Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 12, 21, 3:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 21, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
On the contrary, my personal feeling tells that miles might be indeed extended last minute depending on the situation or at least TK would think about extending mileage for those who have an address in a certain geographic area.
I have had multiple TK award bookings cancelled and refunded BY THEM due to flight cancellations this month, so I'm left with around 20k miles still expiring on 31DEC21. TK has suspended flights to the airports nearest to both my home and my second home, so there really is a limit on what I can do to use the miles in time before expiry. I've burned nearly 200k already for travel in January but the promo sale makes it even harder to spend the miles balance down!!!
Old Dec 27, 21, 5:31 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Have anyone heard any updates on whether miles will be extended?
Old Dec 28, 21, 9:45 am

Is 20K worth paying $200 for extending 3 yrs? I'm thinking maybe, but .... I've got 30K and not sure I want to extend, esp w/issues w/their economy. I'm no economist but could next 3 yrs see bad news for extending miles? Devaluation? Other stuff? I bet if I book an award, it changes/cancels, that those miles will disappear.

Last edited by bluedog44; Dec 28, 21 at 10:00 am
Old Dec 28, 21, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by egokcen View Post
Just received a "friendly" email from TK letting me know that I have miles expiring on 31-12-2021 and that I can extend them or use them. Still hoping they will extend them! BTW, has anyone been able to clarify if there's any benefit to extending them before the expiration vs. reactivating after?
I've written a post about this as well, earlier in the thread. Would it be correct to assume that if we don't extend it by 31 Dec 2021, we would have until 31 Dec 2022 to reactivate them if we choose to do so before the end of the year?
I cannot see any difference in benefits between doing it now vs. doing it later.
Old Dec 28, 21, 9:11 pm

Ought to be getting close to the mad scramble if we don't hear something soon!

By my email, the 12/31/2020 extension to 6/30/2021 was 12/5/2020 and from there the extension from 6/30/2021 to 12/31/2021 was 6/28/2021. And it's now 12/29/2021 in Turkey.

I'm sitting on 60k due to expire and eyeing this 30% promo but don't have much confidence on getting my dates or destinations correct. So I may try and grab something and hope for an involuntary schedule change or cancelation. Anyone have any experience if they will let you convert to an open ticket during an involuntary and then rebook within region from a promotion rate or will they require the promo mile discount to be made whole back to the non-discounted rate (63k v 90k biz US-EU1/2)?

Also curious if anyone is willing to volunteer their best guesses at destinations in Europe 1 or 2 that you see likely TK cancellations or further delays to announced restarts that might trigger an involuntary cancellation?
Old Dec 28, 21, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by c5ruzr View Post
Also curious if anyone is willing to volunteer their best guesses at destinations in Europe 1 or 2 that you see likely TK cancellations or further delays to announced restarts that might trigger an involuntary cancellation?
Based on my past experiences, an involuntary cancellation will not reset your miles expiry automatically. They will "refund" the miles which promptly expire automatically and are lost. So you actually want to avoid that situation!!!
Old Dec 29, 21, 10:41 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Based on my past experiences, an involuntary cancellation will not reset your miles expiry automatically. They will "refund" the miles which promptly expire automatically and are lost. So you actually want to avoid that situation!!!
The OP was not inquiring about cancelling the ticket to get miles back, but to convert to open ticket which is something compl. different.

Originally Posted by c5ruzr View Post
I'm sitting on 60k due to expire and eyeing this 30% promo but don't have much confidence on getting my dates or destinations correct. So I may try and grab something and hope for an involuntary schedule change or cancelation. Anyone have any experience if they will let you convert to an open ticket during an involuntary and then rebook within region from a promotion rate or will they require the promo mile discount to be made whole back to the non-discounted rate (63k v 90k biz US-EU1/2)?
I believe the whole idea of coverting to an open ticket following a cancellation or schedule change > 15min, is that you will be able to use/rebook the open ticket later without repricing the ticket. I would expect this also to apply for M&S award tickets.
Old Dec 29, 21, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
The OP was not inquiring about cancelling the ticket to get miles back, but to convert to open ticket which is something compl. different.
Yes, but my experience is that they wont do this for awards. They will simply refund the miles which then expire. Hence my cautionary note!
Old Dec 29, 21, 10:40 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Yes, but my experience is that they wont do this for awards. They will simply refund the miles which then expire. Hence my cautionary note!
are we allows to change date for the same route? i.e book for May 2022 and change to Nov 2022?
Old Dec 29, 21, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by yauee View Post
are we allows to change date for the same route? i.e book for May 2022 and change to Nov 2022?
Date changes made by 31DEC21 were free (not sure if this has been extended), but anything done after that would be chargeable at the normal change fees.
Old Dec 30, 21, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by yauee View Post
And it will be repriced (for vol. rebookings) i.e. you will be asked for add. miles if you book a M&S award with the current 30% off
Old Dec 30, 21, 12:33 am

So converting to open ticket in case of cancellation /invol. schedule changes doesn't apply for M&S awards?
Old Dec 30, 21, 2:08 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
And it will be repriced (for vol. rebookings) i.e. you will be asked for add. miles if you book a M&S award with the current 30% off
Thanks. Dont think there should be a reprice i could be wrong

miles expiring tomorrow,
redeem tonight for end May 22(not 30%), April 22 can change the date to Nov 22?

thanks
Old Dec 30, 21, 3:31 am

Sure, you can rebook in April but you may have to pay USD 25 change fee, unless TK extends the flexible/generous rebooking policy (which is certainly possible)
Old Dec 30, 21, 3:34 am
formerly Wilko Pali Sedef

Programs: TK Elite+
So are we still counting on a further extension?

Search this Thread