Rookie question

Old May 27, 20, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Rookie question

Title suggests, noob question I can't figure out, but it doesn't really fit anywhere else that I can tell.

I'm attempting to book a flight on the Turkish Airways website. Hear me out here! I'm trying to book a business class ticket that's 5 segments, 4 are TK one is AC and that's the one in question.

Again, trying to book business class, the TK website shows Z class for the AC flight, which I'm under the impression is "discount" biz or "lowest" biz, whatever. But then the website tells me "there's no business cabin in AC 108 so you'll be seated in economy". Its a 788 YVR-YYZ, obviously there's a business class cabin, but I have to AGREE to the economy class before I can proceed. I don't wanna fight them later. If I'm booked into Z class, is there any reason why AC would seat me in Economy class?

It doesn't seem to matter which YVR-YYZ flight I pick. The same thing happens.

I could potentially book the flight on Expedia, I don't really wanna use an OTA, but I do trust them. My question about using Expedia, is will I still be eligible for the touristanbul and free hotel that the TK site informed me I would be?

Thanks for any help folks
Old May 27, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
That's probably a Turkish Airlines website glitch.
Air Canada "Z" is Business Class and you should be seated in Business Class if you purchase that ticket.
Old May 27, 20, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
That's probably a Turkish Airlines website glitch.
Air Canada "Z" is Business Class and you should be seated in Business Class if you purchase that ticket.
That's kinda what I was thinking, I just didn't wanna fight with them since I have to "agree" to it first in case there's any screw ups.

Do you know anything about the stopover programs? Let's assume I meet all the criteria (I do according to the website) if I book with an OTA can I still use the free hotel and tour? Or are those only with bookings from TK.com?
Old May 27, 20, 8:34 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking, I just didn't wanna fight with them since I have to "agree" to it first in case there's any screw ups.

Do you know anything about the stopover programs? Let's assume I meet all the criteria (I do according to the website) if I book with an OTA can I still use the free hotel and tour? Or are those only with bookings from TK.com?
You could book with an OTA and benefit from the tours, free transit hotel and the stopover program. There is no restriction on where you've booked the ticket.
However, according to reports here in FlyerTalk, be careful that specifically Expedia and some other OTA's are not helpful when you try to refund a TK itinerary or applying the generous TK ticket change policy so it would be better if you book directly with them.
Old May 27, 20, 8:43 am
Original Poster

TK's site was a little more expensive, but I was trying to book with them, 2 different credit cards...neither one went through.
Old May 27, 20, 8:47 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat

Have you tried on Google Flights? If GF prices it, there might be an option of continuing the purchase on turkishairlines.com - then the search parameters will be passed to TK system that may be able to sell the ticket. Otherwise Google Flights might redirect you to OTA that can price such the itinerary.
Old May 27, 20, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Have you tried on Google Flights? If GF prices it, there might be an option of continuing the purchase on turkishairlines.com - then the search parameters will be passed to TK system that may be able to sell the ticket. Otherwise Google Flights might redirect you to OTA that can price such the itinerary.
I haven't tried that, maybe I'll give it a shot, I found similar flights on Expedia to price out the same. Basically YVR-YYZ is operated by multiple A321 OR a 788 or 772 or 77W. Obviously I wanna fly on any of the widebodies. But the turkish site has given me issues even with the 321s. Expedia only found the 77W one, which is fine, of course I prefer to just buy directly from the airline itself. Which is what I was trying to do but the site doesn't seem to like either of my Canadian Visa cards.
Old May 27, 20, 8:53 am

I haven't tried that, maybe I'll give it a shot, I found similar flights on Expedia to price out the same. Basically YVR-YYZ is operated by multiple A321 OR a 788 or 772 or 77W. Obviously I wanna fly on any of the widebodies. But the turkish site has given me issues even with the 321s. Expedia only found the 77W one, which is fine, of course I prefer to just buy directly from the airline itself. Which is what I was trying to do but the site doesn't seem to like either of my Canadian Visa cards.
Place the reservation on hold for free if you are a Miles&Smiles Elite or Elite Plus member; and pay through the hotline, this should work.
Old May 27, 20, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Place the reservation on hold for free if you are a Miles&Smiles Elite or Elite Plus member; and pay through the hotline, this should work.
Star alliance gold not a Turkish elite tho
Old May 27, 20, 9:00 am

Star alliance gold not a Turkish elite tho
Then that trick won't work.
You could also try booking the ticket from zero via the hotline.

Also when purchasing from the TK website, be sure that the currency that you're willing to pay is the same as the currency of your credit card.
You could simply change it from the top right corner of the page when trying to book a ticket.
Old May 27, 20, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Then that trick won't work.
You could also try booking the ticket from zero via the hotline.

Also when purchasing from the TK website, be sure that the currency that you're willing to pay is the same as the currency of your credit card.
You could simply change it from the top right corner of the page when trying to book a ticket.
Yea I tried in TRY and CAD (my local currency) but no luck...

EDIT: So here's the skinny...as I said BOTH my Visas got rejected for some reason. There was clearly only 1 seat left at this price, because when I had it "held" on expedia, the turkish website would reprice the first segment at double the original price. I would get a price jump from $2600 to $3900 on Expedia if I held the seat on Turkish.

Finally I got the price back on the turkish site and tried my Amex. SUCCESS! I didn't really wanna use the amex, but what can you do?

If a mod wants to delete this thread, as it kinda boiled down to a conversation, feel free.

Thanks for the help gang.
Old May 27, 20, 9:24 am

Yea I tried in TRY and CAD (my local currency) but no luck...

EDIT: So here's the skinny...as I said BOTH my Visas got rejected for some reason. There was clearly only 1 seat left at this price, because when I had it "held" on expedia, the turkish website would reprice the first segment at double the original price. I would get a price jump from $2600 to $3900 on Expedia if I held the seat on Turkish.

Finally I got the price back on the turkish site and tried my Amex. SUCCESS! I didn't really wanna use the amex, but what can you do?

If a mod wants to delete this thread, as it kinda boiled down to a conversation, feel free.

Thanks for the help gang.
You're welcome.
It's always nice to keep threads here as these kinds of threads are generally used as a reference for future posters asking similar questions and encountering similar situations.
DaveS and reggiekush like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: