Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Options for award trip on Turkish this summer

Old Apr 27, 20, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

I have a trip booked on Turkish business for 4 tickets to Turkey this summer (early August). Paid 180000 miles + $765 to book Turkish business one way. Trying to figure out what we should do if we need to cancel or rebook. Thinking of postponing the trip to August 2021 or cancelling completely for now. Any ideas on what my options are with the Turkish Miles and Smiles, in terms of deadlines for cancelling etc.?

Lastly I am a 1K and therefore a Star Alliance Gold. Thank you for any help.
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by azfanboy View Post
I have a trip booked on Turkish business for 4 tickets to Turkey this summer (early August). Paid 180000 miles + $765 to book Turkish business one way. Trying to figure out what we should do if we need to cancel or rebook. Thinking of postponing the trip to August 2021 or cancelling completely for now. Any ideas on what my options are with the Turkish Miles and Smiles, in terms of deadlines for cancelling etc.?

Lastly I am a 1K and therefore a Star Alliance Gold. Thank you for any help.
Just to clarify did you book the ticket with UA miles or TK miles?
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Not sure where you are travelling from, but I would imagine this trip isn't going to happen. In fact, I think the flights will be cancelled. Wait and see what happens. You may face a whole bunch of travel restrictions, no insurance coverage, and limited infrastructure if you do get there. Postponing it for a year might not be the worst outcome.
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Not sure where you are travelling from, but I would imagine this trip isn't going to happen. In fact, I think the flights will be cancelled. Wait and see what happens. You may face a whole bunch of travel restrictions, no insurance coverage, and limited infrastructure if you do get there. Postponing it for a year might not be the worst outcome.
If the OP has booked with TK Miles&Smiles and if his ticket is on 235- stock;
The problem with postponing to next summer would be that TK would not allow the OP to extend the validity of the ticket up to then.
- It would be either until 1 year after he purchased the ticket
- It would be either up to 28 February 2021 ( COVID-19 voucher last-use date )
[ Whichever comes later ]
azfanboy likes this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I booked this directly with Turkish Miles and Smiles. So to be clear is cancelling the award ticket an option and rebooking next summer? Or is it only till 2/28/2021 that I can book this?

Also FYI this is from ATL to IST to Bodrum.
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:40 pm

I booked this directly with Turkish Miles and Smiles. So to be clear is cancelling the award ticket an option and rebooking next summer? Or is it only till 2/28/2021 that I can book this?

When did you book the ticket? This is also something important to determine the deadline.
By the way, your UA 1K status would be irrelevant in this situation as you booked with miles associated with a Classic? Miles&Smiles account.
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Yes, you can cancel and get your miles and taxes / surcharges back. There's a fee that I can't recall off the top of my head. @ISTFlyer will know for sure.

Your miles will revert to having the same expiry date as they had before you booked the awards. If they actually expired on 31 December, 2019 then they're as good as gone... (unless you pay)
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
When did you book the ticket? This is also something important to determine the deadline.
By the way, your UA 1K status would be irrelevant in this situation as you booked with miles associated with a Classic? Miles&Smiles account.
It was booked 12/17/2019.
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Yes, you can cancel and get your miles and taxes / surcharges back. There's a fee that I can't recall off the top of my head. @ISTFlyer will know for sure.

Your miles will revert to having the same expiry date as they had before you booked the awards. If they actually expired on 31 December, 2019 then they're as good as gone... (unless you pay)
Transferred those miles from Citi Thank you in November 2019. I believe the expiry is November 2022?
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Transferred those miles from Citi Thank you in November 2019. I believe the expiry is November 2022?
Always 31st December of the 3rd year after earned...
ISTFlyer and azfanboy like this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:52 pm

Your miles will revert to having the same expiry date as they had before you booked the awards.
It's $25 per ticket, however, I just wanted to be sure that the OP did not book this ticket with miles expiring on 31 December 2019. ( Update: As the OP has transferred miles on Nov 19, this is not the case here )

It was booked 12/17/2019.
OK, so you could either postpone your ticket until 28 February 2021 or get a refund for $25 pp. However, if you decide to get a voluntary refund, your miles would be re-credited immediately, however, you would get the refund of your taxes 2 months after the flight restrictions end according to the Turkish Civil Aviation laws.

By the way, if you're seeking for a date change, be aware that the new dates you wish to travel should have limited award availability.

Unfortunately, unless TK invents something in the future, you would not be able to postpone your travel to August 2021.
azfanboy likes this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, so incredibly helpful!
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:57 pm

Thanks guys, so incredibly helpful!
You're welcome, I'm glad that I was able to help
azfanboy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 20, 2:00 am

Programs: TK*G
. If they actually expired on 31 December, 2019 then they're as good as gone... (unless you pay)

The Italian office replied by email that the miles expiring on 12/31/2019 and not used because the flight is / will be canceled due to COVID-19 will not be lost. I don't know the new deadline they will have, but they told me this
Old Apr 28, 20, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Maux View Post
The Italian office replied by email that the miles expiring on 12/31/2019 and not used because the flight is / will be canceled due to COVID-19 will not be lost. I don't know the new deadline they will have, but they told me this
Yes, they are making exceptions for canceled flights, but not for voluntary cancellations when the booked flight is operating.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: