Award Reservation Refused Cancellation

Old Apr 2, 20, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob, AA Exp, HLT Dia, SPG Amb 100, AS MVP 75k
Award Reservation Refused Cancellation

I had an award reservation using Miles and Smiles for a United flight from the US to Mexico a couple weeks back. The flight wasn't cancelled, but I decided to not go as my state was on a lockdown and leisure travel to Cancun seemed irresponsible. I tried to call the US reservations number I booked the ticket with originally and there was a busy signal every day. I sent an email to the LA ticketing office that I have corresponded with in the past and received no response. I also messaged on Twitter and no response. I never got a response from Turkish before the flight date came and went. Now their phone line is open again, I was able to speak to someone. Not only are they not willing to refund the taxes of a flight not flown, I also cannot even pay the $50 "no-show" fee to have the miles redeposited. I spoke to two representatives and then a supervisor and they all told me that the Turkish government is not allowing any cancellations or refunds of tickets if related to Coronavirus. Is there any other way to escalate this issue?
Old Apr 2, 20, 2:04 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
You should be able to get your refund your ticket 2 months after the pandemic situation ends and get back the taxes, pay the $50 no-show fee and get your miles back. Unfortunately, as this issue seems voluntary and assuming that your flight operated, you would have one year after the original issuance date of your ticket to apply for a refund and mile redeposition.

Probably, due to the congestion of sales offices, they are unable to answer phones at the moment and answer e-mails, as they should be busy helping people who go there in person. Also, some of the sales offices ( including the two city offices in Istanbul ) are closed until further notice and that might be the case for the LA city office. I am not sure if the LA city office is working right at the moment so I wouldn't be able to comment on that.

By the way, if you have booked the ticket with miles expiring on December 2019, it would not be automatically refunded even if you paid the $50 redeposition fee for no-show and would require extra attention by the back office.
Old Apr 2, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
My TAP award flights later this month had been cancelled weeks ago, and the cancellation had not yet propagated to TK. The call center is completely useless (and with the VOIP issues very hard to use) and cannot cancel the ticket because it was bought at a sale office. The one e-mail I've got from a sale office, just stated that the flights are still showing on the ticket - no communication since then in any method (feedback form, e-mail).

I'm pretty much gave up on trying to cancel the ticket.

Note to safe - only book award tickets on TK metal on the website where some sort of self service is possible. Despite the fact that TK has many positive factors sometimes it seems like it a grocery shop in 1920 with the lack of ability to perform simple tasks and lack of basic customer service.
Alfredbali and TalkingPoint like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer View Post
Note to safe - only book award tickets on TK metal on the website where some sort of self service is possible. Despite the fact that TK has many positive factors sometimes it seems like it a grocery shop in 1920 with the lack of ability to perform simple tasks and lack of basic customer service.
Fair warning.

I also had issues with the VOIP they're using. My first call I was disconnect but called back and was rerouted to the same guy. He was clearly outside because I could hear traffic and people in the background and the noise from the wind was pretty distracting. I guess I'll try to deal with it once things have returned to normal.
Old Apr 3, 20, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint View Post
Fair warning.

I also had issues with the VOIP they're using. My first call I was disconnect but called back and was rerouted to the same guy. He was clearly outside because I could hear traffic and people in the background and the noise from the wind was pretty distracting. I guess I'll try to deal with it once things have returned to normal.
use Skype and call their call center in Turkey if youíre having VOIP issues. +90 212 444 0 849. Itís impossible to talk to someone using their US phone number at the moment because of VOIP issues.
Old Apr 4, 20, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer View Post
Despite the fact that TK has many positive factors sometimes it seems like it a grocery shop in 1920 with the lack of ability to perform simple tasks and lack of basic customer service.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Apr 5, 20, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by max_kolesne View Post
use Skype and call their call center in Turkey if youíre having VOIP issues. +90 212 444 0 849. Itís impossible to talk to someone using their US phone number at the moment because of VOIP issues.
I have been able to talk to 3 people using the phone number. They are just not providing any refunds on cancelled flights.
asnovici likes this.
Old Apr 6, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint View Post
I have been able to talk to 3 people using the phone number. They are just not providing any refunds on cancelled flights.
Agent from the UK line just told me she can refund the miles but not the taxes until 2 months after the restrictions have ended. Taxes are more than $500 on these tickets. I used a US credit card on these, should I just do a charge back?
Old Apr 6, 20, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Agent from the UK line just told me she can refund the miles but not the taxes until 2 months after the restrictions have ended. Taxes are more than $500 on these tickets. I used a US credit card on these, should I just do a charge back?
That's lucky. I would take that as my taxes were $120. The risk is that if you wait it out until you're eligible to request a refund, you may be outside the chargeback window. So you're at the mercy of their customer services, which hasn't proven to be very consistent in my experience.
Old May 13, 20, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
I think I owe an update on the situation.

It took couple of weeks (and a blast approach) to find a ticketing office that can and will cancel the ticket. On first pass they just voided the flights on the ticket.

Couple of weeks later the ticket office where the ticket was bought had cancelled the ticket completely (via e-mail communication).

The good part - the taxes were refunded to the credit card used to buy the ticket immediately (had to send a refund form and a photo ID via e-mail).

The bad part - some of the miles had expired at the end of 2019 and have not returned to the account. I'll update if I can get TK to re-instate them.
36902BRF likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 1:37 pm

Another updated -

The miles that expired at the end of 2019 that were used to buy the cancelled ticket have been return to my account with expiration date of 31 December 2020.

They state they cannot refund the taxes (but they have already been returned).

All in all, no push back was required and the result is satisfactory.
Old May 25, 20, 4:11 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Thank you for reporting back. It just proves what has been told many times in this forum - you need to deal with the local ticket offices rather than the call center agents to get things done.
Old May 25, 20, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Thank you for reporting back. It just proves what has been told many times in this forum - you need to deal with the local ticket offices rather than the call center agents to get things done.
The cancellation was through the local office. They could do nothing about reinstating the miles.

The miles were reinstated by using the contact form on the website.

We just need to realize that TK is not one stop shop - and find the right contact to the task at hand.
Old May 28, 20, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Taxes are more than $500 on these tickets.
I don't think that governments combined are charging such a high amount of taxes. Please check your eticket again.
Old May 28, 20, 4:33 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
I don't think that governments combined are charging such a high amount of taxes. Please check your eticket again.
TK charges a lot of Misc Fees on award tickets including the carrier surcharge while some other *A partners do not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: