Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by tboons
Is their call Center in US working? IDD calls to Turkey is expensive. Any idea?
Just call the local TK number in your country. The call will transferred and will be replied by a call center agent somewhere. No need to call Turkey,
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:53 am

Help needed!

trying to book an open jaw and stopover online but cannot. Called the US and SINGAPORE office but cannot get through.

can I book Sin-Ist-Berlin now, then change it SINGAPORE-IST-Ham, Ber-Ist/X-Singapore by paying a 25usd change fee?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Apperently here are too many who believed "the last minute" extension. Based on what? TK extended last year in the first week of December and first time in history. There is no such thing as " TK is known about last minute extensions or changes". Yet, there are some who recommended to wait until the last day. Now those who listended cannot get through to book awards. The miles would be deducted when tax payment has been done, not before. Although my calls were answered in five seconds by Elite line, I could not pay the taxes. There was a message that I must pay in TK sales office. Could be that miles needed were more than on my account and balance went to minus. Good luck to last minute bookers!
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Apperently here are too many who believed "the last minute" extension. Based on what? TK extended last year in the first week of December and first time in history. There is no such thing as " TK is known about last minute extensions or changes". Yet, there are some who recommended to wait until the last day. Now those who listended cannot get through to book awards. The miles would be deducted when tax payment has been done, not before. Although my calls were answered in five seconds by Elite line, I could not pay the taxes. There was a message that I must pay in TK sales office. Could be that miles needed were more than on my account and balance went to minus. Good luck to last minute bookers!
Just booked two round trip tickets CDG SIN in J absolutely no problem
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:37 am

I was finally able to book a United Airlines flight using the call center after calling multiple times and issues with processing payment last night.

The first two either could not find it or said they couldn’t see the seat availability. The third one was able to find the United Airlines flight when I told her the origin and destination and created a reservation code. When it got time to credit card payment to pay the taxes in lira over the phone, the first attempt did not work but the second attempt luckily did. However this third agent tried to process the miles deduction and was not able to after attempting about 4 times for me to enter my pin. She told me to call again to try to process the miles payment. I called a 4th agent and she trouble processing the miles payment also but she said let me try something else and whatever she did finally worked.

It may take many calls and hours of time to do this! I must have been on the phone for a few hours.

Hope this helps anyone who is still trying to use their miles in the last few hours.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Just booked two round trip tickets CDG SIN in J absolutely no problem
Booking TK flights through Elite line or website it should not be a problem. Guess you did have not better things to do in the last day of the year.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Booking TK flights through Elite line or website it should not be a problem. Guess you did have not better things to do in the last day of the year.
I was really counting on an extension but if I can take the trip I booked, I'll be happy. 63,000 miles to Singapore round trip is a great bargain
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: TK*G
I used my expiring miles yesterday but in my mother’s account there are still her miles. Expiring date written is 31.12.2021… 😂😂😂

Last edited by Maux; Jan 1, 2022 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
I was also a naive believer about an extension. Nevertheless managed to book some decent trips .. Quite a rush! I saw options dissapear in less than 5 minutes! Did anyone try using a VPN to extend the booking timeframe or is the the booking timeframe based on the accounts country of residence ?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Did anyone try using a VPN to extend the booking timeframe or is the the booking timeframe based on the accounts country of residence ?
The deadline for miles expiration each year is on 31 Dec 23:59 Turkish time, not our local time, so it's fixed and same for everyone everywhere.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: TK E+
On one of my accounts which had around 10K miles expiring on Dec 31 2021, these miles now appear as expiring in Dec 31 2022...
I wonder whether miles that were about to expire in 2021 that were used for a booking and may get redeposited (if canceling the booking) will also get the extension.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bamba70
I wonder whether miles that were about to expire in 2021 that were used for a booking and may get redeposited (if canceling the booking) will also get the extension.
Yes, this would def. be interesting to get clarified. Who will be the first to cancel?

I booked 3 award tickets to burn +100k miles on 31 Dec. - all of these are reservations that I may not be able to use or I'm not really interested in.

If true, I would prefer to get my miles back (without fee by waiting for a cancellation or schedule change)
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles
Originally Posted by bamba70
On one of my accounts which had around 10K miles expiring on Dec 31 2021, these miles now appear as expiring in Dec 31 2022...
So does this mean TK actually extended the miles' validity for a year without announcing it ???
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by eyes_turned_skyward
So does this mean TK actually extended the miles' validity for a year without announcing it ???
Could be. Possibly. I am under the impression TK does a lot of things without announcing them. No expiring miles, so cannot give any data point.
But I am wondering about elite plus upgrade vouchers . Completely lost track.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by eyes_turned_skyward
My expiring 1550 miles have been withdrawn from the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.