did not think it trough is I have an award ticket for september 90k miles + 460 USD ex BKK which will probably get cancelled, vaguely planned TK flights ex BKK are 2 weekly flights and BKK airport certainly closed for normal flightsuntil ? BANGKOK — International flights are likely to resume as late as September, a top civilian aviation regulator said Wednesday.
Thus i will get my 90k miles back into my M&S account and adding 100k miles without knowing when I will be able to spend them...is a no thanks.
I need to fly to Europe late august early september and evaluating how to, flying CP via HKG is a possibility.
I do see QR to Doh and some KLM and AF some days. I will find a way out, but no TK miles purchases for now.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by mamak04
Perfect! Thanks for the answers!
3rd question, if anyone knows that buying TK miles is considered travel? I am thinking of using my Citicard.
Just to close the loop for my own 3rd question - Yes, the TK miles purchase was coded as Travel and I earned 3x TQ points when I used my Citicard.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:42 pm

Well...it is June 30th and no bonus miles...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite, QR Privilege Club Gold, Hilton Gold
No miles for me either....
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
July, 1st...
No extra miles for me too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.