Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chef in the air finished

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
and there you have, the balance to lowered service, the other side of the coin, is the cost of the ticket.

There was lots of bluster about never again flying BA when that carrier introduced charges for seat-reservation, checked bags and then later when they reduced short-haul catering. But BA's pricing is generally very competitive, quite often matching LCC's ...... they've been having full flights and made a profit.

Maybe time for TK to look at fares, and regain the keen competitive edge it used to have.

There's a promising marketing message in keeping people flying by offering lower fares, while reducing frills to make those low fares possible.
I don't have the history flying TK that most of you have. But with my limited experience (8 long haul segments), TK rapidly became one of my preferred international carriers. The IST lounge and onboard service are big reasons for this.

TK's pricing out of the US has rapidly gotten on the expensive side. My wife and I are looking at booking several international trips for 2021 and beyond (sub-saharan Africa, India, SE Asia) and TK has priced themselves out ot the market. Out of ORD and other nearby departure airports, QR has become far more attractive. We've found the QSuites product very nice and the onboard service and lounge at DOH to be nice as well. QR's prices to our target destinations are 10% to almost 50% lower than TK. depending on the specific destination.

From our perspective, if TK keeps their prices as high as they were before the current situation and significantly cuts back the soft product, we have no incentive to book on TK.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I'll share the details about the new catering system in this thread:

Turkish Airlines Catering Master Thread | Photos, Menus, Reviews ( 2019 onwards )
nacho likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by nacho
TK is special because of its food, if TK is going after BA's approach, why would one choose to fly TK instead of other *A members? QR offered status match to TK elites and they are definitely more than happy to take some of TK's customers.
Thank you for that!
As an ex QR flyer I moved to TK, love the IST lounge, good service but not up to QR and don't like the TK 2x2x2, used to QR A380 and bought cheaper biz ticks with QR.
But I value service and will try to status match with QR and pay the premium for top service.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:12 pm

I have just skimmed through this thread.
Flying Cook will be gone. Understood. But does anyone know how it actually change their onboard food service (quality & quantity) on a long haul biz class?

michaelmorio
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I have just skimmed through this thread.
Flying Cook will be gone. Understood. But does anyone know how it actually change their onboard food service (quality & quantity) on a long haul biz class?

michaelmorio
Check the Catering Master Thread.
The information is over there
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Check the Catering Master Thread.
The information is over there
Thank you.

michaelmorio
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.