Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
So are we still counting on a further extension?
same hope here.. if nothing, I will book tomorrow a random ticket to DXB.
Quite frustrated with TK during this whole pandemic situation - one of the bigger airline which seems to be behaving quite arrogantly.

Cheers!
AirCanada881 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If /the minute any extension is announced the number of new M&S award bookings will plunge. Most likely right now TK is seeing a surge in award reservations and tickets being issued which I suppose fits TK very well.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
There has been a lot of emails and Facebook advertising for everyone to use the points, so I am guessing that there won’t be any last minute extension? Or am I wrong?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iamaho
There has been a lot of emails and Facebook advertising for everyone to use the points, so I am guessing that there won’t be any last minute extension? Or am I wrong?
It sure looks like it/I have the same impression
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I wouldn't be surprised if they extend miles last minute but I also wouldn't be surprised if they let expiring miles go away as they have stopped extending status for passengers who didn't met the thresholds.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In principle it would be possible for TK to decide during the first days of January that miles with expiry date 31 Dec will be extended and not deleted from the accounts. I don't see any need for this decision to be taken and announced neccesarily today or tomorrow if the aim is to get members to use their miles.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
In principle it would be possible for TK to decide during the first days of January that miles with expiry date 31 Dec will be extended and not deleted from the accounts. I don't see any need for this decision to be taken and announced neccesarily today or tomorrow if the aim is to get members to use their miles.
It would be poor marketing & communication on their part if they did that post expiry in my opinion. Not something we are foreign to with them that being said.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I cancelled an award ticket yesterday booked with miles that were going to expire 12/31, and I was going to book another route but the miles are still not back in my account.
TK customer service is as useless as always; first feedback form was replied back with an incorrect answer (they said I won’t earnmiles because I’m flying on an award ticket). Second feedback form sent today isn’t answered yet. I’m afraid if they don’t redeposit those miles by tomorrow I’m never gonna see them again. I really do hope that they extend the validity beyond tomorrow.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
I think the most important point and easiest solution is getting lost in the several pages of "how to book something I don't want to fly in the hope of catching a schedule change"-idea here:
TK website says we can simply re-activate them back AFTER they expired if we do so within 12 months.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS (for activating miles)

Spoiler

a.) the price is the same as to extend them before 31/12
b.) we have several months to think about it and no worries / stress tomorrow
c.) and it seems even better than extending, because re-activating them "valid 3 years as of the transaction" would mean we could reactivate in November = effectively 4 years

Someone else already mentioned that several posts ago, but it got lost in the re-booking stuff - did we all just not see this, or is there a catch (I looked carefully 3 times and can't see one)?
Did anyone use this option?
This seems to be by far the best (and easiest) solution to me:
Wait until next week (I don't think they are going to extend it for free this time) and then take your time to reactivate them once we know how travel develops and where we want to go.

zap!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles
When I spoke to their (very polite) agent at the local TK sales office a week ago, she said there would be no more miles validity extensions because "travel was back to normal". I thought to myself, if travel was really back to normal I would be catching a flight tomorrow as originally planned, but I'm not because many destinations have reinstated quarantine requirements...

On a separate note: Do you know if it's possible to book a return award ticket with the arrival and departure airports being in different cities, albeit in the same region by TK classification (i.e. Kathmandu and Delhi)? I can't find such an option on the website, so it seems it's only possible to book two separate one-way award tickets. Is there an option to have them on the same reservation?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyes_turned_skyward

On a separate note: Do you know if it's possible to book a return award ticket with the arrival and departure airports being in different cities, albeit in the same region by TK classification (i.e. Kathmandu and Delhi)? I can't find such an option on the website, so it seems it's only possible to book two separate one-way award tickets. Is there an option to have them on the same reservation?
Sure, no issue but you need to call TK to book; It is not possible online. I just did two more complex award bookings (point of return different than point of origin + 1 open jaw ticket) by calling TK. As Elite there is no waiting time so it worked pretty well.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:47 pm

Is their call Center in US working? IDD calls to Turkey is expensive. Any idea?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Current, "very generous" policy? Strangely it would seem that in recent months that those on really cheap tickets, especially those with no status were able to make free changes (if the same class was available, etc) However also in recent months E+ members and the like on long haul Biz tickets have regularly been hit with charges of $170 and greater even if the same fare class existed, no change in taxes, whatever...........and the CS people come up with all sorts of lies to try and cover it, but it is just a spurious service fee that is not a tax, is not a ticket change fee or anything else.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:28 am

I am trying to use my miles that expire 12/31 (was hoping for extension). I am now finding out that you cannot book United rewards flights online. I just called the 1-800 number and they cannot find the flight that I want on United Airlines from SFO to Hawaii in September 2022 on the phone. I tried two call center agents. One of them suggested that I call United Airlines and ask them to use my Turkish Airlines miles to book the flight. That doesn't seem possible.

I will try calling the San Francisco Turkish Airlines City Office in the morning (the office opens at 9am local time), but it seems like my window is closing.

Worse case, do I pay to extend the miles and then ask Turkish airlines to reimburse me for the fee to extend the miles since it is Turkish Airline's fault that their website is broken?

Or can I let the miles expire, and ask them to re-instate it because the Turkish Airlines website is broken?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travels007
Worse case, do I pay to extend the miles and then ask Turkish airlines to reimburse me for the fee to extend the miles since it is Turkish Airline's fault that their website is broken?

Or can I let the miles expire, and ask them to re-instate it because the Turkish Airlines website is broken?
Forget it, not going to happen.

Try call TK again and spoon feed the agent with flight No. to see if they can find it - or book another itinerary/flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.