Chef in the air finished

Old May 29, 20, 1:46 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Programs: M&S Elite+
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Believe me or not, there would still be people using TK and preferring them over other airlines even though they would have the same concept as Pegasus. TK has a huge Turkish customer broad, which claims that they wouldn't fly any other airline other than TK. Also, many people dream about upgrading themselves with Miles&Smiles miles on Turkish holidays, however, these people haven't learned that TK is blocking upgrade inventory on purpose on major holiday routes like IST-JFK; IST-LHR; IST-LAX; IST-YYZ on Turkish school and official holidays

BA was successful, eliminating IFE on shorter flights, removing meal services, inventing a Buy on Board, seat selection with money, etc... There are still some people who are willing to pay extra to fly them.
I have been pretty loyal to TK for several years. But that loyalty comes are a price. I expect better service and that means decent food in the air and on the ground along with the other benefits we have taken for granted. If TK downgrade the service then I will fly considerably less with them. BA might have been successful downgrading their service, but they lost me as a customer.
DaveS is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 2:05 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I have been pretty loyal to TK for several years. But that loyalty comes are a price. I expect better service and that means decent food in the air and on the ground along with the other benefits we have taken for granted. If TK downgrade the service then I will fly considerably less with them. BA might have been successful downgrading their service, but they lost me as a customer.
Definitely yes, I also expect from them a better service if they plan to hike up their prices because of COVID. It has been 8 "eight" years that I haven't flown TK long-haul ( mainly because of price hike-up on ex-IST tickets ) and if they go like this ( no cabin bag, packaged meals, no exit row seating for elites ), this timeframe would be even longer.

At least I'll be honest that their sales office personnel all around the world was always helpful towards me and the hotline agents always tried to help me within the scope of their powers.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 3:52 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Programs: M&S Elite+
Posts: 249
I had not seen the loss of exit row seating for Elites(+?). That would be a major disincentive for me. Most of my long haul flights have been on TK.
DaveS is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 3:59 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I had not seen the loss of exit row seating for Elites(+?). That would be a major disincentive for me. Most of my long haul flights have been on TK.
What I meant was that Elite's or Elite Plus's should either pay for those seats in advance ( like all others ) or it's available on airport check-in as a first come first serve basis regardless of status.
TK is one of the rare airlines in the world that does not offer exit-row seats for free or with any priority for their own top-tier passengers.

Usually, I get them on domestic flights at the airport but for international flights, I had occasions where I had no luck.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 5:05 am
  #20  
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
BA was successful, eliminating IFE on shorter flights, removing meal services, inventing a Buy on Board, seat selection with money, etc... There are still some people who are willing to pay extra to fly them.
But they have at least 60% of LHR slots

And even in this comfortable situation that had to improve service in long-haul C (Do & Co).

QR seems to be an airline that not only continues to serve the most major destinations but also offers normalish standards of service (especially in C).

Time will tell which strategy is better: cut to the bone or keep reasonable service standards.
Yoshi212 likes this.
TPJ is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 5:10 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
But they have at least 60% of LHR slots
TK has 90% of IST slots.

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
And even in this comfortable situation that had to improve service in long-haul C (Do & Co).
I don't think that the reason that they switched to Do&Co is the quality. Gategourmet was doing a pretty good job on BA long haul J.
Otherwise, they wouldn't eliminate the second light-meal service on 7-10h flights and convert it to a afternoon tea service that contains cold sandwiches and a small dessert.

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
QR seems to be an airline that not only continues to serve the most major destinations but also offers normalish standards of service (especially in C).
That's why I'm planning to fly QR on my next few long haul trips ( obviously not to Europe but to the Americas, Africa or on any trip eastbound )

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Time will tell which strategy is better: cut to the bone or keep reasonable service standards.
Indeed, we'll all see this. It's hard to pre-estimate it at this point.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 6:10 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,050
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Believe me or not, there would still be people using TK and preferring them over other airlines even though they would have the same concept as Pegasus. TK has a huge Turkish customer broad, which claims that they wouldn't fly any other airline other than TK. Also, many people dream about upgrading themselves with Miles&Smiles miles on Turkish holidays, however, these people haven't learned that TK is blocking upgrade inventory on purpose on major holiday routes like IST-JFK; IST-LHR; IST-LAX; IST-YYZ on Turkish school and official holidays

BA was successful, eliminating IFE on shorter flights, removing meal services, inventing a Buy on Board, seat selection with money, etc... There are still some people who are willing to pay extra to fly them.
A big customer base in Turkey doesn't mean that they can sustain their international routes with that standard. TK is competing with QR and EK - and the reason that TK is in that game is the level of amenity and food. I'm willing to waste my time to fly ex-EU to the US with TK because of their amenity and food, and if they are gone then why waste my time to go via IST? EU is not a small market and LH group is an alternative to TK if TK removes food and drink on short haul flights. If I want luggage inclusive fare to the US I can fly LOT.
craigthemif and DaveS like this.
nacho is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 6:26 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
A big customer base in Turkey doesn't mean that they can sustain their international routes with that standard. TK is competing with QR and EK - and the reason that TK is in that game is the level of amenity and food. I'm willing to waste my time to fly ex-EU to the US with TK because of their amenity and food, and if they are gone then why waste my time to go via IST? EU is not a small market and LH group is an alternative to TK if TK removes food and drink on short haul flights. If I want luggage inclusive fare to the US I can fly LOT.
Indeed yes, TK could not rely on these people on most of their routes but these people would be the recovery source of Turkish Airlines for a while. Not sure about ex-EU transfer pax but ex-EU O&D pax ( Gastarbaiter ) would also be the key this summer. Mostly, people coming to Turkey would be those people who are of Turkish descent, and they would be visiting their relatives and their village this summer.

However, as you mentioned, this does not mean that TK should stop focusing on transfer passengers, and yes, if they do not meet the demand of them in terms of amenity or food, they would lose a lot of customers in the future. And yes, LH group and A3 would be a huge alternative for those passengers who wish to have the pre-COVID standards, and yes LO has very competitive prices, if their IST schedule wasn't ridiculous ( long transfer times ) I would definitely take their $440 r/t offers to the USA or $500-600 r/t offers to the Far East. Plus, their PE product is generally the same price as TK Y ( especially in high season ).
nacho and DaveS like this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 7:56 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,050
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Indeed yes, TK could not rely on these people on most of their routes but these people would be the recovery source of Turkish Airlines for a while. Not sure about ex-EU transfer pax but ex-EU O&D pax ( Gastarbaiter ) would also be the key this summer. Mostly, people coming to Turkey would be those people who are of Turkish descent, and they would be visiting their relatives and their village this summer.

However, as you mentioned, this does not mean that TK should stop focusing on transfer passengers, and yes, if they do not meet the demand of them in terms of amenity or food, they would lose a lot of customers in the future. And yes, LH group and A3 would be a huge alternative for those passengers who wish to have the pre-COVID standards, and yes LO has very competitive prices, if their IST schedule wasn't ridiculous ( long transfer times ) I would definitely take their $440 r/t offers to the USA or $500-600 r/t offers to the Far East. Plus, their PE product is generally the same price as TK Y ( especially in high season ).
If QR clears our status match requests then QR will be our alternative ex-EU to Asia and LOT to the US (LOT is the only airline that includes bags for all fares AFAIK).
ISTFlyer likes this.
nacho is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 8:03 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
If QR clears our status match requests then QR will be our alternative ex-EU to Asia and LOT to the US (LOT is the only airline that includes bags for all fares AFAIK).
Same here, I'm also willing to take the ( 4+4 = 8h detour ) if QR continues to offer cheaper fares to the USA.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 8:57 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,050
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Same here, I'm also willing to take the ( 4+4 = 8h detour ) if QR continues to offer cheaper fares to the USA.
If they offer that ex-EU I might also be interested.
nacho is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 9:03 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Posts: 968
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I have been pretty loyal to TK for several years. But that loyalty comes are a price. I expect better service and that means decent food in the air and on the ground along with the other benefits we have taken for granted. If TK downgrade the service then I will fly considerably less with them. BA might have been successful downgrading their service, but they lost me as a customer.
+1. I have tried to avoid BA since their negative service changes. I would be sad to see TK follow BA's path of reduced service. Flying TK feels like a treat to me. I actually look forward to flying, even in Y.

That all said, I have Pegasus flights UK-Turkey in October as they were less than half the price of TK and I needed to make the trip cheaply or not at all.
DaveS likes this.
ankomonkey is offline  
Old May 30, 20, 12:47 am
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,869
Maybe time for TK to rethink its fare sructure

Originally Posted by ankomonkey View Post
+1. I have tried to avoid BA since their negative service changes. I would be sad to see TK follow BA's path of reduced service. Flying TK feels like a treat to me. I actually look forward to flying, even in Y.

That all said, I have Pegasus flights UK-Turkey in October as they were less than half the price of TK and I needed to make the trip cheaply or not at all.
and there you have, the balance to lowered service, the other side of the coin, is the cost of the ticket.

There was lots of bluster about never again flying BA when that carrier introduced charges for seat-reservation, checked bags and then later when they reduced short-haul catering. But BA's pricing is generally very competitive, quite often matching LCC's ...... they've been having full flights and made a profit.

Maybe time for TK to look at fares, and regain the keen competitive edge it used to have.

There's a promising marketing message in keeping people flying by offering lower fares, while reducing frills to make those low fares possible.
ankomonkey and ISTFlyer like this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old May 30, 20, 5:18 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,050
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
and there you have, the balance to lowered service, the other side of the coin, is the cost of the ticket.

There was lots of bluster about never again flying BA when that carrier introduced charges for seat-reservation, checked bags and then later when they reduced short-haul catering. But BA's pricing is generally very competitive, quite often matching LCC's ...... they've been having full flights and made a profit.

Maybe time for TK to look at fares, and regain the keen competitive edge it used to have.

There's a promising marketing message in keeping people flying by offering lower fares, while reducing frills to make those low fares possible.
Personally I don't support Buy your own food airlines and I don't buy HBO fares - especially for *A, HBO fare = no extra luggage allowance as *A which makes me mad. I'd rather pay a bit more to fly TK to get that all included and not needing to ask myself "Do I have allowance to bring this home?" constantly when I shop abroad and waste extra time in the air - if TK takes that away I'll have to fly LOT.

I have discovered fares have gone up after airlines introduced HBO fare, of course they are making a profit. Maybe it's ex-LHR that's cheap but certainly not ex-CPH. The fare I'm looking at it's like HBO fare that's used to be bag included fare. I want bags in I pay at least 1000SEK per person per way for United. Also, this structure prevents elite from buying their tickets via OTA because airlines doesn't sell bag fare through them, what they sell is HBO fare and add bags and that doesn't trigger the +1 bag for *A G.

You never know - those competitive pricing will encourage airlines to take more things away like lounge access.
Yoshi212 and DaveS like this.
nacho is offline  
Old May 30, 20, 7:36 am
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,869
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Personally I don't support Buy your own food airlines and I don't buy HBO fares - especially for *A, HBO fare = no extra luggage allowance as *A which makes me mad. I'd rather pay a bit more to fly TK to get that all included and not needing to ask myself "Do I have allowance to bring this home?" constantly when I shop abroad and waste extra time in the air - if TK takes that away I'll have to fly LOT.

I have discovered fares have gone up after airlines introduced HBO fare, of course they are making a profit. Maybe it's ex-LHR that's cheap but certainly not ex-CPH. The fare I'm looking at it's like HBO fare that's used to be bag included fare. I want bags in I pay at least 1000SEK per person per way for United. Also, this structure prevents elite from buying their tickets via OTA because airlines doesn't sell bag fare through them, what they sell is HBO fare and add bags and that doesn't trigger the +1 bag for *A G.

You never know - those competitive pricing will encourage airlines to take more things away like lounge access.

Sure i see that But, as you say, it's a personal view: and the evidence suggests that the option of the likes of lower-cost HBO fares can be a winner.

A colleague who did some work for Olympic years' ago told me that it was the accepted wisdom there that greeks would not travel on non-greek carriers, and wouldn't travel on airlines that didn't serve onboard meals. Then easyJet came along.
IAN-UK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: